Bullet Trap

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

discoqueen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bullet Trap

Post by discoqueen »

PPC - It seems to me as though you may have a vested interest in Eagle Gun Range, and are talking trash on the competition.
Women prefer to learn from women.
You do not represent all women, so there is no way you can say that as fact. I don't care if the person teaching me is a man, woman or martian, as long as they know what they are talking about and don't bring ego into the equation - which sadly, I sense that you would. That's how your post reads at least.

I found your website (even though it's entered wrong in your post) and it kind of confirms to me that your ego would be brought to the training.

:banghead:
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Vested interest or not, she is dead on about the air ventilation at The Bullet Trap. After one hour in there, I was coughing up the foul taste of gunpowder from my lungs for the entire day. They definitely have an issue with the vent system that is not getting corrected.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

she might be right about the ventilation, but if she's not registered to instruct at that range, then she's basically encroaching on their turf, so no they aren't going to appreciate it. And I don't "prefer" to learn from a woman, I prefer to learn from someone who knows what they are talking about, doesn't talk down to me, isn't cocky, and respects me.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 21

Post by sjfcontrol »

By the way, they DON"T use brooms to "sweep" the brass. They are properly using squeegees to "push" the brass. This is the proper way to move brass with minimal disturbance of any lead dust. A broom on a shooting range is an OSHA violation.

At one time, several years ago I thought I saw them using brooms, but it's been squeegees for some time now.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Napier
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Napier »

I am not so much concerned about lead dust wafting through the air as the stuff that comes flying at 1000fps. Far and away the greatest threat on the range is idiots. Like the female shooter (perhaps the 'Rap critic?) who came out of her stall into mine pointing her pistol at me saying "This is jammed. Can you help me?" Being an idiot myself, I did, while gently giving some range etiquette pointers. Shooting is not nearly as dangerous as shooters.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

sjfcontrol wrote:By the way, they DON"T use brooms to "sweep" the brass. They are properly using squeegees to "push" the brass. This is the proper way to move brass with minimal disturbance of any lead dust. A broom on a shooting range is an OSHA violation.

At one time, several years ago I thought I saw them using brooms, but it's been squeegees for some time now.
I wondered what happened to the brooms over at BassPro's range. They have had brooms and squeegees, but within maybe the last six months the brooms disappeared.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dave2
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dave2 »

C-dub wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:By the way, they DON"T use brooms to "sweep" the brass. They are properly using squeegees to "push" the brass. This is the proper way to move brass with minimal disturbance of any lead dust. A broom on a shooting range is an OSHA violation.

I wondered what happened to the brooms over at BassPro's range. They have had brooms and squeegees, but within maybe the last six months the brooms disappeared.
I used to shoot at Targetmaster all the time, and they always had brooms. I haven't been there in a couple months, so I don't know if they're still there.

How is a broom different from a squeegee?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dave2 wrote:
C-dub wrote:

I used to shoot at Targetmaster all the time, and they always had brooms. I haven't been there in a couple months, so I don't know if they're still there.

How is a broom different from a squeegee?
The bristles stir up the lead dust. Ever sweep a dirty driveway? As you push, the action of the bristles "throws" the dirt up into a cloud in front of the broom. A squeegee, especially if not firmly pressed against the floor (which isn't needed to move brass), just pushes mainly the brass leaving the dust alone. IOW, the broom creates a scrubbing action against the floor not present with the squeegee.

According to lectures at the NRA Range Development Conference, using a broom on a shooting range is an OSHA violation -- dangerous to the employee's health.
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote: The bristles stir up the lead dust. Ever sweep a dirty driveway? As you push, the action of the bristles "throws" the dirt up into a cloud in front of the broom. A squeegee, especially if not firmly pressed against the floor (which isn't needed to move brass), just pushes mainly the brass leaving the dust alone. IOW, the broom creates a scrubbing action against the floor not present with the squeegee.

Wow... glad to see the engineer in you isn't totally wasted on useless information. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote: The bristles stir up the lead dust. Ever sweep a dirty driveway? As you push, the action of the bristles "throws" the dirt up into a cloud in front of the broom. A squeegee, especially if not firmly pressed against the floor (which isn't needed to move brass), just pushes mainly the brass leaving the dust alone. IOW, the broom creates a scrubbing action against the floor not present with the squeegee.

Wow... glad to see the engineer in you isn't totally wasted on useless information. :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester: :biggrinjester:
He asked, I answered. Did you know the answer? :nono: :coolgleamA:
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

Yes I did, but was afraid of getting a post hog reputation so chose to wait for an answer I could critique. Thank you for the assistance. :mrgreen: I hope you know I am just kidding with you a bit.

BTW... something you might find interesting. My spell checker tries to change your nick name from sjfcontrol to scoundrel. :shock: What's that all about???

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

Yes I did, but was afraid of getting a post hog reputation so chose to wait for an answer I could critique. Thank you for the assistance. :mrgreen: I hope you know I am just kidding with you a bit.

BTW... something you might find interesting. My spell checker tries to change your nick name from sjfcontrol to scoundrel. :shock: What's that all about???
Must be a Winslows machine. :mrgreen: (Yes, I knew)
Never Forget. Image

GJwitha45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GJwitha45 »

A question then. Once the lead is swept and/or squeege'd up, what is proper, safe, legal procedure for handling and disposing of it from there?

Topic author
sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

GJwitha45 wrote:A question then. Once the lead is swept and/or squeege'd up, what is proper, safe, legal procedure for handling and disposing of it from there?
You squeegee up the brass, not the lead. You vacuum the range with a HEPA filtered, explosive-atmosphere-safe vacuum. (Since you're vacuuming up unburned powder, too.) Many range ventilation systems have acceptable vacuum outlets. Acceptable standalone vacuums are VERY expensive. 5-figures, I understand.

I don't know how the Bullet Trap does it, but that was the recommended method at the NRA conference. If you don't vacuum up the "green powder", you risk a range fire. Not a pretty sight!
Never Forget. Image

GJwitha45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GJwitha45 »

Is there a procedure for the removal of the lead and the other that goes "downrange" ?

I remember years ago trap and skeet ranges had equipment come in and scrape the ground, seperate the shot and re-establish the soil downrange.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”