Backwoods Traps Is Closed.

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jbenat
Posts in topic: 3

Backwoods Traps Is Closed.

Post by jbenat »

I knew it would happen sometime since there is so much new development close by, but was shocked when I and a couple of shooting buddies went to the Backwoods Traps on Hwy 380 to find it closed. It had officially closed last Saturday (4/15/2006) One of the owners was there and said it had been sold to a developer. It's where we got our CHL training and we shot there about once or twice a month. I'm going to miss that place since it's only about a 10 minute drive from my house. :cry:

We went to The Collin County Gun Range in Mckinney and had a great time but it's a lot further to drive and more expensive.[/b]
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

cgxd9sc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cgxd9sc »

:sad: I'm in total depression about this. There is no place with the shooting diversity as Backwoods had, archery, sporting clays, pistol, rifle and 10 minutes from house.
Semper Paratus
MCPO USCG (ret)

Topic author
jbenat

Know How You Feel!!!

Post by jbenat »

cgxd9sc wrote::sad: I'm in total depression about this. There is no place with the shooting diversity as Backwoods had, archery, sporting clays, pistol, rifle and 10 minutes from house.
What makes this story even sadder, we went to the Collin Co. Gun Range last Sunday. Sign on door says "closed today". The owner came out & explained that CCGR had been incorporated into the McKinney city limits. They now have to close on Sundays (his best day), open for only 7 hours on Saturday and only can be opened on weekdays from 8AM to 5PM when most people are at work. The judge says its perfectly legal & he had to comply! Owner, who is a ex (or maybe present ?) policeman, says it will bankrupt him & his father. This is his the thanks for his duty from his community. This range is located in a commercial area with little or no housing around it and the range faces nothing but bottom land.

I would like to know who this judge is. Maybe we could birrage him with letters to support the owner. :evil:

Outdoor ranges in the DFW area are under attack!!
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

age_ranger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by age_ranger »

That stinks. That was a great range. They had great deals on stuff in there too. I just got a membership at The Bullet Trap in Plano, but it's very limited to stand and shoot only, no rapid fire. Just punching holes in paper. Just barely enough for familiarization. I've heard that there's going to be another range opening up off 380 but it's goin gto be mostly LEO training and such. Not sure when they'll be starting construction, but it's supposed to be in McKinney.

I go to Bullet Trap or Garland now. Is there anywhere else? Someone told me there's a place off 35 somewhere that's pretty much a free for all?

Topic author
jbenat

Gun Ranges Under Attack!

Post by jbenat »

There is a article in the newest (July) issue of Guns & Ammo Magazine called "Shooting Ranges Under Fire" about the problems shooting ranges are having.

The Back Wood Traps was a great place to shoot. Rifles, pistols or shotguns and even a fishing lake. All out doors and about 5 minutes from my house. I didn't know how good I had it!

Age_ ranger: There is the Collin County Gun Range located between McKinney & Princeton on HWY 380. It has recently been incorporated into the McKinney city limits & is under attack by the good sheeple of McKinney. It's hours of operation are now limited to 8AM to 5PM weekdays & something like 10AM to 5PM on Sat. & closed on Sundays. I've only shot pistols there. Last time I was there (Sat. 5/20/06) and they were having LEO qualifying or training on the tactical range. Maybe that's the one you heard about. Contact them at http://www.ccgunrange.com or 972 562-4911 for better info.

We also shoot at the Bullet Trap occasionally. Pretty noisy and confining but at least it's a place to shoot. Last time I was there the guy next to me was shooting a 45. The concusion was blowing through the space in the little devider & the spent casings were bouncing off my head. A little too much togetherness if you ask me! :roll:

If you hear of another range opening up somewhere up here to the north of Dallas, please let me know. Maybe we should all go in together & buy a piece of land just for private use to shoot on. :idea:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder

tomc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomc »

age_ranger wrote:Someone told me there's a place off 35 somewhere that's pretty much a free for all?
You're probably referring to the Dallas Pistol Club located off of 35 and Belt Line Rd (club info). It is a private pistol club that has several action bays that you can do as you want.

The club holds matches most weekends that are open to the public. This Saturday, Jun 10, is a Personal Protection Match at 11:00 that simulates CHL type scenario's. Come out and watch, or bring toys and play with us. Ask for Tom and I'll show you around.
be safe,
be prepared,
tomc

age_ranger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by age_ranger »

I think it was the trinity river bottoms or something like that. I have a friend who goes out there with his class III stuff. I'll have to get more details. Supposedly it's off 35 somewhere, although I can't imagine where?? I left a message, he should get back to me today with details.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”