On Target Range on fire.

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

asbandr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: On Target Range on fire.

Post by asbandr »

If it's an indoor range it's possible that someone was shooting steel cased ammo. The steel core can spark when it hits the ground and there's usually gun powder residue I the ground and it can ignite and spread extremely fast. That's why most indoor ranges don't allow steel cased ammo. They aren't trying to be snobs, it's just a fire hazard. Not saying that's the case here, just a possibility.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

asbandr wrote:If it's an indoor range it's possible that someone was shooting steel cased ammo. The steel core can spark when it hits the ground and there's usually gun powder residue I the ground and it can ignite and spread extremely fast. That's why most indoor ranges don't allow steel cased ammo. They aren't trying to be snobs, it's just a fire hazard. Not saying that's the case here, just a possibility.
Steel cased ammo? Surely you mean steel jacketed bullets... because the tiny spark that is theoretically possible when a steel case hits the floor is minuscule to the sparks flying out of the muzzle of every firearm discharged.

Their backstop was a series of louvers that I assume either led to a bed of chopped rubber, or some sort of a snail trap. Steel jacketed or steel core bullets tend to chew up that stuff more quickly. I have seen sparks off of the backstops before... and sometimes when I shoot my own AR500 steel targets at the ranch at night practicing low light stuff even with WWB or blazer brass. It happens.

Could have ben something else entirely: exhaust fan motor blew, NASA microwaves, swamp gas, kids with wrenches...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If it was actually related to shooting, it is more likely it was someone with phosphorus or magnesium (tracer) rounds. That is what started the fire at the DFW gun range a few years ago.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

I believe the report was electrical fire.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

It was ruled electrical malfunction:

Investigators have ruled out foul play, and that includes any accidental explosion involving ammunition inside the structure. They believe an electrical malfunction sparked the flames in the gun range on Highway 377 southwest of Benbrook.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/reports-fire-t ... e/27684585
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “Shooting Ranges”