S&W Model 642 or 638?

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

S&W Model 642 or 638?

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. It appears to me that the Model 642 is probably the most popular snub that Smith & Wesson has produced in recent years. I remember that before this version of their J-frame .38 Special was reborn, I routinely carried a Model 37 with the hammer spur removed as a back up gun when in police service. When these covered hammer snubs hit the market I purchased a Model 042 and eventually a few more...including a Model 638.

In the past on some other sites I've seen folks vigorously proclaiming the virtues of one over the other and in some cases, sadly, the discussion degenerated into a virtual shouting match...which is both rude and in my view, stupid.

Let's just take a brief unemotional look at these revolvers and see if any conclusions can be drawn.

Both the 642 and 638 are intended to be snag free and for pocket or concealed carry. Both of these have aluminum alloy frames with the barrel and cylinder of stainless steel. Some parts are of hardchromed steel such as the triggers. Both are the same size and have round butt grip profiles. Obviously the primary difference is that the "hammerless" 642 does not allow single-action shooting while the 638 does offer that option.

This photograph better shows the differences between the internally hammered Model 642 vs. the shrouded Model 638. It's interesting to note that an "add on" part to shroud the hammer against snagging was once made for the Colt snubs that competed against the Model 638, so it would appear that concerns over hammer spurs snagging on clothing has been both widespread and long term.

One gun writer wrote that he has never been able to get any version of the shrouded J-frame snub to shoot as tightly as the others. Perhaps, but that has not proven true in my own experiences with both. I cannot shoot one better than the other in double-action. It seems to me that smoothness of the individual revolver's double-action might well be the determining factor should a fellow see much difference in the performance of two similar snubs from the same maker.

With the Model 638 the hammer can be cocked for a light, single-action shot if desired. To some the idea of being able to make a more precise shot, perhaps at distance, is an option that they like having. Others suggest that such is not at all likely and that the single-action option leaves one open to suggestions during a civil suit that they cocked the revolver and then unintentionally and negligently shot the poor scum that was trying rape, rob, murder, (take your pick) them. I
suggest that the buyer/owner/shooter make his decision on which to get based on his own perceptions of what is important.

Lowering the hammer on the Model 638 is done with less thumb contact on the exposed portion of the hammer spur. I have never had a problem with it and I do not think that it invokes any major difficulties over lowering a non-shrouded hammer, but I don't think that it is quite as "sure" on the Model 638.

Some years ago I read that if carrying the Model 38 or any version of the shrouded snub to be sure and not have any loose change in your pocket or a dime could become wedged between the hammer spur and the frame and tie up the gun. Unless S&W has altered some dimensions on the hammer or frame, I found this to be impossible to do. A dime simply will not fit between the side of this revolver's hammer and frame. I guess a paperclip or an object of the right size might could do this, but a pocket holster goes a long way in preventing such. I also carry only the holstered revolver in my pocket and I'll bet most other folks using this method of carry do the same. I have found
the area behind the hammer on the 638 to be a "lint & crud magnet." Pocket carry is simply dirtier than most expect and after toting the Model 638 for ten days as I normally do my well-worn Model 642, I was surprised at the amount of crud that it had picked up. At the same time, the gun worked fine and the trigger pull was not affected.

For me, the Model 642 is the favorite.

The primary reason is the lack of another opening for grit and lint to build up. That is my "primary reason", but it is not much of one if we simply clean and maintain our personal carry guns at least once every week or so. Being an old revolver guy for years, I shoot primarily double-action with most six and five-guns and do not find the single-action capability on a revolver of this size to be that much of an advantage. (I definitely do prefer having a single-action option on K, L, and N-frames.)

In the end I simply cannot find much difference between these revolvers in practical terms. One may have a bit of an advantage in some aspects while the other offers what
might be a plus for some people.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and is subjective, but I find the 642 more pleasing to the eye. Some will agree. Some will not and others won't care one way or the other, but it is my opinion that either of these little guns will serve about as well as the other and that the potential buyer/user should go with the one he/she prefers.

I just don't see much difference between these two revolvers and were I in the market for such a snub, I'd probably go with the one having the best price or action.

Best.

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: ""lint & crud magnet." Could not agree with ya more on that one. Having way more J-frames than I "needed", I sold my fairly-new 638 to a TFLer in Houston a few years ago.

As to the "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" thing, he still bought it after I told him about my lint scares and the fact that, to me, it was about as "pretty" as a pregnant tadpole.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. "Pregnant tadpole!" Hahhahahahhaha! Thank you, sir. I nearly fell out of the chair laughing.

Best to you and yours.

PS: Your nickname is better than mine. I called it the "Hunchback."

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

Great write up! Very informative!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

John

Post by John »

Paladin wrote:Great write up! Very informative!
+1 excellent, thank you for the info on the the 642 and 638. What are your thoughts on the 642L? Is a laser on a small revolver of any use?
JohnC

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I have not tried one so I cannot comment on it. It's been years since I fired a laser-equipped firearm and it was a shoulder gun.

