Marksman Indoor Range

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ron_houston
Posts in topic: 2

Marksman Indoor Range

Post by ron_houston »

Sometimes it is not about big and fancy, but about small and comfortable.
I have used Marksman Indoor Range for about 25 years prior to moving from the Houston area.
It is located on Nebraska (I think) in South Houston, maybe 200 feet off of Hwy. 3
Not real big in size with about 10 slots and a 50 foot range. Each slot has electric target holders. It has a nice glass wall between the shop and the range. In the store area there is a large area with tables and chairs and gun magazines just to hang out and a small but very nice selection of new and used guns.
The key here is the friendliness of everybody that works or comes there.
Unless it has changed, it is open 364 days a year and is closed on Mother's Day.
I have never walked in and had to wait to shoot.

mdubtx

Re: Marksman Indoor Range

Post by mdubtx »

:iagree:

I was just there yesterday! In from the DFW area, visiting a friend. $10.00, all day / come & go, and includes a target. Well staffed and incredibly courteous. They even had the 525 count boxes of Federal Champion 22lr on the shelf AND FOR A FAIR PRICE! I left some for the next guy! ;)
Great people to be around at the line yesterday as well.

BTW- They have a good price on a used Mark II, it looked just rough enough to keep me from asking to see it. I've only had to deal with slight remorse over it.

I would be happy to have Marksman for a local range. :fire

[**I actually scored pretty well in the Houston area on high velocity 22lr. Maybe the shelves in Fort Worth will be receiving stock soon...]
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

RetNavy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RetNavy »

shot there a couple of times when wife had one of her training sessions by Hobby..... nice comfortable place... staff was courteous and friendly....comfortable waiting area if lanes were full... located on a side street off a main drag but wasn't to hard to find... if in southern houston definitely go there again
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

puma guy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by puma guy »

mdubtx wrote::iagree:

I was just there yesterday! In from the DFW area, visiting a friend. $10.00, all day / come & go, and includes a target. Well staffed and incredibly courteous. They even had the 525 count boxes of Federal Champion 22lr on the shelf AND FOR A FAIR PRICE! I left some for the next guy! ;)
Great people to be around at the line yesterday as well.

BTW- They have a good price on a used Mark II, it looked just rough enough to keep me from asking to see it. I've only had to deal with slight remorse over it.

I would be happy to have Marksman for a local range. :fire

[**I actually scored pretty well in the Houston area on high velocity 22lr. Maybe the shelves in Fort Worth will be receiving stock soon...]
I've been shooting at Marksman since the mid-1960's. I'm curious how did you come across Marksman? The original owner's hospitality and fairness has been carried on by the new owners. I just got back from DFW area (Mansfield) and took my shotgun, but didn't get to shoot. We are up there at least a dozen times a year and sometimes meet up with several forum members for a skeet shoot at Elm Fork. I always scout the area gun shops and ranges as well as Wally Worlds and Academys. The Academy in Burleson had a good supply of 22 ammo, at they did last Thursday.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
ron_houston

Post by ron_houston »

I moved to Houston in 1976 and wanted a place to shoot and lived near Hobby Airport, so I asked some LEO's who recommended Marksman. It's a popular range for all the local LEO's in that area.
Ironically, the last time I shoot there was 3 weeks before leaving the US and one day before I sold my gun collection.
One of my fondest memories was in the early 80's and I had bought a Colt Combat Commander and was there for the millionth time trying to get it to shoot a decent group. I am not a big guy at 5'8" and 155 pounds.After another failed night of shooting only diner plate size groups (21') I walked out of the range and the owner saw my (repeated) disgust. There was a black South Houston officer standing there who was about the size of a small 18 wheeler. The owner said "hey Ron, let this officer give his opinion on your Colt" I handed it to him and he went into the range, loaded the clip and shot a group the size of a 50 cent piece.He came back in and said " it's a beauty. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but you just don't have enough ass to hold it down" (I sold it)

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

puma guy wrote:
I'm curious how did you come across Marksman?
I was visiting a friend and that's the range he prefers to go to. I think there were 1-2 that were closer but that's where he wanted to take me.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

FL450

Post by FL450 »

I have bought 2 guns from them.
Depending on where I am and time Marksman, Best Shot and PSC are my 3 go to ranges.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

mdubtx wrote:
puma guy wrote:
I'm curious how did you come across Marksman?
I was visiting a friend and that's the range he prefers to go to. I think there were 1-2 that were closer but that's where he wanted to take me.
Well, he steered you right!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

FL450 wrote:I have bought 2 guns from them.
Depending on where I am and time Marksman, Best Shot and PSC are my 3 go to ranges.
I'm two for three on your list. PSC is my go to range, but after hours or when I don't feel like making the drive to PSC it's Marksman. My cousin had a brake shop almost across the street from Best Shot and shot there, but I never made it. I'll have to try it out.

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

I'm in the wrong end of town but it sure sounds like my kind of place. Will have to make the trip one day. Thanks.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The original builder and owner of Marksman Range is a fellow by the name of Tom Mixon. He is a South Houston, Texas icon and is known as the unofficial mayor. I met Tom when I was a teenager and got to know him quite well in the 60's and shot there often. (had some interesting after hours shooting as well) . He had twin sons and Tom sort of took a liking to my brother and myself because we were twins. He was a great shot and was a skilled fancy gun handler ie cowboy tricks, with a specially made Ruger Blackhawk. Read the attached article and you can see the kind of man who set the Marksman Range precedent. The unfortunate circumstances that led to the story a sad commentary on today's society of wanton, senseless crime and criminals.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasadena ... 3a0df.html

http://abc13.com/archive/9041632/
Tom Mixon in Court.jpg

ARblitz4077

Post by ARblitz4077 »

Did they ever update the air filtration system? I've left a few times after shooting there coughing up black stuff. Great people though.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ARblitz4077 wrote:Did they ever update the air filtration system? I've left a few times after shooting there coughing up black stuff. Great people though.
That's my only complaint. I have noticed when there are many shooters it does get a little smoky, but not intolerable, at least not for me. Even with chronic respiratory issues I do OK. I was there on Ladies night and there were multiple shooters on several of the lanes and every lane was occupied.

bcooper

Post by bcooper »

Took my CHL Course there. Awesome range! Very small and cozy with a friendly staff. If I lived closer, it would be my home range.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Anyone at Marksman willing and able to teach tyro's basic safety and Markmanship?

I have a granddaughter who will be 21 shortly. I want to get her trained and a LTC. She wants to also. :coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”