Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Xelazaughra
Posts in topic: 1

Hearing aids and indoor gun ranges

Post by Xelazaughra »

Hello yall!

Recently, my girlfriend and I have been talking about guns and I asked her if she would be interested in going to the gun range and she's very interested in it. The only concern I have is that she wears hearing aids and I don't know if the loud blasts from the guns will do further harm to her. The hearing protection I have for both of us is the "ear muff" kind that fit around the entire ear, so she would still be able to wear her hearing aids (I'd imagine she'd need help at first during certain points while handling a gun on the range which would require verbal communication) in addition to protection. I am not familiar with hearing aids at all so I don't know the do and don'ts or pros and cons or whatever you would call it. I appreciate any advice.

PBratton

Re: Hearing aids and indoor gun ranges

Post by PBratton »

I've asked this question to my hearing folks, they suggested strongly to remove any hearing aids and wear hearing protection.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I wear hearing aids. I have worn them with earmuffs, both the static and electronic kind, and the muffs work fine. But, if I remember, I take them out while at the range. Just not necessary to have them in.

Now, if your girlfriend cannot hear instructions with them out, I would think it best to leave them in for that. The electronic noise/shot cancelling muffs really do work well.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

There are many times on an indoor range I use ear plugs and electronic muffs.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

For me it depends on the type of aids. When I wore the type that fit around the outside of the ear with only a tube/cable sticking inside the canal, I would remove them because the microphones were actually on the outer part of the aid that my ear muffs did not cover.
Now that I have moved to the type that totally insert into my ear, I leave them in. Just make sure you have som good ear muffs for her and a good fit.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

carlson1 wrote:There are many times on an indoor range I use ear plugs and electronic muffs.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

carlson1 wrote:There are many times on an indoor range I use ear plugs and electronic muffs.
Same here. I lost enough of my hearing while I was at Ft.Sill to do everything I can to protect what hearing I do still have.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

warnmar10 wrote:

I always wear both with the highest noise reduction rating for each that I can find. Gotta protect what's left - which is not nearly what I started with.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

I also wear hearing aids. I took them out when I went to the range the first time.
Found out I couldn't hear the Range Safety Officer's instructions very well. I'm not completely deaf, but enough that it makes a difference in regular conversation.
I need just enough sound to reach me so I know what's going on, but not enough to damage my hearing any further (just like everyone else!)

So I wear my hearing aids during range practice. I have the electronic muffs that completely enclose my ears and my hearing aids.
It works pretty well. Although my audiologist notes during my checkups, from time to time, she sees a couple of higher volume events in the memory records of the hearing aids. I just smile and say traffic was pretty bad that day or lots of construction where I was. She says OK and moves on.

Overall, it would depend on just "how bad" is your hearing. Safety is paramount and hearing is the best first sense you have for an alert.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

JRG

Post by JRG »

I was born with a major hearing loss and it gets a little worse each year. I wear behind the ear aids, but leave them in when shooting because I would not be able to hear anything if i did not. I use the ear muffs and they cover both the aid and my ears and provide mucho protection.

Joe

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

What if you bought her something like this for use at the range? I bought a pair for hunting and they work well, they amplify regular sound and also protect from the loud noises.
https://www.natchezss.com/champion-digi ... n-amp.html

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I run a MSA Sordin electronic headset over foam plugs in an indoor range. I hear all range commands, can carry a conversation, etc without a problem. They are powerful enough where in a normal room they amplify my ability to hear beyond normal.

http://srstactical.com/msa-sordin-supre ... kband.html

Added bonus on the behind the head design - I can wear any hat I want and it goes over the thin strap on top of my head without issue. I often shoot with a boonie hat so that is huge for me.

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

Since she wears hearing aids as I do she is already suffering from hearing loss - obviously! She needs to protect what see has left! Indoor ranges are much louder than an equivalent outdoor range. I try to avoid indoor ranges, and when I take my wife I remove my aids and wear double protection. Try to cover all the points of gun safety outside the shooting bays and therefor minimize the communication needed during the firing, and limit that to mandatory communication. I can tell a difference between when I go in and when I come out, and that is with double protection. Also request a bay away from the concrete walls that will make a difference.

Protect your hearing you will miss it when it is gone. I suffer from High Frequency loss.

I have come to the realization IF I have to fire my weapon in a SD situation I may very well be deaf afterwards.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

I wear 'in the ear' digital aids.

The aids have 5 programs for different environments, plus a remote that allows me to change programs and volume. Though I sometimes wear ear plugs, I generally wear muffs over the aids & either switch to a lower amp channel or turn the aids off when shooting. The aids will limit volume, but as common with 'in the ear aids', have 1/16" vent holes that allow ambient sound to by pass.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Return to “Shooting Ranges”