NRA press conference LIVE 9:45AM CST

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Re: NRA press conference LIVE 9:45AM CST

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Grossman's books discuss the inborn reluctance of people to shoot their fellow man. He talks about the increase in the percentage of troops who actually fire at the enemy when the military changed training so grunts practiced on humanoid targets, rather than bullseye targets. The willingness to kill went up dramatically when the military went to simulated combat using computers and laser-equipped weapons. Recruits were de-sensitized to violence and killing.

I have no doubt that violent games and movies have had an impact on society. It doesn't turn most people into homicidal maniacs, but the impact cannot be denied. I know we have a lot gamers on the Forum, but don't try to convince me that Grand Theft Auto that glorifies assaulting prostitutes and killing COPS, and other games that are worse, are wholesome for our kids.

Wayne gave a great speech. He pointed out the lack of funding for school security as compared to other people and institutions. I'm thrilled about our new School Shield Program. Once again, the NRA has a plan -- not just talking heads.

Chas.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pbwalker »

I thought it was great...he had actionable items, a plan, and did a great job.

Thant being said, I think it's going to backfire. His blasting of the media won't work out. The MSM will vilify him, portray the NRA in a bad light, and the masses will eat it up. :???:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

:tiphat:
This is interesting in light of NRA speech.
http://news.yahoo.com/texas-town-allows ... 17416.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:patriot:
God Bliss America.

urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

:thumbs2: I have to say I was very impressed with what the NRA speech. I expected it to be respectful but there were no concessions at all. I like that! I'm sure by all media accounts, the popular vote will be to continue down the path of gun control but just maybe a few more people question their position on "gun safety advocacy".
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

transcipt. A good read

http://home.nra.org/pdf/Transcript_PDF.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

Not comfortable with discussion of a national database for the 'mentally ill'. Nor the finger pointing toward movies and video games. I understand some of where he's coming from in discussion of the video games (which, apparently Lanza was playing almost full time up until he snapped). I think some of the effect of that is discussed in "The Bulletproof Mind" series. The effects of video games on the unstable is chilling. But someone has to be disconnected from reality before it has such an impact. But I don't think it the best idea to defend the 2nd amendment by pointing fingers at issues with the 1st. And the issue with a database for the mentally ill could have some abuses by government as well. Remember, there are a lot of people that think you're crazy just because you want to own a gun. So a 'national database' could be used to set up a gun ban via a 'Catch 22'.

He also called for 'Congress' to take action. Securing schools should be a local issue, rather than a top-down federal 'solution'.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

XinTX wrote: He also called for 'Congress' to take action. Securing schools should be a local issue, rather than a top-down federal 'solution'.
:iagree: Every time congress "takes action", we lose money or liberty.

I'm perfectly fine with congressional deadlock, except it does not deter this administration from doing bogus recess appointments and Executive Orders
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

I was really glad to not hear the same old guns don't kill people, people kill people rhetoric. I think that he did a brilliant job of at least trying to take the emotional argument away from the left. How can the left argue against providing police to "save the children"? It appears that the NRA has gotten the message that facts do not matter to the general polulation, measures that make people "feel" safer are what succeeds.

To the NRA board...........stay on the path that you started down today. Do not give an inch on gun control and continue to offer REAL meaningful actions.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

Rex B wrote:
XinTX wrote: He also called for 'Congress' to take action. Securing schools should be a local issue, rather than a top-down federal 'solution'.
:iagree: Every time congress "takes action", we lose money AND liberty.

I'm perfectly fine with congressional deadlock, except it does not deter this administration from doing bogus recess appointments and Executive Orders
Fixed it for 'ya!
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

steveincowtown wrote:
Crossfire wrote:How did all these crazies manage to get in????? :mad5

You would think the NRA would have a little better security.
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

A coworker and I had both decided to join the NRA earlier this week. After they announced the press conference we decided to wait to hear what they had to say first. I just joined. I'll try one year first. My coworkers just texted me telling me he also joined.

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

This is amazing. I love seeing the NRA stand up and put forth a plan, a real plan, something that could legitimately work, and then adding that they are going to foot the bill where necessary.

Meanwhile, the news, politicians, and lefties are scrambling to find fault in the plan that the NRA put forth, because they haven't come up with anything realistic on their own.

Good Job, NRA. I'm happy to see my membership fee going toward this. I'll gladly volunteer more money to get this program rolling. Heck, I'll volunteer at my local schools too.
No More Signature

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

snatchel wrote:This is amazing. I love seeing the NRA stand up and put forth a plan, a real plan, something that could legitimately work, and then adding that they are going to foot the bill where necessary.

Meanwhile, the news, politicians, and lefties are scrambling to find fault in the plan that the NRA put forth, because they haven't come up with anything realistic on their own.

Good Job, NRA. I'm happy to see my membership fee going toward this. I'll gladly volunteer more money to get this program rolling. Heck, I'll volunteer at my local schools too.
:iagree:

As soon as the bills are paid from Christmas I'll be hitting up someone to sponsor me in the $300 Life membership thread.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Gameover

Post by Gameover »

Glad I joined!!! Long live the REPUBLIC!!! :patriot:
Question everything

Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

Even though I'm a member, I don't always agree with the NRA's stance on issues or the way they present their ideas. However, this time I am 100% in agreement.

I used to think it was preposterous that violent media/games contributed to real life violence... then I read Colonel Grossman's books (On Combat and On Killing) and I have to say that he changed my mind. They are well worth a read if you are interested in the psychological barriers that make us unwilling to kill and how those barriers are broken down.

As for a national database of the mentally ill... I think that something needs to be done. There are a lot of hard questions: what disqualifies you, how long are you disqualified, what about if it is controlled by medication, how can you appeal, etc... and I don't have the answer to them, but I think we need to start having that conversation. I think we also need to put a lot of resources toward the mental health system in general.

Anyway... I thought it was a fantastic press conference and I can't think of a time when I have been more proud to be a member of the NRA.

:tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

Return to “National Rifle Association”