NRA ILA - Hoping Charles Can Pass This Along

Discussions and announcements related to the NRA.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

NRA ILA - Hoping Charles Can Pass This Along

Post by RoyGBiv »

Several days ago I was trying to make a donation to ILA via their web page. I selected to pay by credit card, entered the card number and went to select the expiration date from the drop down list. Turns out the list of years stops at 2021 and my CC expires in 2022.

I sent them this problem report via their "Contact Us" page and have not received a reply. The problem persists as of this AM.

Thanks for any assistance.
ILA.jpg
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

txglock21
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NRA ILA - Hoping Charles Can Pass This Along

Post by txglock21 »

Wow, I have never had a credit card that the expiration was more than 4 years from the month I got it. I hope they get it worked out for you.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

txglock21 wrote:Wow, I have never had a credit card that the expiration was more than 4 years from the month I got it. I hope they get it worked out for you.
Kind of an unusual expiration date, I agree.
It's a reloadable card... I use it for "gun-stuff"
Been using it a lot lately... :mrgreen:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
txglock21 wrote:Wow, I have never had a credit card that the expiration was more than 4 years from the month I got it. I hope they get it worked out for you.
Well you're on a terrorist watch list now. Using a reloadable card to buy gun stuff. You silly jihadi you. :nono:
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jago668 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Well you're on a terrorist watch list now. Using a reloadable card to buy gun stuff. You silly jihadi you. :nono:
Hmmmm....... I need to fly later this month... Hope I don't have any problems. :lol:

(ETA: Even on reloadable cards they still need to know your SSN... Same for prepaid debit cards, AFAIK, if you want to register them to use them for online shopping)

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

I no longer give out my SSN for purposes other than SS.

If that causes me a delay, I live with it.

That number isn't for anything, but SS requirements.

If more people would balk at the illegitimate request/demand for this number, it'd go away...

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote:I no longer give out my SSN for purposes other than SS.

If more people would balk at the illegitimate request/demand for this number, it'd go away...
Have you opened a bank or brokerage account lately? It would be impossible without providing SSN. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Abraham wrote:I no longer give out my SSN for purposes other than SS.

Financial institutions can demand your SSN. Try opening up a bank account without your SSN. Same for your credit cards.
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- ... e-1282.php

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've refused to give out my SSN to a wide variety of business's.

One was at a doctor's office whose receptionist insisted I give them my SSN after I turned in my paper work. I said no and further said I would take by business elsewhere if it came to that, as I wasn't going to give it to them. At that time she then politely asked me to wait a moment. She disappeared momentarily, came back and said I didn't have to give them my SSN after all.

Are there some instances one must provide a SSN number or not get the service?

Sure, but I've learned how to get around that doing so about 95% of the time.

Many, many business's insist you give them your SSN, when they've no right to it and often don't safeguard it properly.

These are the places I refuse to give it to them and generally they cave...if not, I walk.

LabRat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LabRat »

I agree with previous comments; I don't give it out unless it's required by law....like a bank, etc that must report to the IRS.

Doc offices don't get it; I just say I don't know the number and don't carry my card with me. Its true (the don't carry the card part, at least).
Just leaving the form blank is usually enough to get the point across. otherwise I just put "N/A".
None of my insurance is tied to my SSN. My insurer provided a letter when they disconnected the SSN from coverage. They advised to push back on the request.

if I know the business is just being nosy, I sometimes will tell them that demanding the number when they're not legally entitled to it is a Federal offense and then wait to see their reaction. I walk away, after talking to a manager, etc., if they won't relent.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

LabRat,

One of the times I couldn't refuse to give out my SSN was when renting a safe deposit box at a bank.

I balked at the request, but the nice lady renting the safe deposit box politely informed me, no SSN, no safe deposit box.

I sighed, and informed her about my misgivings regarding my concerns about how well my information/SSN would be safeguarded.

