NRA press conference LIVE 9:45AM CST

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA press conference LIVE 9:45AM CST

Post by jmra »

steveincowtown wrote:
chartreuse wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:What won't be forgotten, and which people will repeat and remember over the long haul is that quote: "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
This is true and was a very fine thing for Mr. La Pierre to say. I am just saddened by the rest of the beltway "give a guy a bureaucracy and who cares about the cost" games that he played today.
I may need to watch the speech again, but it didn't seem to me that he was suggesting a Federal level program to secure schools.

On the contrary, it seemed it was suggesting a grassroots local effort.
He did ask congress to fund it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

I feared it would be a sell out, and it wasn't. However, what was made abundantly clear is that the presssitutes aren't just liberal, and aren't objective reporters of fact, but active enemies of the United States of America, our Constitution, and the truth. We have a treasonous media cabal that is actively attempting to undermine the Constitution and destroy the Republic, and they are going to have to be dealt with.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

chartreuse wrote:I'm afraid that I must disagree with the general round of back slapping. This may make me unpopular, but I can live with that.

I found many of the statements made this morning to be troubling, to say the least. It would appear that the NRA is proposing another TSA, despite the fact that we, in Texas, have proven that there is no need for yet another bureaucratic machine, given that ordinary folks are quite capable of responding to such situations.

Frankly, if the only way that Mr. Pierre can think of to defend gun rights is expanding bureaucracy and putting the country further into unsustainable debt, then we need to fire him and hire somebody who is less useless.
I disagree. With the current state of the economy, it's going to be near impossible for police agencies and school districts to afford full time coverage in every single school in America. That may open the door for more school districts to go the way of Texas' Harold school district, and allow Staff with CHL's to carry in the schools. The safety and security of this country doesn't rest with Government, schools or police. It rests with WE THE PEOPLE.

Maybe this could bring life back into the 2nd Amendment...bring real meaning to "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state" Citizens as trained vol. militia to help secure our schools from the evil that does exist. Not as law enforcers, but as observers and in the event of a shooter, as defenders. All citizens who pay school taxes and/or have children in that district have a vested interest in the safety of the children.

The truth is, to make a real and meaningful difference in this nation, we need to once again become a nation of people who live and breathe responsibility. We need a nation of real men & women who care about each other, who will take a stand against the issues that brought us to where we are today. I fear our society isn't ever going to recover. This shooting will pass out of memory, American Idol will be on, the bachelor and other shows will take away the short attention spans of many Americans.

I just pray that we can come back to true American values, but I just don't know anymore.

Thank you NRA for providing real solutions, may it not fall on deaf ears.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

chartreuse
Posts in topic: 7

Post by chartreuse »

steveincowtown wrote:I may need to watch the speech again, but it didn't seem to me that he was suggesting a Federal level program to secure schools.
He clearly called for "Congress to appropriate funds". That makes it Federal and the rest follows inevitably.

I fear that the NRA has become captured by Beltway Bandits and has made a tactical decision to pander to the big government mob – “Leave the guns alone and we’ll give you another bureaucratic empire – it’s what you really want anyway.”

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

chartreuse wrote:I'm afraid that I must disagree with the general round of back slapping. This may make me unpopular, but I can live with that.

I found many of the statements made this morning to be troubling, to say the least. It would appear that the NRA is proposing another TSA, despite the fact that we, in Texas, have proven that there is no need for yet another bureaucratic machine, given that ordinary folks are quite capable of responding to such situations.

Frankly, if the only way that Mr. Pierre can think of to defend gun rights is expanding bureaucracy and putting the country further into unsustainable debt, then we need to fire him and hire somebody who is less useless.
What TSA program? Show us that in the transcript of Wayne's speech.

As for debt, please read Wayne's comments below about where we are currently spending hundreds of millions of dollars. If you are against deferring some of this money to protect our children, then I guess you and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

Also, it's clear that Wayne knows Congress won't provide the necessary funding, so it is very much a grass roots efforts. Again, read his comments.

