NRA Life Memberships for $300

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Millerk420
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA Life Memberships for $300

Post by Millerk420 »

Has anyone confirmed the legitimacy of this website?

It is hosted on GODaddy.com I never got a notice from the NRA about this site. and there doesnt seem to any links on the main NRA site for this. I am sending an email to NRA webmaster and see if I can get a confirmation of this site. It might be a phishing website wanting to get your info.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Skiprr »

waycostation wrote:Mom of two teen boys in upstate Ny is looking for a sponsor to help sign me up under the NRA's "Family and Friends for new life memberships" @ the $300 price. Any lifetime members willing to help out?
I have the number to call but need of course "a sponsor" and:

Lifetime members #
Your zip code
And email addy? (no clue why they need that)

If you can help and/or have more info for me I would really appreciate it!
Please see above. There is no "sponsorship" option at this time. The only option is for a current life member to use his or her own credit card to purchase the special offer as a gift for family or friends.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Millerk420 wrote:Has anyone confirmed the legitimacy of this website?

It is hosted on GODaddy.com I never got a notice from the NRA about this site. and there doesnt seem to any links on the main NRA site for this. I am sending an email to NRA webmaster and see if I can get a confirmation of this site. It might be a phishing website wanting to get your info.
The site is absolutely legit. Not only did NRA HQ mention it when I called, it's featured prominently in the February issue of the NRA's American Rifleman magazine, in Wayne LaPierre's keynote article, "All In!" (see page 41).

The domain name may be registered through GoDaddy, but the registrant is the NRA, and when you sign-on to the site it connects to the NRA membership database and pulls your current member information and status on an SSL connection.

The name registrar doesn't indicate where or who actually hosts the site. In this case, it's a managed server (64.29.201.96) in Irving, TX, at Terremark, a provider of managed and cloud services with data centers in the US, Europe, and Latin America. In fact, Verizon just agreed, days ago, to acquire Terremark for $1.4 billion. This is the same place and in the same IP range that operates nra.org (64.29.201.199), nramemberservices.org (64.29.201.98), nrahq.org (64.29.201.103), and probably others.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

smilner01
Posts in topic: 8

Post by smilner01 »

Hmmm, I used a life members number, and zip on the website, but my credit card info, thy took the money from my account so well see if I get my member packet.
NRA Life Member
GSSF Life Member
CHL Holder-34 days class-to-card

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

smilner01 wrote:Hmmm, I used a life members number, and zip on the website, but my credit card info, thy took the money from my account so well see if I get my member packet.
You probably will.

Point is--as I learned after my call to HQ--what you did is you claimed to be the life member by using his or her membership number, zip code of record, and email address to sign-on to http://www.NRA-2012.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you received a confirmation email after the transaction--which I'll bet you did--I'll guarantee it was addressed to the life member, not to you.

Is the NRA actively cross-checking the name on the credit card used against the life member giving the "gift"? Probably not; likely not cost-effective to do so. Will skirting the intent of the promotion work and buying a discounted life membership for yourself be successful? Probably.

But since there is expressly no "sponsorship" option with the current program, and that the NRA's intent is for current life members to be able to purchase reduced-price life memberships for others as gifts, will current life members in good standing choose to behave contrary to the NRA's intentions and give out their information so a potential member can bypass the purpose of the membership promotion? Nope.

If it was truly a sponsorship program as we (last?) saw circa 2006-2007, I'd be first in line to lend a hand to recruit new life members. As it is, though, this current promotion is intended to be a gift purchased by the life member for the new or annual member. I don't think current life members will want to try to circumvent the NRA's intent.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

Skiprr wrote:
smilner01 wrote:Hmmm, I used a life members number, and zip on the website, but my credit card info, thy took the money from my account so well see if I get my member packet.
You probably will.

Point is--as I learned after my call to HQ--what you did is you claimed to be the life member by using his or her membership number, zip code of record, and email address to sign-on to http://www.NRA-2012.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you received a confirmation email after the transaction--which I'll bet you did--I'll guarantee it was addressed to the life member, not to you.

Is the NRA actively cross-checking the name on the credit card used against the life member giving the "gift"? Probably not; likely not cost-effective to do so. Will skirting the intent of the promotion work and buying a discounted life membership for yourself be successful? Probably.

But since there is expressly no "sponsorship" option with the current program, and that the NRA's intent is for current life members to be able to purchase reduced-price life memberships for others as gifts, will current life members in good standing choose to behave contrary to the NRA's intentions and give out their information so a potential member can bypass the purpose of the membership promotion? Nope.

If it was truly a sponsorship program as we (last?) saw circa 2006-2007, I'd be first in line to lend a hand to recruit new life members. As it is, though, this current promotion is intended to be a gift purchased by the life member for the new or annual member. I don't think current life members will want to try to circumvent the NRA's intent.
I have sponsored a number of folks through this method and have yet to see any e-mail from the NRA.

I am not sure what it is I would be circumventing.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Purplehood wrote:I have sponsored a number of folks through this method and have yet to see any e-mail from the NRA.

