TX Gun Range (between Mansfied and Midlothian)

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott
Posts in topic: 2

TX Gun Range (between Mansfied and Midlothian)

Post by Scott »

http://www.txgunrange.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a heads up for those close by. Located on the North side of Hwy 287 in between Mansfield and Midlothian. It's not open yet but their making progress.

equin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX Gun Range (between Mansfied and Midlothian)

Post by equin »

Thanks for the heads-up. I see their website says FMJ is allowed! Daily fee is only $15! Can't wait for them to open.
Ed

Topic author
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yeah, $15 is not bad, but it does mention a $10 yearly membership. Free for active military and active LE.

Not allowing FMJ would have been a deal breaker for me. Good thing they do, and maybe they'll be get more business because of it.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Well folks, I had today off from work and decided to give them a call. They are indeed open, although with limited facilities at this time. There are multiple distances available on the pistol range. The 50 yard range is nice and there is a 100 yard area as well. The exact distances on the 100 yard range are on the stations, as the berm still needs a little work in some areas. The RSO's were all pleasant and it appears that the owner has worked to instill in them that while they are there for the safety of all, polite and professional demeanor is the key to cooperation. So far, so good. Granted I was there on a Friday during the day and it was a little slow, but time will tell. $10.00 annual membership with a $15.00 range fee. You can shoot all day in all the bays for that one price. The facilities are rustic in comparison to other ranges. The ground is quite muddy. There was wood on the range to walk on to put up pistol targets, and the RSO's worked in tandem to place the rifle targets. Optics are optional on all ranges and FMJ was allowed on all ranges.

I'll be going there again and see how things continue to develop. Their website says they only allow their targets and it was explained to me that they don't want any controversial targets used. I can see their logic in that. They were perfectly OK with my request to place "shoot-n-c" type targets on theirs. No problems.

Make no mistake, there is still a lot of work on the facility but I had a pleasant experience there. YMMV. IANAL. And all that good stuff........

Lonewolf

RKlenka
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RKlenka »

Im mostly surprised that the domain TxGunRange.com was available.

Though no drawing, no movement, no personal targets, no loose or baggy clothes (uh huh), one shot per second, but they are pretty cheep. Maybe next time I'm in the area ill have to swing by and drop them my CHL instructor card lol.
Texas CHL Instructor - NRA Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Black powder rifle, Black powder pistol
Russian Martial Art Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I will be up in Mansfield a couple of times in Feb and I hope to give them a try. I've been to Alpine and Target Time, Bullseye in Duncanville and Elmfork for some forum meets. Arlington Gun Club (sic) is near where I visit as well, but I've never been to it.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Rest assured, there is nothing fancy about this place, but I have found it refreshing and comfortable. If you want to shoot sitting, I would recommend bringing your own sandbags/rifle rests and such. Unless, of course you have a bipod on your rifle already. The 50 yard shooting area is angled slightly, which helps with flying brass across your line of sight (at least such was my experience.)

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I visited TX Gun Range this afternoon to take a gander at the facilities. We came up to Mansfield for grand childrens' school Grand Parent's day and being under the weather a bit I didn't bring any guns. My son-in-law and I were met by an employee at the top of the grade where the building is located. He explained the layout of the range, rules and future plans. From the vantage point we had there was a panoramic view of the ranges. Looking from north to south - Pistol range - 3,5,7 and 15 yard was not open yet but they had a temporary set up for 3 and 5 yards in the small arms range next to it. There was a 25 and 50 yard range for pistol or small arms there as well. Then on the north end the 100 yard range which had quite a few shooting stations (wish I'd counted them).The benches appeared to be very solid composite material and were affixed permanently to the concrete. He mentioned the 100 yard target stands were not a full 100 yards at present, due to limitations for work in the wet weather. They are marked for actual range on each bench; 93 to 97 actual yards. All the ranges had a concrete walkway to the target stands however the grounds were very wet off the walkways and the RO's were setting the targets for the shooters. He said they are planning a shotgun range, but he had no real details for what set up it would be, i.e. Skeet Trap 5 stand, etc. The owner came up and informed us he's planning two bays for draw and fire practice on the north end of the existing pistol range. All the shooting areas were covered. FMJ ammo is allowed. :thumbs2: Very modest 1st time membership fee required with $15 fee for access to any and all ranges, all day. Looking forward to a return with my AR's.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”