Cypress Area: Was I hearing Hot Wells?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Cypress Area: Was I hearing Hot Wells?

Post by J.R.@A&M »

This afternoon the family and I were looking at prospective new (to us) houses in Cypress. While in a subdivision off Fry Road called Cypress Ranch Estates, I heard what I first thought was traffic hitting a section of highway... thump, thump,thump. Then the wife said, no, the seller had told her that was the sound of a nearby shooting range. It wasn't that loud, and sounded like it was coming from the east or southeast. The wind was blowing from the south. The noise was tolerable, and wouldn't affect our decision about this property. But it peaked my curiosity.

Is Hot Wells an outside range? And while I'm at it, is it a generally safe facility with ample backstops, burms, etc.? Thanks.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cypress Area: Was I hearing Hot Wells?

Post by puma guy »

J.R.@A&M wrote:This afternoon the family and I were looking at prospective new (to us) houses in Cypress. While in a subdivision off Fry Road called Cypress Ranch Estates, I heard what I first thought was traffic hitting a section of highway... thump, thump,thump. Then the wife said, no, the seller had told her that was the sound of a nearby shooting range. It wasn't that loud, and sounded like it was coming from the east or southeast. The wind was blowing from the south. The noise was tolerable, and wouldn't affect our decision about this property. But it peaked my curiosity.

Is Hot Wells an outside range? And while I'm at it, is it a generally safe facility with ample backstops, burms, etc.? Thanks.
Hot Wells is an outdoor range. It's located at 24815 Hempstead It's been there for years and years and is safe as far as I know. It's located at 24815 Hempstead. You can Google it.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Skiprr »

A late reply, but I wanted to chime in since this is near my area of Houston.

Cypress Ranch Estates is about two to 2.5 miles north-northwest of Hot Wells. Seems somewhat unlikely to me that the gunfire could be heard at that distance over city-sounds and 290. But maybe.

The Hot Wells pistol and rifle ranges face almost due west, in the direction of the Blackhorse Golf Club, about a mile-and-a-half from the range. The range, owned by the Lamar family, has been in the same location since 1973.

If you do choose to buy there, the good news is that you'll be only be five minutes from a range. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Belated thanks for both of your replies.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”