Bullet Trap

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bullet Trap

Post by jiannichan »

I've gone there a few times. I went there for my CHL and introduced a few friends and coworkers to go there to for their CHL. The last time I was there, one of their "range master" yelling at my friend to put away his camera or leave, that they weren't allowed to take pictures in the range. A few bays over had people taking pictures as well as people in the adjacent room. He didn't say a word to them and continued on to sweeping the floors. We packed up and left after that. Neither me or any of my friends and co-workers go there any more.
-jchan

toytec07
Posts in topic: 4

Post by toytec07 »

I know this is a very old post and this being my first post, I may not sound like I know anything. However I do frequent the Bullet Trap. Usually once or twice a week, I actually take my dad up there to teach him how to shoot. Has anyone on here actually worked retail, or better yet retail at a gun store. It is a little difficult to always keep an eye on both front and back counters. Most of the guys up there are allowed by the management to sell guns so if you ask for help, you should get it. The new guys who don't have experience in the store can't sell you a gun as the management won't allow it.

For the people who seem to have issue with their customer service, again I say...have you worked retail? Have you worked retail in a gun store? Try dealing with idiots all day who point loaded weapons at you saying their gun is jammed and not lose your cool. Try wondering if that customer you just sent to the range who didn't look like "he was all there" will end up on the floor with a hole in his head, yes that happens too. It will eat at you for the rest of your days wondering if you could have stopped that by just helping him out.

The reason they do not allow pictures on their range is insurance. Something to do with their insurance policy asks them to prevent it. Do you really want a picture of you standing in a stall shooting your kids little 22 pistol at a target that looks like you shot with a 12 gauge? Yes, I have seen that.

Now on to the range. Yes, their facility is older. If you can't tolerate the cold in the winter, grab a jacket or hoodie. In the summer they do they best they can with what they are given. The reason behind not having the A/C is because the cost of adding the filtration system and maintaining it would cause they prices to skyrocket to offset that cost. Typically they clean their range every two weeks on Sundays before the store opens. That is a pain, as I have cleaned indoor ranges before. The need to follow OSHA standards while cleaning is of the utmost importance.

Yes, they are under new management. The new owner is a great guy, I have met him a few times and he is very courteous. He is in the process of making upgrades to that range along with breaking ground on a new range in the DFW area that is supposed to be among the largest indoor ranges in the country. cut the guy some slack, he isn't like the old owners. More of a business man than the people pleaser who will come out and shake everyone's hand in the store.

I apologize this being my first post on here, but sometimes it really bothers me when people trash a companies good name based solely on one experience with that company.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dave2 »

toytec07 wrote:I know this is a very old post and this being my first post, I may not sound like I know anything. However I do frequent the Bullet Trap. Usually once or twice a week, I actually take my dad up there to teach him how to shoot. Has anyone on here actually worked retail, or better yet retail at a gun store. It is a little difficult to always keep an eye on both front and back counters. Most of the guys up there are allowed by the management to sell guns so if you ask for help, you should get it. The new guys who don't have experience in the store can't sell you a gun as the management won't allow it.

For the people who seem to have issue with their customer service, again I say...have you worked retail? Have you worked retail in a gun store? Try dealing with idiots all day who point loaded weapons at you saying their gun is jammed and not lose your cool. Try wondering if that customer you just sent to the range who didn't look like "he was all there" will end up on the floor with a hole in his head, yes that happens too. It will eat at you for the rest of your days wondering if you could have stopped that by just helping him out.

The reason they do not allow pictures on their range is insurance. Something to do with their insurance policy asks them to prevent it. Do you really want a picture of you standing in a stall shooting your kids little 22 pistol at a target that looks like you shot with a 12 gauge? Yes, I have seen that.

Now on to the range. Yes, their facility is older. If you can't tolerate the cold in the winter, grab a jacket or hoodie. In the summer they do they best they can with what they are given. The reason behind not having the A/C is because the cost of adding the filtration system and maintaining it would cause they prices to skyrocket to offset that cost. Typically they clean their range every two weeks on Sundays before the store opens. That is a pain, as I have cleaned indoor ranges before. The need to follow OSHA standards while cleaning is of the utmost importance.

