Simonich Gunner Grips for BHP

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Simonich Gunner Grips for BHP

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Last monday I ordered a set of the Simonich Gunner Grips for the Hi Power and they arrived in the mail today. Some fitting is required, at least in my case.

I opted to put these grips on an older Hi Power. Fitting took about 20 minutes.

When properly on the pistol, fit is not perfect, but neither have been other grips I've tried. Part of this is because of slight dimensional changes between the forged and cast frame pistols. This seems to be primarily in the area of the magazine well.

Here you can see the gaps between the stocks and the frame in the magazine well area. Fit elsewhere is much, much closer.

Grip fit in this area is seldom perfect on the Hi Power in my experience. I have some factory stocks that fit certain guns considerably better than others in this regard and if interested, the link below shows some examples of how some other make stocks fit the Hi Power.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Haka ... Stocks.htm

I found the grips quite comfortable, which is subjective, but I like them. The grip is the most secure that I've ever experienced on a handgun grip and believe that these would still provide very good "traction" in wet hands.

For a Hi Power that's expected to experience some dings and knocks or to be carried in the rain or in situations where hands can be wet from sweat or blood, these grips might be very well worth considering.

I like mine quite a lot.

http://www.simonichknives.com

Best.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the info Mr. Camp. Are the grips abrasive or just appear that way. I see that they are made for the 1911 as well. Might have to look into a pair.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I don't find them abrasive, but they are coarse, but not uncomfortable in the least.

Best.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

How do you think they would feel next to skin sauch as with an IWB holster?

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I've not tried that yet, but I THINK that with a tee-shirt, they'd be fine. They might be a bit rough right up next to the skin.

I'll try it and see and let you know.

Best.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the quick replies.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. You're welcome. I just put the gun in an IWB holster and for me, these grips are just right on the edge of being too rough when up tight against my side.

Best.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Sounds good. So with a t shirt there would be no problem, as you said earlier.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I don't think that there would be a problem with a t-shirt.

Best.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. Due to a heavy schedule I'd not been able to shoot my Hi Power more than just a few shots with the Gunner Grips until today. Then, wouldn't you know it, I had to rush. I'd gone to the police range and had just enough time to shoot a little while before a federal agency began running a few of its folks through qualifications.

The grips were used with the same Hi Power shown previously.

After my initial post on these grips I was asked if they were rough on the hands at all. I didn't think that they would be but had fired so few number of shots that I didn't have a firm answer. Considering the mild 9mm recoil in the Hi Power, I didn't expect any unforseen problems due to these grips' rougher-than-normal texture...and there were no surprises; they do not make the shooting hand tender at all.

I fired 150 rounds of Fiocchi 115-gr. FMJ, 50 rounds of Winchester USA 115-gr. FMJ, 50 rounds of a warm handload launching a 124-gr. XTP @ 1240 ft/sec, and 50 rounds of some old Corbon 115-gr. JHP +P I had for a total of 300 shots. I didn't shoot many groups as time was short.

This magazine-full of Fiocchi was fired from a rest, seated and with my wrists braced. It was done in slow fire. The BarSto barrel is fitted to this pistol and the gun is
accurate with many factory loads but especially the 124-gr. XTP handload. I've noticed improvement with it when using cast bullets more so than jacketed. My later Hi Powers are used with the factory barrels and group well as I shoot primarily jacketed ammunition through them.

At fifteen yards, the gun grouped well. On some occasions, changing grips can change the POI. I have seen it but not often and not in this case.

After 4 slow-fire groups I ran several magazines of the warmer loads at falling steel plates @ 15 yards, picking up the cadence each string. There were no problems with the Gunner's unduly wearing my shooting hand. I tried shooting the plates a few times right-handed-only and then with my left hand; same result: no abrasions from these grips.

Some double and triple-taps as well as a few sets of controlled pairs followed by another two groups in slow-fire at 10 and about 17 yards ended the session.

I honestly do not think that these most aggressively textured grips will cause anyone any pain at all on either the 9mm Hi Power or the 1911 pattern pistols for which they are also offered. I am mightily impressed at the manner in which they almost seem to grip the hand instead of visa-versa. Subjectively speaking they are not as "comfortable" to me as either Mr. Spegel's or Mr. Pek's stocks, but they would be my first choice were I still in uniform wearing an exposed sidearm. In rain, or sweat-drenched hands, these stocks will still give a very very secure purchase. I was wearing a banlon shirt and made some draws from beneath it using an IWB holster. I did not notice the shirt clinging to the grips or causing "printing" any more than any other Hi Power grips. I think that they would do fine for a concealed carry pistol, but suggest wearing an undershirt or T-shirt under the outside shirt; they are a little rough against the ribs as the gun rides past the skin when sitting or changing positions.

Here is a better picture of the Gunner Grips. Some may find them elegant for beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as the saying goes. I won't go that far, but I don't find them ugly. I would describe them as an unusual design that is starkly functional. Right now, these would be own my duty pistol were I still in police service.

As has been mentioned, I did have to fit these grips to my guns, but this was minor work and they fit snugly. The screw heads fit snugly/firmly in the grip screw holes and didn't loosen one wit when checked upon returning home.

These grips did not interfere with the magazines falling freely when the mag release was press as some grips can.

In short, I think that these Gunner Grips for the Hi Power are a very useful and functional accoutrement for the weapon.

Best.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txinvestigator »

That is pretty
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “Camp's Corner”