NRA Natl Meeting 2013, HOUSTON

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 4

Re: NRA Natl Meeting 2013, HOUSTON

Post by LikesShinyThings »

jayinsat wrote:For those who have been to the conventions before, what are the prices on the merchandise typically? Are they marked up or similar to the prices you find online or at Academy? I'm asking about both guns and gear. My wife is looking for a new on-body carry system and we feel this will be an excellent opportunity to try different options before purchasing. Just wondering if we will pay a lot more buying there than waiting until we get back home.
In past Annual Meetings (all two that I've been to), they haven't been selling guns. In the main exhibit hall, some of the exhibitors are selling gear/clothing/accessories, but there are a significant percentage (maybe majority, though my memory is fuzzy on that) that aren't selling anything at all. It is a great place to see what's new and coming, though, and I LOVE the exhibit hall. As for prices for the dealers that are selling items - IIRC they usually have good prices. But don't think of this as your typical gun show. While it is great for seeing the new things the manufacturers are coming up with, it isn't about sales. It's about showing off and creating excitement. (BTW - hubby and I usually end up spending two full days to walk thru the entire exhibit hall - it's that large. Granted, we take our time, but if you want to really see everything, expect it to take you a lot of time.)

When I went to my first annual meeting, I was living in New York (Buffalo area). I can not tell you what an incredible experience it was to come from such an anti-gun environment into the meeting, and being just overwhelmed by the thousands of pro-gun people there. I'd never experienced that much positive attitude before. I'm sure it won't be nearly as impressive having lived in Texas for 7 years, but I still wouldn't miss it.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Mahzik
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mahzik »

Beiruty wrote:I plan to be there. If we would meet somewhere, please let us know.
I finally got around to preregistering the other day. Like many of us, it will be my first annual meeting. Would love to know if there are any plans to for a TexasCHLForum meetup.

Any suggestions from the NRA meeting veterans in the group other than come early and stay late?
Mahzik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Mahzik wrote: Any suggestions from the NRA meeting veterans in the group other than come early and stay late?
Wear comfortable shoes.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Adraper

Post by Adraper »

I'm bringing a car load down from Lufkin, TX. What is the likelyhood that saturday will be fiasco crazy crowded?

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

LikesShinyThings wrote:
Mahzik wrote: Any suggestions from the NRA meeting veterans in the group other than come early and stay late?
Wear comfortable shoes.
Back in 2005, I could still walk unassisted. Still, I never passed one of the too sparse benches with getting acquainted.

This year, I've got to leave it to you guys. Enjoy!!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

tommyg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tommyg »

leaving Austin for Houston Meeting May 2 return May5 :woohoo
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I'll be wandering the aisles in the exhibit hall and attending some of the events as well. I live a few miles from downtown, so no commute or hotels for me :-) And on a completely random note, my guest room and I will be playing host to Oleg Volk! Will be fun to meet him.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

I'm registered, I'm only going to be able to go on Friday due to commitments for the weekend. I've got a bunch of buds from work going too.
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

FishInTx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by FishInTx »

Adraper wrote:I'm bringing a car load down from Lufkin, TX. What is the likelyhood that saturday will be fiasco crazy crowded?
Fiasco, not likely. Crazy crowded, highly likely.

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

Family and I will be there everyday. Meeting an old friend there who works for the NRA in Washington DC. Wife and I have medical problems so we will be taking our time. We need the whole time to see and check out all the exhibits. Got tickets for the welcome and Glenn Beck too. We're looking for some not so common restaurants near the meeting. Greek, brazillian, west african, you know, stuff we don't see in deep east Texas. Any ideas or tips?? TIA.

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

If you are downtown on Friday, there is Droubi Brothers Lebanese restaurant.

I am going to be volunteering all day on Friday and attending with a few friends on Saturday. Depending on how it goes, I could show up Sunday if it is that good of a time.

So, how are we going to be able to spot fellow TexasCHLforum members?
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

I will be working the registration/membership area on Friday afternoon & the airgun range on Saturday & Sunday. Hope to meet some of you!
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

howdy

Post by howdy »

JustMe wrote:I will be working the registration/membership area on Friday afternoon & the airgun range on Saturday & Sunday. Hope to meet some of you!
I take it you have gotten your Volunteer assignment? Did you get an email or a letter? I volunteered but have not received anything.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

apostate

Post by apostate »

FishInTx wrote:We're looking for some not so common restaurants near the meeting. Greek, brazillian, west african, you know, stuff we don't see in deep east Texas. Any ideas or tips?? TIA.
Here's something you don't see in East Texas: Bombay Pizza They're 5 or 6 blocks from the convention center and if you're staying downtown, I think they deliver. I'm partial to the "Slumdog" pizza. :drool:

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Beiruty »

I am arranging family plans to free the Fri.Sat.Sun for the show. See you there :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “National Rifle Association”