Ranges in San Antonio?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SigP250
Posts in topic: 1

Ranges in San Antonio?

Post by SigP250 »

I will be going to San Antonio a few times this summer, does any know/suggest of any nice ranges to go shoot at and for non-members? I have looked up some but just wanted to first hand suggestions. Thanks everyone! :patriot: :fire :txflag:

WinoVeritas

Re: Ranges in San Antonio?

Post by WinoVeritas »

My prefernce is outdoor Blackhawk about 17 mi. SSW. of downtown SATX off I-35. Friendly, generally not crowded (large pistol range with smaller secondary), wide open, reasonable pricing - no ammo though these days.

http://www.blackhawkshootingrange.com/B ... lcome.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nardis indoor is a bit pricey, but a really nice facility about 6 mi. east (I-10E) of downtown SATX and ammo available

http://www.nardisgunclub.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many around the city. Bracken range is just up the road from my house, but I still drive 70 mi. round trip to Blackhawk.

I've shot at Bass Pro Shop on I-10W - wasn't impressed, but will do. Then there's the Bullit Hole (I-90 NW), A Place To Shoot (due south)

You won't lack for ranges.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

If you don't mind down and dirty my favorite is Bexar Community* Range off of I10 east of San Antonio. It's about as basic as you get. A roof for shade, about eight steel tables and at least a dozen target stands. You can put one anywhere you want. You can even line up two or three. And there's no range officer. Everyone acts like adults and I've never seen a problem.

The ground is basically shell casings. I've seen one guy with a 5 gallon bucket and shovel scooping up casings.

*It's on Bexar Community Road.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

jmorris wrote:If you don't mind down and dirty my favorite is Bexar Community* Range off of I10 east of San Antonio. It's about as basic as you get. A roof for shade, about eight steel tables and at least a dozen target stands. You can put one anywhere you want. You can even line up two or three. And there's no range officer. Everyone acts like adults and I've never seen a problem.

The ground is basically shell casings. I've seen one guy with a 5 gallon bucket and shovel scooping up casings.

*It's on Bexar Community Road.
:iagree:
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RetNavy »

Will probably going with my wife to San Antonio in September to attend a conference being held for three days at the JW Marriot Resort north of of the city... closet range i found is Bracken Rifle and Pistol
Recreational Range... has any one used this range lately.... from what i see on thier website it sounds pretty good....

or any other good public ranges close by.... either indoor or outdoor doesnt matter

thanks

RetNavy
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I like The Bullet Hole but they charge 5 bucks for lifetime membership however they have cheap private outdoor lane rentals ($15 for 2 hours) which is a nice touch.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

robzgunz

Post by robzgunz »

In the NE area of SA, there's:
LoneStar Handgun Range
2661 N. Graytown Rd
Converse, TX 78109
210-745-2956
Monday-Saturday 10-6pm

They're celebrating being open for 1 yr, so everything still looks pretty good. :)

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

had nice visit in San Antonio this week.. 4 days at the JW Marriot Resort and Spa... pricey but her work paid for the room.... good food... visited Bracken Rifle and Pistol range yesterday and today.... shooting 400 rds of .45 and 9mm can make a range bag a whole lot lighter

if you get a chance to dine at the Cibolo Moon restaurant it is definitely worth the money.... as my wife said about the banana pudding we had for dessert.... "It's not your grandma pudding"
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

I'll be in the area and will check out Bullet Hole tomorrow even though I live much nearer Bracken.

Also looking to get the required TX CHL training as I just moved from Atlanta, GA.

Any recommended training from folks with recent experience with training in the San Antonio area, PM is OK if you want to stay off the record.

thanks !
You may have the last word.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

SA_Steve wrote:I'll be in the area and will check out Bullet Hole tomorrow even though I live much nearer Bracken.

Also looking to get the required TX CHL training as I just moved from Atlanta, GA.

Any recommended training from folks with recent experience with training in the San Antonio area, PM is OK if you want to stay off the record.

thanks !
I took my CHL class at Bullet Hole and was pleased with the level of instruction I received. I don't remember the instructors name but she works behind the counter there frequently and is very knowledgeable. Class was $70 and they brought out a BBQ truck for lunch but that was when the class was 11 hours.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

SA_Steve wrote:I'll be in the area and will check out Bullet Hole tomorrow even though I live much nearer Bracken.

thanks !
As far as the CHL goes, I HIGHLY recommend Tactical Safety Institute. If you're a veteran you won't beat their prices or quality. Non-vets is only $69! http://www.tac-safe.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

They use Bracken Gun Range for the range portion and are located just down the street from it.

For just range shooting in that area, I prefer Lonstar gun range as was mentioned above. Bracken is cheap but not the best. Lonestar is all steel reactionary targets. Lot's of fun there.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

jayinsat wrote: Lonestar is all steel reactionary targets. Lot's of fun there.
+1 :iagree:
NRA Life Member

SA_Steve

Post by SA_Steve »

Thank you
tac-safe it is
You may have the last word.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

SA_Steve wrote:Thank you
tac-safe it is
You won't be disappointed. :thumbs2:

They have a great gun shop there too with good prices.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Return to “Shooting Ranges”