Thunder Gun Range A No Go

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cbp210
Posts in topic: 1

Thunder Gun Range A No Go

Post by cbp210 »

I wanted to try my new rifle and went to Thunder Gun Range in Porter. I went there and the range looks very outdated and the staff is practically none and the owner was just plain weird. I had to wait 20 minutes for ceasefire so I could hang my target along with five other people. to make a long story short this is another business to avoid. I will stick with Hot wells range in 290 as the range and staff are 100% better. Who else there had a bad experience in thunder Gun Range?

GlockDude26

Re: Thunder Gun Range A No Go

Post by GlockDude26 »

i qualified there but we were with our instructor so we were kinda off to the side away from the madness. he did mention though that he has problems with the owner there sometimes since he only rents the lanes instead of the classroom and range.
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

MikeStone

Post by MikeStone »

Yeah, the range is pretty crappy, but the IDPA club shoots there and they're pretty good. I'll go back to shoot with the IDPA club, but I wouldn't use it as my 'normal range'.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

- Thomas Jefferson

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Divided Attention »

While most of my experience with Thunder is through their Shooter's Club, I can't recommend that group enough. I don't know anywhere else around where you can get dynamic training at an affordable rate. The instructors with the shooters club are awesome, they are extremely safety conscious and keep up their training as well.

I don't do much shooting on the "traditional" range side, and the owner is "unique" but overall not a bad guy. Have done some sighting in with rifles, and it is really not any different there than other local outdoor ranges I have been to. They are not always very organized on the check in side, but they are making updates often, and have recently made tremendous upgrades to their Shooters Club bays.

Don't be so quick to judge a book by it's cover. There is a lot more there than just the traditional range. We participate in Defensive pistol and shotgun as well as Carbine and 3 gun events there.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Define "unique?"

Divided Attention

It is his range, he likes to be in charge. Once he gets to know you he relaxes quite a bit.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Er...sounds like a place to definitely pass. "In charge" sounds like "power trip."

Divided Attention

You are missing out on some awesome training opportunities. The Shooter's' Club doesn't have to deal with the main range too much. I have never had an issue with the owner, nor has my husband. I have always had a good experience out there.

SSGMWP

Post by SSGMWP »

Short drive down 1960 towards Spring and go to Carter Country. Good place to shoot and they actually had .22lr in stock in 300 and 500 bricks. I always stop there when I am in the area. Thunder Gun range is too age restrictive. I could not bring my 13 or 17 year old grandsons there.

Divided Attention

My kids have shot at Thunder, and they even have a youth program in their Shooter's Club. I have not heard of or run into age restrictions at Thunder - interesting. :confused5

rockinar

Post by rockinar »

SSGMWP wrote:Short drive down 1960 towards Spring and go to Carter Country. Good place to shoot and they actually had .22lr in stock in 300 and 500 bricks..

All the Humble gang members/thugs/general losers shoot there. Safety there is downright scary. It was OK till about 10 years ago. The clay range is good and long rifle range at the far end are not too bad. Down at the other end where the pistol and 50 yard range is, you're asking to get shot in the back.

cajunautoxer

Post by cajunautoxer »

Pretty much the range owner SUCKS. I shoot 3 gun there with Shooters Club. I hope Shooters Club finds a new place bc I've heard about the shaninigans the owner has pulled on different shooting organizations that have used the place

PBR

Post by PBR »

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might check out Van Road Gun Range -- isnt that far from Humble area right down the belt really -- great place, really cool owners and people there -- they are expanding even more now
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Return to “Shooting Ranges”