Chas.
NRA Position wrote:By Wayne LaPierre:

How have our nation's priorities gotten so far out of order? Think about it. We care about our money, so we protect our banks with armed guards. American airports, office buildings, power plants, courthouses — even sports stadiums — are all protected by armed security.

We care about the President, so we protect him with armed Secret Service agents. Members of Congress work in offices surrounded by armed Capitol Police officers. Yet when it comes to the most beloved, innocent and vulnerable members of the American family — our children — we as a society leave them utterly defenseless, and the monsters and predators of this world know it and exploit it That must change now!

. . .

With all the foreign aid, with all the money in the federal budget, we can’t afford to put a police officer in every school? Even if they did that, politicians have no business — and no authority — denying us the right, the ability, or the moral imperative to protect ourselves and our loved ones from harm.

. . .

If we truly cherish our kids more than our money or our celebrities, we must give them the greatest level of protection possible and the security that is only available with a properly trained — armed — good guy.

. . .

By Congressman Asa Hutchinson:

The second point I want to make is that this will be a program that doesn't depend on massive funding from local authorities or the
federal government. Instead, it'll make use of local volunteers serving in their own communities. In my home state of Arkansas, my son was a volunteer with a local group called "Watchdog Dads," who volunteer their time at schools to patrol playgrounds and rovide a measure of added security.

Whether they're retired police, retired military or rescue personnel, I think there are people in every community in this country, who would be happy to serve, if only someone asked them and gave them the training and certification to do so.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

chartreuse wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:I may need to watch the speech again, but it didn't seem to me that he was suggesting a Federal level program to secure schools.
He clearly called for "Congress to appropriate funds". That makes it Federal and the rest follows inevitably.

I fear that the NRA has become captured by Beltway Bandits and has made a tactical decision to pander to the big government mob – “Leave the guns alone and we’ll give you another bureaucratic empire – it’s what you really want anyway.”
This is complete crap! If you didn't listen to the press conference, then read the transcript. If you did listen to it, then read the transcript because you clearly missed something.

Stop taking things out of context.

Chas.

chartreuse

Post by chartreuse »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Also, it's clear that Wayne knows Congress won't provide the necessary funding, so it is very much a grass roots efforts. Again, read his comments.
Charles. Mr La Pierre explicitly called upon Congress to "appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school in this nation." You can't spin that out of existence.

You're a board member of the NRA. I'm just one of the poor schmucks who funds it. It's understandable that you would favour the current direction that the organisation is taking and I'm not here to argue with you about that, directly.

I'm here to tell you that, up here in the Panhandle, the sentiment among firearms enthusiasts is overwhelmingly one of disgust at this morning's performance. We are the people who pay the wages of those folks in DC. We'd like to be listened to.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

chartreuse wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Also, it's clear that Wayne knows Congress won't provide the necessary funding, so it is very much a grass roots efforts. Again, read his comments.
Charles. Mr La Pierre explicitly called upon Congress to "appropriate whatever is necessary to put armed police officers in every school in this nation." You can't spin that out of existence.

You're a board member of the NRA. I'm just one of the poor schmucks who funds it. It's understandable that you would favour the current direction that the organisation is taking and I'm not here to argue with you about that, directly.

I'm here to tell you that, up here in the Panhandle, the sentiment among firearms enthusiasts is overwhelmingly one of disgust at this morning's performance. We are the people who pay the wages of those folks in DC. We'd like to be listened to.
Read the excepts I posted above; you're deliberately taking it out of context. He made the statement right after he pointed out the money that we spend protecting things we value. If you really can't understand why this was done, then I certainly can't help you.

From the minute the press conference was over, the NRA phones and email was swamped with people calling to praise the NRA for its plan. We are adding new Members at the rate of 8,000 per day. Don't try to tell me you know what all the Members in the Panhandle like or don't like.

I'm not spinning anything, but you'll find the guy who is by looking in the mirror.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

chartreuse wrote:I found many of the statements made this morning to be troubling, to say the least. It would appear that the NRA is proposing another TSA, despite the fact that we, in Texas, have proven that there is no need for yet another bureaucratic machine, given that ordinary folks are quite capable of responding to such situations.
I'm still waiting for you to show us the TSA-like federal agency you claim the NRA is proposing. Be sure to point to it in the transcript by page number.

