Heard a rumor about a new Range in Katy

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
whodat1
Posts in topic: 1

Heard a rumor about a new Range in Katy

Post by whodat1 »

There is a gunshop on Mason road in Katy called Tactical Firearms. At present, the have a virtual firing range. That's to say they have these rooms with a computer driven firing range and software 'guns'. One of my coworkers tried it, but it's not my cup of tea.

I use Tactical Firearms for FFL transfers, as do many others. The last time I was in there, about a dozen other people were also picking up FFL transfers. I mentioned to the guy waiting on me that it was too bad they didn't have a real firing range so I could try out my new rifle. He replied that they are in the process of building an indoor firing range a bit further south on Mason road.

This is the part that got me though. He said this was going to be an indoor rifle range that could handle up to .50 BMG. He said that the only other range like it was at Ft. Benning I think. He said they would be opening this fall. Then he got called away as they were rather busy at the moment.

I can't say for sure but he seemed very sincere about what he was telling me. I'll post further if I hear anything more.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

woodsong
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Heard a rumor about a new Range in Katy

Post by woodsong »

Neat! I live right around the corner from Tactical Firearms -- I'll pass that way and see if they have any more information.

woodsong

Post by woodsong »

Checked it out at lunch. They said the new range will be a couple of blocks south on Mason (in the Spec's - Ace Hardware area). Won't be open till the end of the year. They don't have anything on prices or memberships yet.

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I had a bad experience with them. Hope they improve their customer service with the range.
KE5HLZ
NRA Life Member

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

How much do they charge for FFL transfers? I live really close by, but for some reason, I was thinking their fees were a little on the high side.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

indoor rifle range: is there that much money in gun ranges, I can't even imagine how much that would cost. Ok I'm wrong, I can, 3000 ft x 5 ft x $120 = 1.8 million per lane. interest on that at 7% = $345 per day + taxes and insurance say $400 per day. divide by 10 hours a day $40 dollars per hour actual cost. So rent at $100 per hour.

But are there that many rifle shooters willing to pay that. Assuming shooting twice a year you would need 365/2 x 10 shooters in the Houston area = 1825 per lane.

Ok it is feasible. But if that second competing range opens your toast.

woodsong

Post by woodsong »

Katygunnut wrote:How much do they charge for FFL transfers? I live really close by, but for some reason, I was thinking their fees were a little on the high side.
They charge $35.00 -- which is on the high side. I've been using Lone Star Rod & Rifle (at the Barker Cypress Airport) who charges $25.00.

WolfeJager

Post by WolfeJager »

woodsong wrote:
Katygunnut wrote:How much do they charge for FFL transfers? I live really close by, but for some reason, I was thinking their fees were a little on the high side.
They charge $35.00 -- which is on the high side. I've been using Lone Star Rod & Rifle (at the Barker Cypress Airport) who charges $25.00.

$35? thats not too bad. I had to pay about $60 once or twice down in League City.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Can't believe they would have a thousand yard inside range. The longest inside rifle range I have seen is 100 yards. Most are much shorter than that. That takes your cost down considerably.

g31357

Post by g31357 »

I went, they charge $30 per hour, way too much. Nice range thoough and all digital as far as moving the target and stuff, still i rather spend half the price at memorial shooting center and move my own damn targets.

NighthawkGRP

Post by NighthawkGRP »

Stay away from them.. they are crooks.. I live 5 minutes from them, but shoot at Spring Guns in Spring...

They have horrible prices and I saved over $100 on a XDM that they claimed they had the best price :nono:

When you call it goes to an automated service and will be on hold..only to speak to a rude person..

read the reviews on them..

Somebody has to pay for the brand new facility they have... It will NEVER be me.

Spring is only $16 an hour for the range.. :fire :tiphat:

For FFL transfers.. go to http://www.10ring.com/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have used them twice.. $20 FFL fee.
Sniper grey/Black GRP Nighthawk Custom

rev210

Post by rev210 »

I stopped by here once to check it, it was a nice range however I find $30 to be to much also, the firearm prices seemed a little on the high side but not to bad but then again I am comparing them to the prices the San Antonio gun shops have which are through the roof.

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

Boy some of you guys are abusing yourself's at the range. I can go to hotwells on tuesdays and shoot pistol all day long for $5.00. Last time rifle and pistol cost me $14.00.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”