Best.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Wow! Great write up.

I'm looking at a Taurus 85. I can't wait to have a subby!
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Question: "Is a laser on a small revolver of any use?"

In my not-so-humble opinion, yes, definitely. Even more so on the j-frames than some other pistols. At least the good ones by folks such as Crimson Trace.

But, that's a whole 'nuther thread and I don't wanna highjack this one. Ya might try a search here or such as http://www.thefriringline.com and/or http://www.thehighroad.org. Either will keep ya reading up up on 'em for a loooong time. If ya don't run out and buy one immediately.
;-)

Edited to add: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... laser+grip
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

John,

I use lasers on all my guns, both semi's and revolvers.

On J-Frames, I have the Crimson Trace laser grips on my wife's model 637 airweight, my son's model 640 centennial frame 357, and on my model 60 357. Also have the CT's on my L frame model 686+ 2.5 inch 357.

When instructing new shooters, a laser setup is great, especially for showing a shooter how their wrist is acting, how they are nervous, how they are jerking off rounds, etc. It is equally amazing to watch someone go from 'newbie' status with the laser dancing all around to being a steady, confident shooter with the laser moving only with recoil.

The CT grips on a laser are worth every penny, I use the rubber overmold grips instead of the polyurethane. Depending on the style of grip, the ones that have a rubber covering over the backstrap sure do help with the 'kick' of a snubby 357.

My son just completed the CHL course yesterday, using my Glock 23 with internal Lasermax. He did not use the laser during the range portion of the course, so he didn't even ask if the instructor would allow it or not. He did use it last week when I familiarized him with the Glock 23, putting 250 rounds through it in preparation for the course. He will be carrying a S&W J-frame Model 640 357 when he receives his license, but I insisted he take the course with a semi in case he wanted to change his choice of carry guns later on. Like I described above, when he started shooting the Glock during last week's practice session on the range, the laser was indeed 'dancing'. By the time he finished the first 150 rounds, that laser beam was as steady as a rock. I then has him shoot another 100 rounds without the laser.... still steady as a rock.

Plus, I have this theory, and I don't know if there is any validity to it or not....... but bad guys watch TV and the movies like anyone else. No one should automatically assume a bad guy is dumb. They know what that red dot on their chest means. If a situation develops and a BG happens to see a red dot on the center of his chest or in between his eyes, it just might get him to thinking........ if so, the cost of that set of laser grips would sure be worth every penny !

As far as the Crimson Trace goes, they are coming out with a new grip for the J-frames, sometime during mid May. The newer grip is not much bigger but it does have a rubber covered 'air pocket' that covers the backstrap. I am waiting for that release because it should help with the recoil kick greatly.... it does on the set I have on my 686.

Here is a link to see photos of the new J Frame Grips being developed by Crimson Trace:

http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index.php?topic=1129.0

John

Thanks

Post by John »

Thank you... This thread has been most informative.
JohnC

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Mr. Camp,
Is there any problem with a 642 of dirt, crud, lint getting inside the hammer area? Is there a removable side plate you can take off to clean and lube that area?
I pocket carry a stainless steel Charter Arms undercover for a snake gun around the homestead. It gets full of crud from the great outdoors especially after a day on the rideon mower when it's dry!

Thanks for the writeup, the photos were very good!

Regards, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I have had no problems with debris getting inside the 642 at all. I routinely clean the barrel, behind the trigger, etc.

Best.

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

For anyone who is concerned about lint getting into the sction of a revolver, here's some food for thought. The only time i have seen enough crud get into a revolver to change it's handling, i was being stupid. I was carrying openly (not in TX), riding a motorcycle, and was run off the road. Well, i ended up laying the bike down in a huge mudhole on what would have been the shoulder, at about 65mph. The mod provided a soft landing, but got everywhere in the process. I checked the gun for function, and it worked fine, but was very gritty. A good cleaning and it is good as new--not so much as a scratch from that incident. I'm not saying dont clean em, do by all means, but mine had an external hammer and was functional even when there was so much mud on it that it barely looked like a gun at all. I keep them clean, and take care of them, but i dont worry about if a little lint has gotten anyplace between cleanings either. Hope that gives some people some peace of mind.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

Topic author

Post by Guest »

As the proud owner of Greybeard's pregnant tadpole - all I can say is I must wash my pants more often than him because the only lint in my 638 was left by the previous owner :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have considered the scandium hammerless just for fun, but it is hard to justify when the 638 spits out anything that I can fit in it and my thumb can tolerate.

I do like the ability to ear that hammer back for a SA shot every now and again.

stephen_g22

Post by stephen_g22 »

Odd, I made the above post and it listed me as Guest
Anonymous wrote:As the proud owner of Greybeard's pregnant tadpole - all I can say is I must wash my pants more often than him because the only lint in my 638 was left by the previous owner :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have considered the scandium hammerless just for fun, but it is hard to justify when the 638 spits out anything that I can fit in it and my thumb can tolerate.

I do like the ability to ear that hammer back for a SA shot every now and again.

Return to “Camp's Corner”