Yes, they are under new management. The new owner is a great guy, I have met him a few times and he is very courteous. He is in the process of making upgrades to that range along with breaking ground on a new range in the DFW area that is supposed to be among the largest indoor ranges in the country. cut the guy some slack, he isn't like the old owners. More of a business man than the people pleaser who will come out and shake everyone's hand in the store.

I apologize this being my first post on here, but sometimes it really bothers me when people trash a companies good name based solely on one experience with that company.
So how long have you worked there? ;-)

Seriously, though, I don't personally have anything against them. In fact, nearly half of my collection came from the Bullet Trap. When did they go under new management?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

toytec07

Post by toytec07 »

Dave2 wrote:
toytec07 wrote:I know this is a very old post and this being my first post, I may not sound like I know anything. However I do frequent the Bullet Trap. Usually once or twice a week, I actually take my dad up there to teach him how to shoot. Has anyone on here actually worked retail, or better yet retail at a gun store. It is a little difficult to always keep an eye on both front and back counters. Most of the guys up there are allowed by the management to sell guns so if you ask for help, you should get it. The new guys who don't have experience in the store can't sell you a gun as the management won't allow it.

So how long have you worked there? ;-)

Seriously, though, I don't personally have anything against them. In fact, nearly half of my collection came from the Bullet Trap. When did they go under new management?

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :mrgreen:
Well I have plenty of friends who work there. So I hear all of the horror stories. I have worked at other ranges around the country. All ranges are essentially the same when you work at one. I have worked indoor and outdoor.

They came under new management I think summer of last year. Don't think he fully took over till maybe September/October last year.

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 21

Post by sjfcontrol »

toytec07 wrote: Yes, they are under new management. The new owner is a great guy, I have met him a few times and he is very courteous. He is in the process of making upgrades to that range along with breaking ground on a new range in the DFW area that is supposed to be among the largest indoor ranges in the country. cut the guy some slack, he isn't like the old owners. More of a business man than the people pleaser who will come out and shake everyone's hand in the store.
Really?? I asked if the new owner was there, and was told he only showed up occasionally. I asked his name was told he doesn't let them (the clerks) give out his name. Asked about a phone number -- nope. Left my card with request he call me -- never did. He's a ghost.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

toytec07

Post by toytec07 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
toytec07 wrote: Yes, they are under new management. The new owner is a great guy, I have met him a few times and he is very courteous. He is in the process of making upgrades to that range along with breaking ground on a new range in the DFW area that is supposed to be among the largest indoor ranges in the country. cut the guy some slack, he isn't like the old owners. More of a business man than the people pleaser who will come out and shake everyone's hand in the store.
Really?? I asked if the new owner was there, and was told he only showed up occasionally. I asked his name was told he doesn't let them (the clerks) give out his name. Asked about a phone number -- nope. Left my card with request he call me -- never did. He's a ghost.
Yeah, he wants to be a kind of silent owner. He leaves it up to the managers to run things out on the floor and in the range. He handles all the behind the scenes business part of it. Typically if I have an issue I go to Mark or Lonnie. They have had some small "restructuring" of their chain of command.

mdoan300
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mdoan300 »

I stopped going to the Bullet Trap because they would not let me shoot 5.7x28mm ammo in their rifle range. That was the last straw. Even if they built their new indoor range next door to me, I will not go.
HK / FN / BCM

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jiannichan »

toytec07 wrote: The reason they do not allow pictures on their range is insurance. Something to do with their insurance policy asks them to prevent it. Do you really want a picture of you standing in a stall shooting your kids little 22 pistol at a target that looks like you shot with a 12 gauge? Yes, I have seen that.
I don't buy this. I don't mind that they tell me I can't take pictures, but don't single us out and ignore the others in the range that are doing the same thing. If it is their policy, I can follow it and will respect it. My problem was he walked right by the others and didn't say a word. That was what bothered me and decided to leave. If you want to keep trying to defend them, that's fine too. I no longer go there so they can keep doing whatever they want.
-jchan

toytec07

Post by toytec07 »

jiannichan wrote:
toytec07 wrote: The reason they do not allow pictures on their range is insurance. Something to do with their insurance policy asks them to prevent it. Do you really want a picture of you standing in a stall shooting your kids little 22 pistol at a target that looks like you shot with a 12 gauge? Yes, I have seen that.
I don't buy this. I don't mind that they tell me I can't take pictures, but don't single us out and ignore the others in the range that are doing the same thing. If it is their policy, I can follow it and will respect it. My problem was he walked right by the others and didn't say a word. That was what bothered me and decided to leave. If you want to keep trying to defend them, that's fine too. I no longer go there so they can keep doing whatever they want.

