NRA Natl Meeting 2013, HOUSTON

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Shoot Straight
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA Natl Meeting 2013, HOUSTON

Post by Shoot Straight »

Are there any good mass transit options for those of us in the suburbs?

I heard there will be 75k members attending. The convention center has a 1,600-space parking garage and there's an additional 650 spots at Discovery Green according to the website. Even with 3-4 people per car, that's only 10% of the people expected. If I have to walk that far, I may as well take the train, unless there's a more convenient bus or shuttle especially for the meeting.
Ride
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

howdy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by howdy »

Just got my Volunteer assignment.

I will be setting up the NRA store on Wednesday and Thursday and working the membership registration from 12:30-6 on Friday. I am the good looking 60ish, folically challanged guy with the big grin. I will have the word "howdy" printed on my pass.

There is lots of parking around the convention center. The center routinely has several conventions going on and Discovery Green is always crowded. Expect to pay $20 to park. The more crowded it is, the higher the rate. Also, the drinks/hotdogs at GRB have "stadium prices", so bring some extra cash. It would not surprise me to see some protesting at the Convention. They will not know what you are going to unless you have your badge on. I plan on wearing mine while going in. The protest will be small but there will probably be media present, so make your Mama proud and put on your best manners!! :mrgreen:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

FYI, on the NRA Annual Meeting site this is posted:
firearms. During the NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, conceal carry firearms are permitted in the George R. Brown Convention Center and the Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel. When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

http://www.nraam.org/

Txfire409

Post by Txfire409 »

Wasnt going to be able to make the meeting but plans changed today and I will be going tomorrow with my son. Didnt get to pre-register online so I guess we will will be waiting in line.

Txfire409

Post by Txfire409 »

I keep seeing that people will have badges. Is this required to get in? Is it too late to get one? Any and all info is appreciated.

LikesShinyThings
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LikesShinyThings »

If you pre-registered, you would have received the required badges in the mail. Having not pre-registered, you have to wait in line to register and receive the badge. The badge gives access to the exhibit hall. You must be an NRA member to get the badge.
Txfire409 wrote:I keep seeing that people will have badges. Is this required to get in? Is it too late to get one? Any and all info is appreciated.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Txfire409

Post by Txfire409 »

LikesShinyThings wrote:If you pre-registered, you would have received the required badges in the mail. Having not pre-registered, you have to wait in line to register and receive the badge. The badge gives access to the exhibit hall. You must be an NRA member to get the badge.
Txfire409 wrote:I keep seeing that people will have badges. Is this required to get in? Is it too late to get one? Any and all info is appreciated.
Life member here. Thanks for the info.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Wife & I went to the banquet last night. I'm heading out there today as soon as Jr wakes up & has his lunch. Tomorrow, the whole family will be there. Can't wait!
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I was there from 0930 -1230, it started getting busy when I left. The only person I saw that I knew was Charles (but I did not say hi). I was reminded why I do not like to go where there are large numbers of people - people are rude. People have no qualms about stopping in the way of others and blocking the isles. Other than that it was nice to go to to look around. The exhibits were getting too busy to look at the items (Sig, S&W, SA displays were all packed when I went by). Had to pay $30 to park but it was worth not having to walks for blocks.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Well I was all set to make my way down there, but our 9mo old had other ideas. So we'll try again tomorrow morning.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Beiruty »

I will be driving down from DFW to Houston in 20 mins. See you there :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

Went this morning from 9:00-1:30, was really getting crowded when leaving. Large crowds but everyone was friendly and polite. Went to the second level to see what was up there. Did the wall of guns raffle ($20.00 per ticket, 100 tickets max) winner gets choice of 2 guns on one side of the wall ($1000 ish) or one gun on the other side of the wall ($1000ish) and I won! I picked a Ruger .357 SS revolver and a Ruger .270 rifle. :hurry:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

smason

Friday morning

Post by smason »

We drove to Houston early this morning and got to the convention center around 8am. We were surprised to find out convention center parking was $30; however, it was so cold and so windy the thought of walking several blocks from a cheaper lot just did not appeal to us. So we paid the $30.

We spent some time in the NRA store until 9am when the exhibit hall opened. The exhibit hall wasn't very crowded at opening so we were able to easily wander around. I was happy to find a night scope for my rifle at a reasonable price and I found a shotgun for my wish list. We left before noon which was a good time for us because a lot more people were coming in the hall.

The guys from Duck Dynasty were in the exhibit hall as well as Sarge from the Military Channel.

FL450

Post by FL450 »

Great day (9:30-1:30 at the convention, found my 20 dollar parking in the garage with no problem. Didnt see anyother forum members with their forum name showing ( I had mine showing) Learned a lot about optics and hand gaurds for the AR build in progress. I also was suprised how many manufacturs of AR parts were out there I hadn't heard of. Lots of info to take in with only 4 hours to dedicate.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

sounds like y'al are already having fun!

We had planned on going, but with the surgery last weekend, well, maybe next year.... :???:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “National Rifle Association”