Just Relaxed at the Range with a Plain "Vanilla" 3

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Just Relaxed at the Range with a Plain "Vanilla" 3

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I went out to the firing range today without note paper, camera, or any project or agenda other than to have some fun with my 4" S&W Model 10 HB. I picked this up "right" at a gunshow a while back and while I'd have preferred the traditional square butt, I've learned to live with the round one on this service size K-frame.

In this picture it has the inexpensive nylon "Hideout" grips on it and they work fine, but I put it back in original condition with the S&W round butt service stocks and a Tyler grip adapter before shooting it today.

Shooting the revolver double-action, I did mostly 15 and 25 yard slow-fire double-action shooting.

I did fire 12 shots rapid-fire at 5 and 7 yards, but then fired the remaining 88 shots in slow, deliberate double-action. Groups at 25 yards were about the size of a grown man's clenched fist which was good enough for me.

Speaking only for myself, I find that just shooting for fun is as relaxing as can be. Though I do think we should always work for proper grip, sight picture, trigger control, etc, sometimes it is just plain fun to go out and shoot for fun.

I think that sometimes I get too wrapped around the axle worrying about shooting the tightest groups possible or having a split time below this or that...and it seems to take the fun out of it after 30 + years. Now and then I suggest that we all just go and while we should try to do our best so that bad habits are not ingrained, just plain have fun.

Best.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Its amazing when you find something that reminds you that slow and steady, beats fast and frenzied...

And it is just plain fun...

Makes me hate that I gave up my Dan Wesson .357 a couple of years ago...For almost nothing...

If yer S&W was Vanilla...

Dan Wesson made it smooth like a 12 year old scotch...

Isn't fun to find things like that Smith???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

You guys are going to force me to get out to the range with my revolvers!! I can't stand to see the pictures without wanting to go. I have ALOT of toys......but my 686 is the one that stays in my nightstand.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

RioShooter

Re: Just Relaxed at the Range with a Plain "Vanilla&quo

Post by RioShooter »

Stephen A. Camp wrote: Now and then I suggest that we all just go and while we should try to do our best so that bad habits are not ingrained, just plain have fun.
This is an important reminder of why we do any hobby. I shoot IDPA and bowling pins, skeet, and trap and its very easy to get consumed by the competition. I've been keeping my targets from the range, and each time I go I try to score my personal best. If I don't, I leave the range with a negative feeling. I love competition, but is shouldn't get in the way of enjoying what you're doing. Shooting IS fun!

BTW, I've got the same "problem" with golf.

Chuck

Return to “Camp's Corner”