CHL Instructors: Handgun Choices?

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

CHL Instructors: Handgun Choices?

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I am curious to hear the opinions of other CHL instructors as to what type handgun they think would be best for the "average" CHL licensee. I'm speaking not about the shooters that come through the classes, but those who are not firearm enthusiasts, but see the need in a CHL.

I understand that most of us don't recommend weapons or brands, etc, but I'm wondering if any other instructors have formed any opinions on this based on what they've seen.

Best.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

Not a CHL instructor. Whenever anyone who is not a shooter asks about what kind of handgun to buy for personal protection I recommend a 2-3" .38 double action revolver. Lots of good choices out there, both new and used, in the under $300 range.

A DA revolver is easy to shoot and much safer than a semiauto in the hands of a non shooter.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

MoJo, I will have to disagree on the choice you have for a beginner. Not a CHL instructor either, but I am a firearms instructor. IMO the 2" DA revolver is one of the hardest to master. I would agree that a 4" bbl DA revolver would not be a bad choice.

I would suggest, for a semi-auto, a Glock. I like it because it is very easy to teach manipulation to a novice. The Glock, not my personal favorite and ugly as the day is long, has a proven track record of reliability. I always suggest 9mm. In about 15 min, you can have malfunction drills done with.

Glenn

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Baytown,

Agreed a snub is hard to master. Everyone seems to want something small. Personaly, I have no problem concealing my 4" 686 but, I am 5'11" and 250# :wink:

That said, the local citizen's police academy includes firearms training in its course. I am a alumni of the course and a voulinteer instructor. You would be amazed how many perfect or, near perfect, scores are shot with revolvers by people with absolutely no experience with firearms with only four hours of classroom instruction.

Mo
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

That is true, you would also be amazed at the number of police officers I see who can't shoot 90% to qualify. Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction :roll:

There are some officers who won't go to IDPA matches because they don't want to get beat by citizens. Go figure.

Glenn

Lindy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lindy »

There are some officers who won't go to IDPA matches because they don't want to get beat by citizens.
I've seen a bunch of police officers come out to one IDPA match, and never come back. I assume it's because of how poorly they shot. The ones who come back, of course, improve, as we all did.

I've found it necessary to be willing to look like a fool to learn anything new.

Since a Glock is at least as easy to shoot as most revolvers, and much easier to reload, that's what I'd prefer to teach someone to shoot as a first handgun. If someone is going to need to use a handgun defensively, I'd make the assumption that one load might not be enough. If I wen't making that assumption, I'd probably carry a revolver myself.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I sure appreciate the input and thank you for taking time to respond. As for myself, I see the "average" non-shooting enthusiast best served with a
3 or 4" K-frame loaded with .38 Special +P. Most can handle it and the weapon's simple to use under stress. If an automatic is insisted upon, most seem to have little problems with Glocks and Kahr handguns. I have some concerns when it come to their keeping their finger off the trigger til time to shoot, but IF they can remember that either of these two autopistols seem simple enough to use under stress.

Best and thank you all again.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

Steve, I'm in agreement with comments above regarding mid-size revolvers - at least for the 50% or so of folks who carry only in vehicle. And there are certainly lots of Glock and Ruger owners who fall into that category.

Of those who have evolved to carry on-bod virtually every day, the S&W 5-holers are most commonly what I see actually carried. Not too far behind are the little Kel-Tecs and polymer frame Kahrs. But ... these folk probably don't fall into the category of "average non-shooting enthusiast".

In my not-so-humble-opinion, the folks who own only the bigger guns tend to be the ones that get the CHL typically for "traveling" - and may or may not shoot between renewal classes every four years.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I sure appreciate the input shared.

Best.

Return to “Camp's Corner”