I explained it as best I could. There is no "sponsorship" associated with the current offer. The discounted life membership is intended to be a gift purchased by the current member for the prospective member, not a mechanism whereby the prospective member purchases a discounted life membership for himself.

You haven't seen any emails because they went to the new members' recently-input email addresses...although the emails were addressed to your name.

Give NRA HQ a call and talk to 'em about it.

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Mike1951 »

Skiprr wrote:
Purplehood wrote:I have sponsored a number of folks through this method and have yet to see any e-mail from the NRA.

I explained it as best I could. There is no "sponsorship" associated with the current offer. The discounted life membership is intended to be a gift purchased by the current member for the prospective member, not a mechanism whereby the prospective member purchases a discounted life membership for himself.

You haven't seen any emails because they went to the new members' recently-input email addresses...although the emails were addressed to your name.

Give NRA HQ a call and talk to 'em about it.
What I have been unable to get across is that there was no sponsorship associated with previous years' offers either.

The official offer has always been that the current Life member pay the $300 to sign up family or friends.

The NRA wanted members so they bent their rules. It would seem, in an election year, they would be anxious to continue doing this.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Purplehood »

I don't see any need to call the NRA. I want more members...if I am doing something "wrong" I just don't see it.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

smilner01

Post by smilner01 »

Yes, I have seen post on many other forums in regards to this. There are posts on fatwallet, ar15, gunrightsradio, the list goes on and on. One post I saw had the life member saying that he called the NRA to see if there was a limit and the rep joking with him about how big his family and friend group was. They told him to keep them coming. I think the NRA is fully aware of what is going on and they are more than glad to take the money and gain membership!
Last edited by smilner01 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
GSSF Life Member

2up1down
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2up1down »

Purplehood wrote:I don't see any need to call the NRA. I want more members...if I am doing something "wrong" I just don't see it.
:tiphat: :iagree: :patriot:

$1000 they will never get from some of us working stiffs ,,,
(pay well over $1400 a year just for extra insurance from them as an annual member),

$300 is more than they might ever receive from an "inactive" annual member =
it is a simple equation = members, money, and votes are what Washington responds to. :smash: :rules:

Let us reach down from our high horse and give a squire a chance to fight.
Or when it is clear that our Advocate is soliciting more revenue,
shall we turn a deaf ear, and prepose a righteousness that serves neither our cause or our brethren?

If our Advocate seeks an amount from a "Life Member" to bring others into the fold from his own pocket,
who could never on their own accord see fit to satisfy the standard fee for admittance,,,,

How can one not see that 1 member, offering a difficult sum for their circumstance,
because they care enough to be counted on the 'roles' of those who will not only defend the 2nd,
but use their voice and life to stand ready for the defense of our Constitution and Nation.

One lonely voice praying and challenging a Government is easily quelled.
When we come together, regardless the admittance fee, ?
saying that "FOR LIFE we Believe in the Constitution!"
then we shall be heard.

1978 my Father gifted me my first annual junior membership. (I was eleven)

I can never take $1000 away from my Wife and 4 Daughters for a patch or cap.
(but gladly pay my extra NRA insurance premiums which would easily make me one
of the chosen crowd who could afford the price of the "title" life/patron/benefactor member.)
The $300 I can offer to insure the NRA has one more life member to boast to Congress,
is just as potent as a member who paid $10,000. Souls and money SCARE Congress.

I will stand in front, beside, or behind any Brother that sees fit,
to insure our position of Constitutional righteousness is heard
load and clear in Washington by those who would shackle us.

Purplehood PM sent.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack."
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

waycostation
Posts in topic: 4

-

Post by waycostation »

Last edited by waycostation on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HankB »

I did get a sponsor, did not pretend to be a current member OR THE MEMBER who's membership number I had. I called & in fact stated I was not a member at all,verified my sponsors number AND NAME, where HE was from, gave my own name, address & payment info and told them I was a FRIEND to my sponsor...I paid $300.00 & I am now a NRA lifetime member.
I was planning to upgrade to Life, so I called the 1-800-672-3888 number. As recommended at another forum, I started my conversation with "I want to apply for the $300 life membership and have the NRA membership number and name for a current life member who is sponsoring me." This has worked for a number of people, but thanks to the woman at NRA who answered my call it didn't work for me - she refused to process the upgrade without actually talking to the sponsoring life member - she wanted me to put him on the line RIGHT NOW. Since he wasn't available, the upgrade was a no-go. :???:

I'll try again, maybe a different rep will answer the phone.

If not, fine - I'll keep my $300 and just extend my membership a year at a time "for free" when Cabela's has their periodic NRA Days. (Last time, $25 got you a 1 year extension . . . plus a $25 Cabela's gift card.)
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

waycostation
Posts in topic: 4

-

Post by waycostation »

Last edited by waycostation on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

smilner01

Post by smilner01 »

The number for this offer is 1-877-NRA-2012. You can also go to http://www.NRA-2012.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
NRA Life Member
GSSF Life Member

Return to “National Rifle Association”