TX: League City gun range blamed for bullet holes in new homes

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX: League City gun range blamed for bullet holes in new homes

Post by jason812 »

Chandler's in Valley Mills had the same issue a few years ago. Granted they are in the middle of nowhere but the neighbor claimed bullets were hitting his barn. I don't know how much money was spent making the berms taller and dropping the cover down so you can't see the sky but I think the court costs were the worst part. There seems to be a lot of correlation between these two ranges as far as the neighbors are concerned. Wouldn't surprise me to hear about more ranges with the same complaints. Some maybe legit but I doubt it.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

When I lived in California there was a shooting range owned by the county.
It was a nice place to shoot. Good range and cheap. It was in the Santa Cruz foothills and the hills acted as natural berms.
Over the years they started to build houses near the range. I don't recall any complaints about bullets
hitting houses, but the home owners starting complaining about the noise. Of course the range had
been there for probably 30 years before the houses, but eventually they shut down the range.
NRA Endowment Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

WildBill wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:17 pm When I lived in California there was a shooting range owned by the county.
It was a nice place to shoot. Good range and cheap. It was in the Santa Cruz foothills and the hills acted as natural berms.
Over the years they started to build houses near the range. I don't recall any complaints about bullets
hitting houses, but the home owners starting complaining about the noise. Of course the range had
been there for probably 30 years before the houses, but eventually they shut down the range.
Clear Creek has been there a very long time. I recall shooting there in the 60's I think. The owner is a very nice and responsible man. I have to question the developer building homes that near a gun range and sand pit. Of course the developer probably called it a scenic lake.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

There doesn't appear to be anyone commenting here from the range itself. Or they are reading and their legal advisers recommended against commenting publicly, so they are silent.

I rent a garage in the adjacent storage complex (you can see it on the KHOU video), so I'm out there probably an average of once per week, and have been so for more than four years now. If you look at the Google aerial, you can see a linear utility easement separating the range from our storage complex. What I've been told is that yahoos sometimes shoot down that pipeline easement because they use the sound of the legitimate gunfire as cover for their activities. I do recall one instance a couple of years ago where someone claiming to be associated with the range got onto social media and said words to the effect of, "FYI, right now I hear a fully-automatic weapon out there, and for the record, that is not legal and it is NOT coming from our property - they seem to be next to us in the easement."

I cannot personally confirm whether there's truth to any of that, but there it is.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Any home damage came from celebrating firing of guns outside the Range!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

I share the sentiment of the others who use this range. It would be extremely difficult to bypass their mitigations.

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Odinvalknir »

Scott65 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 pm I share the sentiment of the others who use this range. It would be extremely difficult to bypass their mitigations.
The range officer and the others who work here keep a fairly close eye on people who are there shooting. During each ceasefire they explicitly say if you're caught shooting any of the barriers on purpose, you'll be thrown out.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Deltaboy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 pm Any home damage came from celebrating firing of guns outside the Range!
That was my thought also, especially around New Year's celebration. In a neighborhood group some people were complaining about fireworks and thinking they could start proceedings to ban them. One comment said that would force some people to fire their guns. :mad5

Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Odinvalknir »

striker55 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:04 pm
Deltaboy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 pm Any home damage came from celebrating firing of guns outside the Range!
That was my thought also, especially around New Year's celebration. In a neighborhood group some people were complaining about fireworks and thinking they could start proceedings to ban them. One comment said that would force some people to fire their guns. :mad5

I don't doubt it. I can see a bunch of idiots shooting guns in the air, also a bunch of antis blaming the range. I wish the news idiots would show the range a little more in their reports. There really is little to no chance of bullets going ANYWHERE outside of that range.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”