Bullet Trap

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bullet Trap

Post by The Annoyed Man »

rentz wrote:I can't shoot more than maybe an hour there without being drenched in sweat.
Went to elm fork on a 100deg day mid afternoon and was more comfortable since the bays are covered for shade and there was a breeze.

only benefits i see to indoors now is if the weather is bad, or if you just don't want to wait for cease fire.
Mainly I go to Bullettrap when i want to browse whats for sale or test fire some things.

If I had a dpc membership i'd probably never go anywhere else.
I have a DPC membership, and they won't let me shoot my .308 rifles there. :mrgreen:

Consequently, I also shoot at Elm Fork. However, I am also in the process of tracking down a possibly available share at the Grand Prairie Gun Club. They have a 200 yard rifle range.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rentz
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rentz »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
rentz wrote:I can't shoot more than maybe an hour there without being drenched in sweat.
Went to elm fork on a 100deg day mid afternoon and was more comfortable since the bays are covered for shade and there was a breeze.

only benefits i see to indoors now is if the weather is bad, or if you just don't want to wait for cease fire.
Mainly I go to Bullettrap when i want to browse whats for sale or test fire some things.

I have a DPC membership, and they won't let me shoot my .308 rifles there. :mrgreen:

Consequently, I also shoot at Elm Fork. However, I am also in the process of tracking down a possibly available share at the Grand Prairie Gun Club. They have a 200 yard rifle range.

I don't own any rifles yet, but i've noticed a lot of ranges put bigger restrictions on rifles and rifle ammo.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Come out to Top Gun Shooting Club outside of Leonard.

It's bare bones right now, but the people are friendly and you can work your rifles out to 500 yards. :cool:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

AEA

Post by AEA »

I've been there and it is a nice range with no nonsense. :thumbs2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

Reading all this makes me glad I'm a relatively short drive to Lone Star Gun Range. No caliber restrictions. Way less restrictions than the indoor rang near me cheaper rates and better staff.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

C-dub
Posts in topic: 12

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
C-dub wrote:Bass Pro doesn't have AC either. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter and they still have to close once or twice a year for a week or two to clean out the lead.
Are you sure? I was in there with my wife a couple of weeks ago. It was hot as blazes outside, but the range was relatively comfortable. That may just be the AC from the rest of the store keeping the range from getting too hot, but after hearing multiple complaints of various types about the bullet trap, I won't likely spend any time there. Besides, Bass Pro is maybe 5 miles from my house if I need an indoor range, and I have a DPC membership for shooting outdoors.
I'm not sure anymore. I think the last time I was there was with you.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

Have you checked out Great Southwest Gun Range on Main Street in Grand Prairie? It just opened early this year and their range has heat and A/C. Good folks running the place, also.

Don't get me wrong, you won't need a sweater because it's too cool this time of year, but it is pretty nice not to stand in a pool of your own sweat on a summer afternoon at the range.

I know that is a long drive from Plano, but it is a nice range.

My $0.02 worth...

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 21

Post by sjfcontrol »

mikeintexas wrote:Have you checked out Great Southwest Gun Range on Main Street in Grand Prairie? It just opened early this year and their range has heat and A/C. Good folks running the place, also.

Don't get me wrong, you won't need a sweater because it's too cool this time of year, but it is pretty nice not to stand in a pool of your own sweat on a summer afternoon at the range.

My $0.02 worth...
Yeah, it's even further from McKinney! :txflag:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

sjfcontrol wrote:
mikeintexas wrote:Have you checked out Great Southwest Gun Range on Main Street in Grand Prairie? It just opened early this year and their range has heat and A/C. Good folks running the place, also.

My $0.02 worth...
Yeah, it's even further from McKinney! :txflag:
Yep, you're right!

How about DFW Range on Mockingbird in Dallas. A little closer and a little bigger, but they have A/C on the lanes, too.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

sjfcontrol wrote:Went to the Bullet Trap in Plano this morning. The moment I went thru the range doors, I knew it wasn't going to be a pleasant shoot. It must have been at least 95 degrees in there.
Went there last Saturday - warm, but I wouldn't have given it a second thought had I not read the post.

Topic author
sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 21

Post by sjfcontrol »

AlaskanInTexas wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:Went to the Bullet Trap in Plano this morning. The moment I went thru the range doors, I knew it wasn't going to be a pleasant shoot. It must have been at least 95 degrees in there.
Went there last Saturday - warm, but I wouldn't have given it a second thought had I not read the post.
Only thing I can figure is that you haven't thawed out from Alaska, yet! (but you're a lot closer to thawed, now!) :evil2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Aggiedad

Post by Aggiedad »

When I was a member at Bullet Trap, my trips there showed me that customer service was very low on their list of priorities. I am now a former member and do my shooting elsewhere (DFW Gunrange). :tiphat:

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

I went last weekend with my sister in law. Only reason I went there was 1. Close to house , 2. Selection of rental guns. She was shopping for a new gun for cc. She tried the diamondback , the s&w bodyguard , lcp & keltec ( all .380s ) She wasn't crazy about any of them til I got the Sig p238. She loved it ( so did I ). Wanted to buy it but no dice didn't have one. So I made a call and found one for her ( cheaper too ).
Anywho , bout the heat in there was very hot might as well been outside. I don't frequent Bullet Trap very much, maybe once a year if that.
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

Wysiwyg101

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

I've been to the Bullet Trap a few times just lookin at stuff and once to shoot. They seem alright to me. Of course, I will say that when one of my complainst isn't picked up on with good customer service, then that kinda ticks me off. I probably would have felt the same.

Fisherman74

Post by Fisherman74 »

I know this thread is a month or so old.

I can tell you they just flat don't seem to care about customer service. Of course they seem to have business as it is.

For what they charge, they ought to be able to afford some AC.

I don't shoot or buy anything in there anymore. I did business with them years ago, but they have went downhill in recent years. Seems they have replaced a lot of the guys that used to be there, which may be part of the problem.

I will go in once in awhile to look around and check with the hope they have improved. The usual is they have about five clerks give or take behind the front check out counter, and maybe one clerk behind the gun counter, even though they may have four customers at the gun counter. Common sense would cause one to think a couple of those other clerks would step over, but they seldom do, they just continue what oftens seems to be their idle chit chat amongst themselves.

Needless to say, if you don't wait on customers you will not sell much.

It is a shame when a place with such potential is allowed to go downhill. I do hope they get things together one day.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”