D.E. Collins Stocks for RB S&W Model 10...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

D.E. Collins Stocks for RB S&W Model 10...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I recently found a grip maker I didn't know existed! Browsing his site, I found that I liked what I saw. I contacted Mr. Collins to see if a set of stocks for a round butt K-frame were available and the set I wanted was.

I sent in my cashier's check last week and today I received the grips. They are of Black Ash Burl and are laminated with
darker colored wood on the front and rear of the grip straps.
(These are Picture ID #336 on his site.)

Intended for use on an S&W Model 10 4" Heavy Barrel, I was pleased to note that they "press" into place and have no movement even before being screwed on; in short, they fit very well.

Here you can see the fit on the front of the grips below the triggerguard.

...and from the bottom.

And a side view from the rear.

Comfort is very subjective, but I do find these stocks extremely comfortable, but more importantly just enough thicker and with enough "filler" on the front to handle the loss of lateral control I was having with thinner grips.

They will work with speedloaders but were this revolver intended strictly for defensive purposes I would very slightly relieve the area behind the cylinder when in the open position.

A view of the Collins grips on the revolver.

I fully admit that there are less expensive choices and I've had really good luck with certain makes and models of rubber grips, but on a blued gun I prefer wood when possible. So far I am quite pleased with the quality, fit, and looks of these grips.

I suspect that they have found a "home."

If interested in Mr. Collins' work, his site has very good pictures, his prices, and contact information.

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com

Best.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

Those are very nice and something to be proud of. I have grips like my wife has shoes. I constantly change the grips on my 1911's.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Stephen:
Those are some beautiful grips!!

Chas.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

That is like looking at a fancy new dress on a woman that was already beautiful. I have always loved the Model 10. Your new grips really compliment the blue....we have the same taste in Smiths. Thanks for the pics.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Those are perhaps the must beautiful grips that I've ever seen. Heck they're probably one of the most beautiful things I've seen made of wood.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

WOW! :grin: A thing of beauty right there.

Return to “Camp's Corner”