Range Report.....The Arms Room 12/03/2010

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 2

Range Report.....The Arms Room 12/03/2010

Post by Kevinf2349 »

After a long (too long) a break for lots of hardly credible reasons, my wife decide to go visit the range today. The objectives were :

Shoot the Taurus 709 with the sights I put on myself.
Shoot the wife's new Sig P238.
Let the old Glock G30 clear it's throat a little.
Get some more range time under our belts and blow the cobwebs off.

We arrived at The Arms Room about 3pm and were pleased to see that we got the December special! One hour, $5 per person :thumbs2: That is awesome value!

My wife and I got lanes next to each other with no waiting. :thumbs2:

My wife loves....make that LOVES the Sig. (and she shot the snot out of the target with it too) she had just one FTF but that was in the first magazine. After that....it just ran like a train. She rattled through about 100 rounds so it was a good first outing. I shot a few through it and it is a really sweet gun. I think I may have caught the 1911 bug after shooting this 'mini'. I have to say that shooting the P238 after having shot the Taurus and the G30 was like picking up a BB gun. Very little recoil, light but crisp trigger pull. Not a bad little mouse gun. We would certainly recommend one to anyone.

The Taurus had about 50 put through it and the new sights were sooooooo much better than the old ones. The triangle front sight was an awesome addition (even if I do say so myself). Put that downward point right between the two dot back sights and it goes right to the POA. All in all, very pleased with the sights now and the gun never had a failure. I truly believe that if Taurus are serious about the 709 becoming a viable carry choice it needs night sights fitted as standard.

The Glock was.....well exactly what you would expect, accurate and reliable. This was the seond outing since having T's fit some new night sights and that gun is quickly becoming scary accurate. The gun is my prime carry and my night stand piece so I like to shoot it everytime we visit the range. I was a little disappointed with my one handed (strong and weak) shooting at 6 yards, but they were all in the kill zone so I shouldn't really complain I guess.

All of the objectives were met and I was delighted with all the guns. The range was, as usual, clean, well lit and very friendly...the $5 per hour was icing on the cake for a very enjoyable spell at the range.

After shooting we went into the store and ended up buying a spare magazine for the Sig and a flashlight for 'she who must be obeyed'. The only black spot on the day was having to see a Champion Safe on display while I am still waiting for mine to be delivered...5 weeks and counting from the time I bought it! I am getting a little disappointed in Lone Star Gun Safe's lack of communication and remorse. They originally said it would be 2 weeks....they lied! If I hadn't have called them I would still be waiting for them I am sure. :waiting: :mad5

:tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

txcshooter

Re: Range Report.....The Arms Room 12/03/2010

Post by txcshooter »

Sounds like you and your wife had a real good time...Do you know if the December special ($5/hr) is valid all day and on weekends? I actually called last night to find out their fees and was told it was $12/hr. :headscratch
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

I am happy to update that I just called again and was told it is $5/hr and will be all month, hence DECEMBER special. :lol: I don't know why they didn't tell me that when I called before but I'm just happy the special is still on so I gotta stop typing now so I can get ready and GO!! :fire C yall later!!
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

Slowride
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Slowride »

What sights did you put on the Taurus 709 ? Mine shoots low and needs something different.

Topic author
Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Slowride wrote:What sights did you put on the Taurus 709 ? Mine shoots low and needs something different.
Strictly speaking I didn't put new ones on...just modified the ones that were already there.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38258

Now when I put the point of the triangle on the bottom of the rear sight in the middle it shoots right at POA. :thumbs2:

Interestingly it used to shoot low too but I put that down to just getting used to the long trigger pull. It seems fine now.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

XinTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by XinTX »

We've used a few ranges around the area. Mostly that outdoor range in SE League City (forget the name now). But the wife loves the indoor range (with the one exception where they were busy on a Saturday and we ended up on the rifle side). She loves her 238 as well. But she has the 'rainbow' version. That ensures I won't take off with it.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Return to “Shooting Ranges”