Informal Tests: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Sigp23940
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Informal Tests: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Post by Sigp23940 »

I just bought one box of this ammo in 9mm from the Academy in Round Rock. They only had 2 boxes, i plan on using this in my MK9( well once the gun store gets it for me). I wish I would have bought both boxes but cash is an issue atm since its xmas. Anyway since I havent gotten to shoot it with the MK9 yet cant comment on how well it feeds. But since I only have one box I plan on just a couple of clips just to make sure it feeds once I do at least 200 fmj rounds thru the new gun. Hopefully Ill get my plastic tomorrow, then a follow up call from the gun shop would make it perfect! :fire
10/17/09 CHL class
10/19/09 Dropped papers off at the Austin DPS office.
10/20/09 Check cleared bank.
10/28/09 Received pin number.
12/09/09 Sent to the printers!
12/12/09 Application Complete - License Active
12/16/09 Plastic in hand.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Got some . The .380 cycles fine in my LCP. But then again , everyting has cycled fine in my LCP. :fire
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have been carrying these in my LCP, but just ordered several boxes for my 9mm. I like the round and I appreciate the great review.

Mastodon

Post by Mastodon »

Thanks for the review. This is the cartridge I carry in my RAMI.
Chartered By The Republic of Texas in 1845

NRA
TSRA

Μολών Λαβέ

A-R

Post by A-R »

Just saw Hornady Critical Defense in .40 S&W for first time at the Austin gun show last weekend. Didn't buy any as they vendor was asking nearly $2 per round for the stuff ($38 for a 20-round box).

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Very helpful review, I plan on carrying Critical Defense in my LCP if it ever get off back order :roll:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Engaging in a little thread necromancy here...

...I just got home with a new .357 snubbie, and I bought a box of these in .357 magnum, and I'm anxious to try a few rounds. The pistol is a S&W M&P 340 PD Airlite. It should be an "entertaining" combination.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Engaging in a little thread necromancy here...

...I just got home with a new .357 snubbie, and I bought a box of these in .357 magnum, and I'm anxious to try a few rounds. The pistol is a S&W M&P 340 PD Airlite. It should be an "entertaining" combination.
That's a great gun.

Be prepared for some pretty snappy recoil.

Most of the folks I know who've tried this combination (I haven't) have called the firing experience "painful". They usually end up carrying .38 Spcl ammo for SD purposes.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your take on this.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Excaliber wrote:That's a great gun.

Be prepared for some pretty snappy recoil.

Most of the folks I know who've tried this combination (I haven't) have called the firing experience "painful". They usually end up carrying .38 Spcl ammo for SD purposes.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your take on this.
Yeah, it's going to be interesting. I've had a couple of friends who own or have fired this combination with magnum loads who've described it as "stinging" their hand when they shot it, so I'm expecting at least that. I don't expect it to be light and easy shooting. Even my old 642 was punishing to shoot with 158 grain loads. But with 125 grain +P Golden Sabers, it was actually fairly easy to shoot. I could shoot those all day, if I could afford them. So it depends on how much more dramatic a 125 grain .357 magnum load will be than a 125 grain +P .38 Special load.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

I reviewed the gun HERE.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Camp's Corner”