Chas.

chartreuse

Post by chartreuse »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Read the excepts I posted above; you're deliberately taking it out of context. He made the statement right after he pointed out the money that we spend protecting things we value. If you really can't understand why this was done, then I certainly can't help you.

From the minute the press conference was over, the NRA phones and email was swamped with people calling to praise the NRA for its plan. We are adding new Members at the rate of 8,000 per day. Don't try to tell me you know what all the Members in the Panhandle like or don't like.

I'm not spinning anything, but you'll find the guy who is by looking in the mirror.
A call upon Congress to appropriate funds is a call upon Congress to appropriate funds. You may wish that he hadn't said it, but he did.

I suspect that we are in private agreement about the preferred response - Greg Abbott is to be applauded for his suggestion of rolling out Harrold ISD's plan state wide, but sadly that's not what Mr. La Pierre proposed.

I certainly don't know the minds of everybody in the Panhandle and do not claim to. But there's an old Jewish proverb: "If six people say that you're sick, lie down." What I'm seeing in local discussions round here is many more than six people saying that the NRA is sick.

I'm sure that y'all are very happy about adding 8000 members a day, with all that money. I'd be happy if you'd stop focussing on being a self-perpetuating part of the Beltway establishment and get back to the first principles that regular folks like me fund you for.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

The money which could be given to the states to implement school security on a state by state, city by city, basis BY THE STATES, could easily come from the vast sums we send to foreign governments to bribe them into saying they like us.

I found no fault with the NRA speech, but I'm a Senior American NRA member, so what do I know? I do know we have enough, if not to many, existing federal programs and employees without adding more.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

I haven't read the transcript yet but I did listen to the speech when he gave it. I took what he said to mean that we find ways to afford to protect other things we value, why not our kids? I also took it that he proposed we redirect some funds from other less valuable things and use it to help school districts provide protection for our kids.

I don't favor more federal funds being spent on schools as I see education as a state and local responsibility but I would sure rather redirect the money we are sending to countries that hate us and want to do us and our allies harm and use it for the protection of our kids. Plus, our local districts can't afford more unfunded mandates.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

How have our nation's priorities gotten so far out of order? Think about it. We care about our money, so we protect our banks with armed guards. American airports, office buildings, power plants, courthouses — even sports stadiums — are all protected by armed security.
Far be it for me to disagree with Mr. LaPierre, maybe we just put our money in different banks. But in all my 61 years, I don't think I've ever been in a bank with an armed guard. In fact, when that was mentioned I immediately flashed on the "armed guard" in the Bank of Mayberry. He was about 75 years old and was always asleep in a chair. When Barney woke him up, he'd get up with a start and pull his revolver, which would fall into pieces on the floor. If we get armed guards for our schools, lets not base it on bank guards from the 1930's. :eek6
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote:I haven't read the transcript yet but I did listen to the speech when he gave it. I took what he said to mean that we find ways to afford to protect other things we value, why not our kids? I also took it that he proposed we redirect some funds from other less valuable things and use it to help school districts provide protection for our kids.

I don't favor more federal funds being spent on schools as I see education as a state and local responsibility but I would sure rather redirect the money we are sending to countries that hate us and want to do us and our allies harm and use it for the protection of our kids. Plus, our local districts can't afford more unfunded mandates.
This is exactly what Wayne is advocating and it's clear in the transcript.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

sjfcontrol wrote:

Far be it for me to disagree with Mr. LaPierre, maybe we just put our money in different banks. But in all my 61 years, I don't think I've ever been in a bank with an armed guard. In fact, when that was mentioned I immediately flashed on the "armed guard" in the Bank of Mayberry. He was about 75 years old and was always asleep in a chair. When Barney woke him up, he'd get up with a start and pull his revolver, which would fall into pieces on the floor. If we get armed guards for our schools, lets not base it on bank guards from the 1930's. :eek6
He's talking about federal reserve banks (extensive security) and those that are run by federal receivers. There may be others, but I'm not sure which ones.

Chas.

Return to “National Rifle Association”