Fire at DFW Gun Range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Fire at DFW Gun Range?

Post by howdy »

I'd be curious to know how their gun safes made out in the fire.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

paustin

Post by paustin »

Drove by last week when I flew into Love Field...can't wait for the rebuilding to begin :clapping:
______
Sig Sauer 226, 229
Glock 27
Beretta Nano

stroo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stroo »

DFW Gun Range is open again. They did a great job rebuilding. It has the same basic layout but they created more room in the shooting bays behind the red line. They really did a great job.

BTW, I was told today that the fire was started by someone who had just got an AR 10. He had trouble finding 308 rounds but asked at Cheaper than Dirt and they came up with two boxes. They didn't tell him they were tracer rounds and he didn't figure it out until he started shooting.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

stroo wrote:DFW Gun Range is open again. They did a great job rebuilding. It has the same basic layout but they created more room in the shooting bays behind the red line. They really did a great job.

BTW, I was told today that the fire was started by someone who had just got an AR 10. He had trouble finding 308 rounds but asked at Cheaper than Dirt and they came up with two boxes. They didn't tell him they were tracer rounds and he didn't figure it out until he started shooting.
He fired 20 some odd rounds into the backstop. They contracted with Action targets to build out the actual range. Really nice. I cannot wait to get back up there and shoot on it.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

jbarn wrote:
stroo wrote:DFW Gun Range is open again. They did a great job rebuilding. It has the same basic layout but they created more room in the shooting bays behind the red line. They really did a great job.

He fired 20 some odd rounds into the backstop. They contracted with Action targets to build out the actual range. Really nice. I cannot wait to get back up there and shoot on it.
Well, see, he was closing his eyes when that bad boy (the AR-10) went BOOM, so he never noticed the tracer until he was finally getting used to everything! :lol: :reddevil :eek6

<it's a joke, fellers>
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

stroo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stroo »

Yeah I have some problems with the part of the story that he didn't know they were tracers. That just doesn't make sense to me.

bulinm

Post by bulinm »

Good for them. Glad they're back.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?

jmra

Post by jmra »

bulinm wrote:Good for them. Glad they're back.
:iagree:
The more places for people to shoot the better.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

spolct

Post by spolct »

i drove by there a few weeks ago and it looked like it was getting close. it's always good to see a business rebuild after something like this. hopefully luna's will be rebuilding soon too...

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

stroo wrote:Yeah I have some problems with the part of the story that he didn't know they were tracers. That just doesn't make sense to me.
I've got a 20-round box of XM62 made by Federal, and if you just glance at the box looking caliber info, it's not all that hard to miss the "Tracer" bit. In fact, they only caught my eye at the store because, unlike every other non-bulk box on the shelf at the time, their packaging was just plain brown cardboard.

Now, they are clearly marked as tracers if you actually read the label, but I could see someone missing it if they weren't paying attention. I'd imagine you'd notice after the first shot, though. I mean I haven't fired any myself, but IIRC from TV, they're kinda glowy and stand-outish.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dave2 wrote:
stroo wrote:Yeah I have some problems with the part of the story that he didn't know they were tracers. That just doesn't make sense to me.
I've got a 20-round box of XM62 made by Federal, and if you just glance at the box looking caliber info, it's not all that hard to miss the "Tracer" bit. In fact, they only caught my eye at the store because, unlike every other non-bulk box on the shelf at the time, their packaging was just plain brown cardboard.

Now, they are clearly marked as tracers if you actually read the label, but I could see someone missing it if they weren't paying attention. I'd imagine you'd notice after the first shot, though. I mean I haven't fired any myself, but IIRC from TV, they're kinda glowy and stand-outish.
It's my understanding that tracer rounds take some time (distance) to get going (glowing). In a short range (25 yards?) I believe it's unlike the tracer would be noticeable. Also, if you assume a muzzle velocity of 3000ft/s, the round would take all of 0.025 (25 thousandth) seconds to traverse a 25 yd range. A mighty short time to notice anything at all.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

It's my understanding that tracer rounds take some time (distance) to get going (glowing). In a short range (25 yards?) I believe it's unlike the tracer would be noticeable. Also, if you assume a muzzle velocity of 3000ft/s, the round would take all of 0.025 (25 thousandth) seconds to traverse a 25 yd range. A mighty short time to notice anything at all.
But... but... on TV it's instant! Oh well, I guess that just goes to show how important it is to read the labels.

Incidentally, does anyone know where it's safe to shoot these things? When I got them, it was (and still is) my understanding that a fire is nearly guaranteed if the round lands before it "burns out" (and cools down). I don't even think I'd made it up to the cash register before it occurred to me that it'd take me a long time to find a place where it'd be safe to shoot them, but hey, what's $15 to legally own twenty incendiary devices? :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dave2 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

But... but... on TV it's instant! Oh well, I guess that just goes to show how important it is to read the labels.

Incidentally, does anyone know where it's safe to shoot these things? When I got them, it was (and still is) my understanding that a fire is nearly guaranteed if the round lands before it "burns out" (and cools down). I don't even think I'd made it up to the cash register before it occurred to me that it'd take me a long time to find a place where it'd be safe to shoot them, but hey, what's $15 to legally own twenty incendiary devices? :mrgreen:
I would suggest either the middle of a desert, or the middle of an ocean -- either should be safe from fires. (Well, excluding the Gulf of Mexico, of course.) :evil2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Shooting Ranges”