Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Re: League City (Galveston Co.): The Arms Room to expand

Post by seamusTX »

WildBill wrote:Maybe you should move.
Maybe I should rephrase that.

People who live in League City or Friendswood have many shooting ranges available, but they still have to live in League City or Friendswood. ;-)

I'm happy with what I have.

- Jim

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kevinf2349 »

A couple of observations.

The $12 per hour (any number of weapons) isn't too bad considering the convenience factor. The counter arguement is that Clear Creek range is just up 646 from it, but I dislike shooting there. Hopefully The Arms Room will be a nice friendly establishment. The guys and gals that work there are good folks.

Given the intense concentration of CHL holders in League City and Friendswood I have a feeling the range will do well and survive even if it is just on 'walk-ins', once people start having to wait an hour or so to shoot they will either pony-up for the membership, or pass by to another range.

Ammunition in the Wally World on 646/I45 will be even harder to come by!

I will definately visit the new range, but I will hold off on the membership until I win the lotto or until I have to wait ages to shoot :waiting:

Just my 2 cents :tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

nehumanuscrede

Post by nehumanuscrede »

driver8 wrote:Bayou Rifles Is on the other side of Manvel. It's similar to PSC, about the same cost I think. They have a 1000 yd range(not that I need it). It was a pretty nice setup as I remember, been about 10 yrs since I shot there. But it is a membership thing like PSC.

The only reason I don't have a membership there is due to the fact they disallow the calibers that excel at that range.
( No Chey-Tac, no .338LM and absolutely no .50BMG )

I'm guessing the backstops aren't designed around those calibers and potential insurance issues with the range of the bigger guns
if a round decides to leave the grounds . . . . .

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

My wife and I finally made it to The Arms Room today.

I give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
  • The place is modern, clean, well-lighted, and well-ventilated.
  • The staff is friendly and attentive.
  • It's run safely without feeling like boot camp.
  • The equipment is first-class.
  • They have a lot of rental handguns.
  • The store is clearly the best stocked south of Houston (didn't look at prices).
The $5 holiday rate is still in effect through tomorrow.

I think it would be a good bargain at $12 per hour. It's very convenient if you live or work nearby. You don't waste time with cease-fires. You could do quite a bit of shooting in one well-organized hour.

(By contrast, a typical session at a membership range or a range with a one-day fee includes a lot of non-shooting fooling around.)

I also couldn't help but notice how many families and couples were there.

The only negative was the wait time. It was approximately one hour at 1:15 p.m. today. However, the check-in lady let us register, go to lunch, and come back to shoot.

Well done. Whoever drew up the business plan looks like a genius now.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

jacobsd8195

Post by jacobsd8195 »

seamusTX wrote: The only negative was the wait time. It was approximately one hour at 1:15 p.m. today. However, the check-in lady let us register, go to lunch, and come back to shoot.
I went a couple of times before the December $5 special and there were only a few people shooting. I went on Dec. 17 and they were busy, but didn't have to wait. My wife and I went on the 27th and had to wait at least 45 min and the place was packed. Tried to go again on the 29th to take advantage of the $5 rate, but it was going to be another 45 min wait.

I wonder how much of the after Christmas business were people trying to take advantage of the December rate, or people wanting to shoot their new Christmas gifts and/or entertaining out of town relatives.

Regardless... it is a top notch place and I'm glad that it is only a few miles away!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Many people have vacation around this time of year. That probably contributed to the number of patrons.

It also seems (to my casual observation) that there's an increase in consumer confidence, meaning that people are spending money. Retail spending this year was reportedly the highest ever (which it needs to be every year in a healthy economy).

- Jim

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

We went a couple times after Christmas and didn't have to wait much on one day. Another day they told us it would be 30 - 45 minutes. We had our lane in less than 20. Went one day and arrived right as they opened. It was a work day I had off between Christmas and New Year. Went right in, got a good hour in, and it wasn't getting busy until we left. We've shot at the Clear Creek range a lot as well. It's rarely crowded. But the wife REALLY hates the cold so if the temp is below about 75 we'll likely be going to the Arms Room. The CC range is kind of hit and miss on the RSO. Some days they're pretty good, some days you never see them, some they're hovering range ninjas. Never had a bad experience with an RSO at the Arms Room so far.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Return to “Shooting Ranges”