Shotgun friendly ranges near West Houston?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Shotgun friendly ranges near West Houston?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Does anyone know of a good, shotgun friendly range near West Houston? I'm looking for a good place to test fire my home defense 12 gauge with pistol grip.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shotgun friendly ranges near West Houston?

Post by Scott in Houston »

American Shooting Center in Bush Park will allow it.

And for the love of Pete... Please tell me that you're not using one with "only" a pistol grip (no shoulder stock). :shock:

Those are horrible defense weapons… /RANT / TANGENT

Lena

Post by Lena »

Scott in Houston wrote:American Shooting Center in Bush Park will allow it.

And for the love of Pete... Please tell me that you're not using one with "only" a pistol grip (no shoulder stock). :shock:

Totally agree there 100%
We tried that a few years back and that is a bad idea.
Stay Safe

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Lena wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:American Shooting Center in Bush Park will allow it.

Totally agree there 100%
We tried that a few years back and that is a bad idea.
OK, I'll bite.

What makes these "horrible" defense weapons for close range shots that one would encounter inside a typical home?

Lena

Post by Lena »

Have you shot one very much?
Stay Safe

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

You're probably thinking, "shotgun, I don't really need to aim." Get it out to the range and shoot targets at different distances with what you think you'll use as your home defense load. You can decide for yourself it it works or not.

I took a Tactical Shotgun I class just recently. Was setup with a fairly well known recoil reducing pistol grip/stock on my Mossberg 500 and thought I was good to go.

Despite a solid cheek weld, it felt like I was getting punched in the face each time I shot. I shoot skeet about every other week and I was shocked. Plus it was really awkward manipulating a safety on the tang with a pistol grip (not an issue if it's a cross bolt safety).

Result? I couldn't reconfigure my shotgun fast enough.

Top is before the class, bottom is a week after the class. I think I'm ready for Tactical Shotgun II now.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr1337 »

Scott B. wrote:You're probably thinking, "shotgun, I don't really need to aim." Get it out to the range and shoot targets at different distances with what you think you'll use as your home defense load. You can decide for yourself it it works or not.

I took a Tactical Shotgun I class just recently. Was setup with a fairly well known recoil reducing pistol grip/stock on my Mossberg 500 and thought I was good to go.

Despite a solid cheek weld, it felt like I was getting punched in the face each time I shot. I shoot skeet about every other week and I was shocked. Plus it was really awkward manipulating a safety on the tang with a pistol grip (not an issue if it's a cross bolt safety).

Result? I couldn't reconfigure my shotgun fast enough.

Top is before the class, bottom is a week after the class. I think I'm ready for Tactical Shotgun II now.
That magpul furniture looks good on it.

Man, I need a shotgun. *twitch*

No, no. A shotgun will have to wait until I build my dream gun. (300 blk pistol w/ suppressor)
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I know that feeling. I'm fighting the "must have a 9mm SBR carbine" itch right now.

I was very pleased with the stock, and how it looks. Really liked how you adjust the LOP with inserts. Solid system. I bought the forward sling mount and set it up for the QD slings I have. Magpul doesn't tell you have to buy a QD socket separately for the stock. It's an easy install though.

The foregrip is interesting. I'm thinking about adding some texture to it for additional traction.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Thanks for the education, everyone. My primary HD weapon is a handgun, but I had always thought of the pistol gripped 12 gauge in my safe as a back-up. After reading everyone's responses, it sounds like I may be better off just keeping a few extra loaded mags next to my 1911.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Thanks for the education, everyone. My primary HD weapon is a handgun, but I had always thought of the pistol gripped 12 gauge in my safe as a back-up. After reading everyone's responses, it sounds like I may be better off just keeping a few extra loaded mags next to my 1911.

I like a shotgun for self defense. I have just never been a fan of trying to shoot it with a pistol grip only. I keep one by my bed with a full stock and an 18.5 inch barrel. I have practiced (with dummy loads) tactical reloads in the dark, clearing the house using my mounted light with a momentary switch. And have patterned it from 2 two to 15 yards and know what my POA should be at those distances. I am considering adding a red dot sight, but haven't done so yet. The only drawback to a shotgun, IMHO is the shortage of rounds, mine will hold six plus I have five more in a side saddle, which for most creepy crawlies at night may be sufficient. but I also have my M&P 9 with 18 plus two more 17 round mags available. But the pistol grip on my shotgun just doesn't give me enough confidence to put rounds where I want them consistently. (plus I'm a big sissy and don't like having my wrist take that much punishment) :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Thanks for the education, everyone. My primary HD weapon is a handgun, but I had always thought of the pistol gripped 12 gauge in my safe as a back-up. After reading everyone's responses, it sounds like I may be better off just keeping a few extra loaded mags next to my 1911.
Don't misconstrue the responses as saying no to a shotgun. The criticism is of that type of shotgun.

For me, the criteria I value the most (assuming it's easy to wield which the pistol grips are not) is capacity. That's a shortfall of both a shotgun and a 1911.

My first choice, if it's available is an AR for the 30 rounds it provides and it penetrates walls less than a 9mm, 45 ACP, etc.

But... Priority one is hitting your target, and that's why so many are put off by pistol grip shotguns... Especially the types with no stock.
They're very difficult and because they're so uncomfortable to shoot, most never practice with the, either.

Steve

Post by Steve »

Scott B. wrote:I know that feeling. I'm fighting the "must have a 9mm SBR carbine" itch right now.

I was very pleased with the stock, and how it looks. Really liked how you adjust the LOP with inserts. Solid system. I bought the forward sling mount and set it up for the QD slings I have. Magpul doesn't tell you have to buy a QD socket separately for the stock. It's an easy install though.

The foregrip is interesting. I'm thinking about adding some texture to it for additional traction.
That's a nice setup. I've been debating doing the same thing to my Mossberg 590. I mostly want it for the reduced LOP. How is the forend? I'm curious how grippy it is compared to the stock forend.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”