American Shooting Center Houston

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

American Shooting Center Houston

Post by howdy »

I decided to go shoot my Ruger 10-22 at the American Shooting Center in west Houston. They have a "prairie dog" town reactionary target area for use by 22LR rifles only. I thought the targets would fall when hit but they only wiggle. This range goes out to 200 yards. I had a hard time seeing the up close targets wiggle and could not begin to see the distant ones wiggle. To the right off this range is a 200/300 yd rifle range. There are no range officers down in this area and each shooter must coordinate with other shooters when you want to go down range to check targets. I had just talked to the other two gentlemen on the rifle range and let them know I was shooting the super quite 22LR rifle and was actively shooting the wiggle targets when one of the shooters walked over and told me to stop shooting. It seems the other guy just started walking down range without telling either of us. I had just told this guy to let me know if he was going to go down range. This is the course rule and you have to trust that the other shooters on the rifle range will honor the no shoot/no handling firearms rules. I was not about to go down range for any reason. You could walk down range with all shooters going at the same time and have a new shooter come on range and maybe start firing away. ASC really needs to keep a range officer down on that rifle range.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Charlies.Contingency

Re: American Shooting Center Houston

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

howdy wrote:I decided to go shoot my Ruger 10-22 at the American Shooting Center in west Houston. They have a "prairie dog" town reactionary target area for use by 22LR rifles only. I thought the targets would fall when hit but they only wiggle. This range goes out to 200 yards. I had a hard time seeing the up close targets wiggle and could not begin to see the distant ones wiggle. To the right off this range is a 200/300 yd rifle range. There are no range officers down in this area and each shooter must coordinate with other shooters when you want to go down range to check targets. I had just talked to the other two gentlemen on the rifle range and let them know I was shooting the super quite 22LR rifle and was actively shooting the wiggle targets when one of the shooters walked over and told me to stop shooting. It seems the other guy just started walking down range without telling either of us. I had just told this guy to let me know if he was going to go down range. This is the course rule and you have to trust that the other shooters on the rifle range will honor the no shoot/no handling firearms rules. I was not about to go down range for any reason. You could walk down range with all shooters going at the same time and have a new shooter come on range and maybe start firing away. ASC really needs to keep a range officer down on that rifle range.
Wow, that is completely unacceptable. I am a huge advocate for safety, and I believe there should be an officer there to call a cease fire, and to make sure everybody follows cease fire. (In my area, we do muzzle safe(Down/up/etc) and chamber open. Some people don't understand how important this can be...
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

libertatis

Re: American Shooting Center Houston

Post by libertatis »

Hi Howdy

I shoot at the 300 all the time, and sometimes take my daughter to the 22 range next to it.
There's a huge earthen berm between the 22 rimfire and the 200 yard range--there's no way fire from the rimfire range can cross over to the 200/300/400 areas.

I really like the mutual-consent ceasefires on the longer ranges. We get a lot more shooting in, and it works out real well overall. You just have to walk around a bit making real sure everyone knows it's cease-fire.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”