Well I'm not really defending them, a few of the employees I do count as my friends. We do hang out on weekends and I do go shooting with them when they have a day off, which isn't very often. They have lost alot of their better employees because they aren't paid enough to deal with all the crap that people put them through there. And it isn't always crap coming from the customer, they let go several of the manger-types that were causing alot of problems.

As far as the enforcing the picture taking on you and not someone else, I don't know what to tell you. I would have brought it up to the employee at that moment and said fix them if you are going to fix me. Also, it says it in their rules you are "supposed" to read before you go onto their range. Did you read the rules? Did you find the secret line to ensure you read the rules? Can you tell me that little tidbit of information? Otherwise, if you do decide to go back read the rules...it will make your life easier at a gun range and the range officers job alot easier. There was a saying we had in the Marines, "Police your own." In other words take care of each other so we(the higher ups) don't have to get involved. If you see someone breaking the rules and the employee doesn't correct it, do you just stand by and let it happen? Or do you man up and say something? Your choice.

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Toytec -- Just to be clear, are you suggesting that he enforce a range-rule against a fellow customer? A rule with no obvious safety implications, and one with which he doesn't even agree?

If I were in his position, I can understand his being miffed at being singled-out -- however I would NOT try to enforce a rule against another customer where safety was not at stake. It's not my job, and why should MY lack of joy be used to prevent someones else's?
Never Forget. Image

speakEasy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by speakEasy »

Bullet trap is very overpriced on everything.

The indoor firing line is heated/cooled though; gonna have to disagree w/ a few people on that one. I do credit them, for taking care of that. I won't bash just for the sake of bashing something.

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

speakEasy wrote:Bullet trap is very overpriced on everything.

The indoor firing line is heated/cooled though; gonna have to disagree w/ a few people on that one. I do credit them, for taking care of that. I won't bash just for the sake of bashing something.
When was the last time you were there in the summer? It DEFINITELY isn't cooled. Even spoke to them about it. They didn't care. (I said "It's pretty hot back there...", their response was, "And it's gonna get hotter!") This was this last summer.

They may have some space heaters, but the last time I was there when it was cold outside, they weren't using them (last winter). Had to quit when I started to shiver.
Never Forget. Image

rentz
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rentz »

sjfcontrol wrote:
speakEasy wrote:Bullet trap is very overpriced on everything.

When was the last time you were there in the summer? It DEFINITELY isn't cooled. Even spoke to them about it. They didn't care. (I said "It's pretty hot back there...", their response was, "And it's gonna get hotter!") This was this last summer.

They may have some space heaters, but the last time I was there when it was cold outside, they weren't using them (last winter). Had to quit when I started to shiver.
I was there today, they had some heaters blowing down onto the lanes, not sure if this is new or not. Was fairly comfortable.
I wont go there in the summer anymore though i'm tired of dripping sweat when i'm done. I'd rather go outdoor if im going to be in heat

testersbc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by testersbc »

i have only gone there a couple of times and both those the fan was blowing down my neck so it was a little chilly. Other than the price for the lane i was happy with the experience. :txflag:

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I shoot there a lot myself and I can tell you that on hot days, you will swelter! I have come out of there dripping wet with sweat. In the cold weather, you will leave with frost bite on your nose. With all this, you still get choked to death by smoke. The problem is the way they have the ventilation laid out. Someone obviously did it on the cheap and had no clue of what they were doing. BTW... ventilation and HVAC are what I do for a living and I can assure you the system they have is not set up properely. I still shoot there and have bought many guns from them. Never bought any ammo as it is usually very expensive. The gun prices are fair. The range prices are much cheaper if you have a membership and buy a shooting card. Right now I am paying about 6 bucks per trip... my card is almost used up and I hope it has not gone up a lot.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”