At this point, she rather huffily informed me: SIR, be ASSURED, as a banking institution we protect your confidential information with the utmost care.

Her desk was situated just to the left of the entrance. Out in the open. No private office for her.

I reluctantly filled out the paper work to rent the box. I handed it to her. She, said O.K. let's walk to the safe deposit box area and as we walked to it, I said STOP!

She'd left my paperwork, face up on her desk for all the world to see who happened to walk by.

I inquired if this was she could "ASSURE ME" my confidential information would be safeguarded?

Red faced, she said not a word.

I grabbed my paper work and walked out...

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Abraham wrote:LabRat,

One of the times I couldn't refuse to give out my SSN was when renting a safe deposit box at a bank.

I balked at the request, but the nice lady renting the safe deposit box politely informed me, no SSN, no safe deposit box.

I sighed, and informed her about my misgivings regarding my concerns about how well my information/SSN would be safeguarded.

At this point, she rather huffily informed me: SIR, be ASSURED, as a banking institution we protect your confidential information with the utmost care.

Her desk was situated just to the left of the entrance. Out in the open. No private office for her.

I reluctantly filled out the paper work to rent the box. I handed it to her. She, said O.K. let's walk to the safe deposit box area and as we walked to it, I said STOP!

She'd left my paperwork, face up on her desk for all the world to see who happened to walk by.

I inquired if this was she could "ASSURE ME" my confidential information would be safeguarded?

Abraham,
Amen, walk out.
I could see using an SSN for a safety deposit box due to possible wills and estate concerns if you passed away.
But not safeguarding your information is deal-breaker - especially after she dressed you down like she did....I think you did well. I would have done the same.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Good to know that I'm not the only one who does these kind of things! This has been one of my pet peeves for years and years, along with stores that want me to give them my telephone number and zip code when checking out. And when I ask why they would need it, they of course then will always say that they'll go ahead and finish without it, as if they're doing me some kind of a favor or something. But it is amazing to me to stand there and watch the sheeple just go ahead and comply.

And same for SSN. As for banks - I myself like to remind them that under the law they can only request your SSN for any transaction that is required by law to be reported to the IRS. That does NOT include a safe deposit box. However, in Texas they can then simply decline to rent you a box as Texas is not one of the five states that prohibit denying goods and services to an individual who declines to give an SSN.

But a doctors office, nope, not happening and I tell them point blank that it is not legal for them to request it or to use it for identification as per Privacy Act of 1974 and HIPPA.

According to the SSA site you aren't legally required to provide your SSN to businesses unless one of the following is true:

• You'll be engaging in a transaction that requires notification to the Internal Revenue Service; or

• You're initiating a financial transaction subject to federal Customer Identification Program rules.

And that's it.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

LabRat wrote:
Abraham wrote:LabRat,

Abraham,
Amen, walk out.
I could see using an SSN for a safety deposit box due to possible wills and estate concerns if you passed away.
But not safeguarding your information is deal-breaker - especially after she dressed you down like she did....I think you did well. I would have done the same.

LabRat
Let me share something about that. In Texas they have something called an unincorporated non-profit professional association. You can go to the Texas Secretary of State site and find sample language for the ONLY document you need to create one. And you do not file paperwork to create it. And you can use your favorite UPS store address if you just get a box with them. But no other filings with the state, not with your local government. And then you go to the IRS site and request a taxpayer identification number for your new association, listing the purpose as for banking records only. Then they give you a number. Then you take your paperwork to the bank, along with the printout that you get from the IRS with your address and your taxpayer number, and use that to get a safe deposit box, or even to open a bank account if you wish (and they often have special rates or fees waived for non-profits). So go create a professional association for whatever purpose, and you are set. I have done it, no problems other than the bank branch needing to talk to someone internally as they may have never heard of this, but I just bring a copy of the state web site showing it is legitimate, along with my paperwork. Easy.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Return to “National Rifle Association”