I'll be Taking a Look at Corbon .45 Auto Rim DPX...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

I'll be Taking a Look at Corbon .45 Auto Rim DPX...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

...in the very near future.

This standard pressure load looks like it might be just the thing for folks with the snub .45 ACP revolvers. We'll see.

Corbon lists this at 1050 ft/sec nominal velocity.

I have only one .45 ACP revolver and it has a 5" bbl, but we'll see what shakes out over the chronograph, how it groups and in relation to 230 or heavier bullets, and of course, expands.

Best.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kalrog »

I have mainly heard good things about their 180gr loads in .45ACP version for shorter barrell guns (think 3.5" or so). Good expansion at the lower velocity than it would be out of a 5" barrel. Not sure how the AutoRim compares to the ACP though.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I am guessing that it is going to be a rimmed version of their "Compact Gun Load," which is available in the same weight in .45 ACP. If interested, here's a look at how it worked:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corb ... %20DPX.htm

Best.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Stephen A. Camp wrote:I am guessing that it is going to be a rimmed version of their "Compact Gun Load,"
That would be my guess as well. I have to ask though - why the 160gr version instead of the slightly heavier one (180? 185?)?

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I suspect it was done that way to avoid +P ratings.

Best.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Stephen A. Camp wrote:I suspect it was done that way to avoid +P ratings.
I think I need to clarify the question. Why did you decide to test/use the 160gr version instead of teh 185gr version? It is my understanding that both of those are "standard" pressure rounds. This is one of the loads that I am considering getting for my new CCW 1911 and am leaning towards the 185gr version. Hence my question about why you picked the 160gr version. Or is there only a 160gr version in the AutoRim? Which would beg the same question of CorBon...

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. The 185-gr. DPX is a +P load in .45 ACP. The "Compact Gun Load" is a 160-gr. DPX bullet loaded to standard pressures in the same caliber.

The reason I chose to do the 160-gr. standard pressure DPX load in .45 Auto RIM is because it is the only such load Corbon offers in that caliber.

Here is what I found with the 185-gr. DPX .45 ACP load:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corb ... %20ACP.htm

Best.

Return to “Camp's Corner”