200 yard FMJ ball in DFW weekday mornings?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

200 yard FMJ ball in DFW weekday mornings?

Post by drjoker »

Ok,

I've googled until my eyes turned blue and this is what I've come up with;
1. Elm Fork - It is only 50 yds. Their 100 yd range doesn't allow any commie guns per their website (no AK, SKS, & Mosins).
2. Gibson's Outpost - Are they any good? I've never been there.
3. Frisco Gun Club - It is only 100 yds.
4. Jacob's Plain Gun Club - Are they any good? I've never been there. 1100 yds. However, they are very far away as Google Maps says they are 70 minutes drive from Dallas.
5. Magnum Sports in Sanger - not open weekday mornings.

Any others that I've missed? I need to zero the sights on an AK and do some practice shooting.

Thanks,
:tiphat:

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 200 yard FMJ ball in DFW weekday mornings?

Post by jimlongley »

drjoker wrote:Ok,

I've googled until my eyes turned blue and this is what I've come up with;
1. Elm Fork - It is only 50 yds. Their 100 yd range doesn't allow any commie guns per their website (no AK, SKS, & Mosins).
2. Gibson's Outpost - Are they any good? I've never been there.
3. Frisco Gun Club - It is only 100 yds.
4. Jacob's Plain Gun Club - Are they any good? I've never been there. 1100 yds. However, they are very far away as Google Maps says they are 70 minutes drive from Dallas.
5. Magnum Sports in Sanger - not open weekday mornings.

Any others that I've missed? I need to zero the sights on an AK and do some practice shooting.

Thanks,
:tiphat:
Zero your AK at 100 yards, or zero it at 27 yards, it will still be as accurate. Jacob's Plain, where I am a member, is good, but not public.

If you zero at 27 yards, the first time the round crosses the line of sight, going up as it were, even if not strictly true, will be at 27 yards and the next time will be out around 200 yards (depending on the ballistics of the round.)
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Parker County Sportmans club. The "C" range has target stands at 200 and 250 yards, and the berm is at 275. But it is a private club, and last I heard, it was closed to new members until they can design a rule set that will force new members to follow the rules about handgun safety. They keep shooting into the building structure over their heads on the pistol range, and over the berm on the rifle ranges. There are cows on the other sides of the berms.......so that dog won't hunt.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

Check out Top gun range. It is like 45 mins from Plano, TX. Up to 500 yrds. Th to Sunday only

http://www.topguntexas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Beiruty wrote:Check out Top gun range. It is like 45 mins from Plano, TX. Up to 500 yrds. Th to Sunday only

http://www.topguntexas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The title of this thread is "200 yard FMJ ball in DFW weekday mornings?"
Top Gun Range Rules wrote: http://www.topguntexas.com/range-rules.html

30-378 / 338 / 7mm mag & all calibers 300 win mag and above in foot pounds of energy cannot be used on steel targets that are under 400 yards.

Full Metal Jacket rifle ammo of any kind is not allowed on the range.

Tannerite (exploding target material) is not allowed on the range.

1. All Federal, state, and local firearm laws must be obeyed. Any accidental discharge of firearms with the projectile not striking the backstop will be required to leave the range and all fees forfeited. NO RAPID FIRE, RIFLE or PISTOL, double taps on pistol are OK. If you are shooting an AR type rifle a brass-catcher is required to protect other shooters.

2. All firearms not on the firing line must be holstered, or unloaded with their action open and the magazine removed, or unloaded and encased.

3. All shooters must complete and sign the RANGE RELEASE, WAIVER, HOLD HARMLESS, IN­DEMNIFICATION AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT before using the Top Gun Range.

4. Owners of NFA firearms (from Class III dealers) must be in possession of any special permits or paperwork required by law.

5. Food, beverages, are prohibited on the firing line; and smoking is prohibited on the range.

6. All calibers above 338 in foot pounds of energy are not allowed at the range. 45-70 etc. and all large muzzle loader calibers are more than OK.

7. Shotgun slugs, buckshot or birdshot may NOT be fired at the target backstops. All shotguns must be fired at a paper target on the IDPA wood frames or in one of our open fields.

8. FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) tracer, armor piercing, and steel core ammunition are not allowed on the range.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

I shot many times there PSP rds and some HPBT match. I guess many others shooters are there for LR training and they load HPBT or A-max or some VLDs.
By FMJ do they mean mild-steel core military surplus Ammo? Some Russian Ammo are bi-metal jacket and may attract magnets.
I do not think they would mind shooting Wolf ammo there. Best call and ask.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Beiruty wrote:I shot many times there PSP rds and some HPBT match. I guess many others shooters are there for LR training and they load HPBT or A-max or some VLDs.
By FMJ do they mean mild-steel core military surplus Ammo? Some Russian Ammo are bi-metal jacket and may attract magnets.
I do not think they would mind shooting Wolf ammo there. Best call and ask.
HPBT would not be considered FMJ. However, all military ammo that is not HPBT would be, magnet or not. For the AR15 platform for instance, that would include XM193 55 grain, M855 62 grain "green tip" penetrators, SS109 (same thing as M855), or any of the cheap 55, 60, 62 grain "practice" ammo from American Eagle, Wolf, or any of the other manufacturers. Pretty much any mil-surp ammo that is not a BTHP would be disqualified. If it is jacketed and it is not a hollowpoint, not a ballistic tip, or not a soft point, then it has to be an FMJ and would be banned from that range, regardless of caliber.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Shooting Ranges”