38 Snub Ammo Test: Corbon vs Speer vs Remington...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

38 Snub Ammo Test: Corbon vs Speer vs Remington...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I was able to do some informal tests comparing the "old technology" 158-gr. LSWCHP +P to Corbon's 110-gr. DPX +P as well as Speer's 135-gr. GDHP +P.

Accuracy testing was done at 10 yards. All firing was done with my usual "24/7 gun", a well-used S&W Model 642.

The worst group shot was with Remington's 158-gr. LSWCHP +P. The fact that it was the worst could also be because it was first! Frankly, all three loads grouped very well and I believe that at this range they were all probably capable of much, much tighter groups than I shot.

The best group of the day was fired with Speer's 135-gr. GDHP +P.

Average velocities were based on 10 shots fired 10' from the chronograph screens. Here are the results:

Corbon 110-gr. DPX +P: 1164 ft/sec

Speer 135-gr. GDHP +P: 921 ft/sec

Rem 158-gr. LSWCHP +P: 844 ft/sec

Fired into super-saturated newsprint which had soaked for 24 hours and been drained 30 minutes before shooting, the following penetration depths were recorded. Each is the average penetration based on 5 shots.

Corbon 110-gr. DPX +P: 8"

Speer 135-gr. GDHP +P: 7 1/2"

Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P: 8 1/2"

All expanded consistently and there was very little difference in penetration depths shot-to-shot with each load.

For those interested in a more detailed report, follow the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38%2 ... 20Test.htm

Best.

JLaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JLaw »

:eek6

I can only dream of shooting that well with my 642! Good job, sir. That inspires me to go practice more. Is your usual carry load in the 642 the FBI load?

JLaw

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Great test!

Was the Speer the ammo that is specifically designed for short bbl revolvers?
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello and thank you very much.

JLaw: Yes, my usual carry load has been the Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P.

Lumberjack98:Yes, Speer developed the 135-gr. load for short barrels. I am not sure if the very same bullet is used in their short barrel 357 load, but it too weighs 135-grs. The .38 load does about 900 ft/sec and reportedly the 357 load does about 100 ft/sec more. This is another mid-range load like Corbon's 125-gr. DPX and Remington's 125-gr. Golden Saber.

Best.

Return to “Camp's Corner”