Ranges in Lubbock?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CedarElm7
Posts in topic: 5

Ranges in Lubbock?

Post by CedarElm7 »

Does anyone know of any firing ranges in Lubbock?

I've heard of the Patriot Range, which I understand is an outstanding indoor range, but I believe it is limited to pistols.

Are there any other ranges? Specifically, are there any outdoor/rifle/shotgun ranges?

Thanks for the help!
*Texas CHL* *NRA* *TSRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

LarGriff
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ranges in Lubbock?

Post by LarGriff »

CedarElm7 wrote:Does anyone know of any firing ranges in Lubbock?

I've heard of the Patriot Range, which I understand is an outstanding indoor range, but I believe it is limited to pistols.

Are there any other ranges? Specifically, are there any outdoor/rifle/shotgun ranges?

Thanks for the help!
I've been to Patriot and it is fine, as far as indoor ranges go, though at $15 a day some may think that's a little pricey. I really prefer an outdoor range though. We had Rustic Range in the canyon for years, but its closed now. I keep thinking there ought to be a local shooters group that has a range, but haven't found one yet.

Driving back from New Mexico last week, I saw a billboard in Clovis for PatriotOutdoors.com . I looked it up a and saw that they have pistol, rifle, paintball ranges as well as rock climbing. Might be worth looking into if you're out that way.

Topic author
CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

Thanks, LarGriff!

Wow, as a city of a quarter of a million residents in West Texas, you'd think demand for a comprehensive outdoor range in Lubbock would be substantial. :fire

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Post by troglodyte »

CedarElm7 wrote:Thanks, LarGriff!

Wow, as a city of a quarter of a million residents in West Texas, you'd think demand for a comprehensive outdoor range in Lubbock would be substantial. :fire
There is a lot of interest, problem is Rustic Range filled the demand (and did it well :tiphat: ) until they suddenly closed about a year and a half ago. That kind of put everyone in a tailspin although the owner had been "trying to sell it" for years. He finally did and I think it caught everyone by suprise.

There has been some ramblings by a few people to open another range but I hear the cost and insurance (and EPA regs?) is astronomical. Sharp Shooters (a local gun store) keeps saying they are trying to open a range but I haven't heard much of anything else.

There is also the fact that a lot of folks have found friends with "ranges" out in the country. Couple that with the limited supply of ammo and the demand has been tempered, for now.

Some of us just moved to the country so we could set up our own ranges.

There are a couple of private clubs but I don't know anything about them. Llano gun club and South Plains gun club if I remember correctly.

Topic author
CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

Thanks, Troglodyte! I hope SharpShooters (or somebody) decides to put in a range!

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I happened to find myself driving by South Plains Gun Club and they had "visitors welcome" on their sign.

Topic author
CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

Update for Lubbock:

There is a new outdoor range just a few miles south of Lubbock. It is called 41 Lead Farm, located on FM 41 just three miles west of the Tahoka highway (U.S. 87/I-27) and three miles east of Slide Road. The range is only open on certain days, and is still under development and therefore bare-bones at this point, but it's got tremendous potential! Although it does not have a website yet, it does have a Facebook page with a map: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater .

Also, sources have confirmed that, in late 2013, Sharp Shooters in Lubbock closed on a piece of land for a new outdoor range. No details yet, but, again, this is very encouraging news for shooters on the South Plains.

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

We are lucky in Amarillo to have the city PD range open to public Thursday-Sunday.

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

There are several Ranges that are rifle, pistol and shotgun, that are membership type of ranges in the Amarillo, Borger, Fritch, Pampa Areas. The cost is not that much, depending on how much you shoot.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

TXWILDMAN73

Post by TXWILDMAN73 »

Excellent new Range just south of Lubbock
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lubbock- ... 2404860138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbs2: :woohoo

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:tiphat: Thanks for this update. I live in Deep East Texas & visit family in Lubbock almost every yr. This yr no place to shoot since I have always used the canyon.
Lead Farm & this will be on my list of places to visit next summer.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

bigity

Post by bigity »

It's open now? Sweet.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

bigity

Post by bigity »

Since the data isn't readily available on the new Lubbock range, they have covered pistol, shotgun (I think, I need to verify with the staff), and rifle ranges - rifle ranges available are 25, 50,75, 100, and 200 yards.

Currently the pricing is 16 bucks a day, and supposedly they are working on memberships, family plans, things like that.

I didn't make it out yet because of the recent rain (yea, shocking isn't it?) but hopefully will soon.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

SportingClaysluver

Post by SportingClaysluver »

For shotgun shooting you can go to Dos Amigos Sporting Clays. They offer a 12-station course and 5-stand. The course uses 24 traps (2 per station) to give you a total of 100 target presentations. 5-stand is five stations in a line and you get five target presentations per station for a total of 25 targets. Each station has a single, a report pair, and a true pair, and they are thrown from a total of eight [numbered] traps. Each station has a "menu" that tells you which trap your bird(s) will be thrown from. Both the course and 5-stand have a variety of traps and targets: some throw standard clays, some midis, and some rabbits; some machines are right-handed, some left-handed, some are rabbit throwers, and some are Chandelles. At least monthly, and usually more frequently, they reset the machines so that presentations don't become stale. They also have National Sporting Clays Association registered shoots (tournaments) almost every month. Registered shoots include the chance to win money.

They're about 4 miles east of Abernathy on FM 2060. Officially, the addy is 1882 FM 2060, but be forewarned that some GPS systems do not take you to the right location. The website is http://www.dosamigosshooting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dos-Amig ... 5418353650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SportingClaysluver on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
CedarElm7

Post by CedarElm7 »

The newest shooting range in Lubbock, "Lubbock Shooting Complex," has now been open for a couple of months.

It is excellent, in my opinion as a customer. Friendly, knowledgeable people. Superbly-designed, well-built facilities for handguns, rifles, .22's, and shotguns. Cost is $16.00 per day. They do not offer annual memberships yet, but they are working on it.

Associated with the Sharp Shooters store in Lubbock, it is called "Lubbock Shooting Complex," and is located south of Lubbock just inside the Lynn County line. From Lubbock, take US 87 south for 11 miles (there is a sign on the highway), exit on County Road 1, follow it east for 2.3 miles, and turn in to the range on the left (there is a sign there also--you can't miss it).

Here is the website: http://www.lubbockshootingcomplex.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Shooting Ranges”