First Shots: S&W Model 625-6 w/3" Bbl...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

First Shots: S&W Model 625-6 w/3" Bbl...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. At the last gun show, I came across a like new S&W 3" Model 625 chambered for .45 ACP and Auto Rim. Finally, I got a little unexpected free time and wagged it and several different loads in ACP and AR to the range.

I've owned a Model 625 5" Model of 1989 since I bought it new and wondered how this later incantation of the gun would perform.

This like new Model 625-6 was used for the range evaluation. I slapped on a pair of Eagle Secret Service grips and used them on the revolver during this shooting session. They will stay right where they are.

Cutting to the chase, there were no malfunctions of any kind and the revolver grouped very nicely with all of the ammo that I had available.

The 15 yard targets were fired while I was seated and with my wrists braced using sandbags. At 15 yards, I fired slow-fire and in single-action.

This 12-shot group was fired using a 255-gr. CSWC handload. (I mistakenly wrote "250-gr" on the target that is pictured.) None of the groups fired at 15 yards were larger than this one.

I only fired on "practical" type target using the same 255-gr. handload. It was done at 7 yards, standing, two-handed and in double-action with each shot fired as quickly as I could obtain a sight picture.

The Model 625 handled plenty well in double-action. The 3" gun surprised me in that it had considerably more muzzle flip than my 5" version.

I also chronographed several loads from this revolver. Average velocities are based on 10 shots fired 10' from the muzzle.

Model 625-6 3" Average Velocities (ft/sec):

.45 Auto Rim:

Corbon 160-gr. DPX: 1052

200-gr. Sierra Competition JFN: 707
4.2-gr. Bullseye
WLP Primer
R-P Cases

200-gr. Speer JHP: 858
7.2-gr. Unique
WLP Primer
R-P Cases

Corbon 230-gr. FMJ: 801

255-gr. Kead CSWC: 810
6.0-gr. Unique
WLP Primer
R-P Cases

.45 ACP w/Moon Clips:

Corbon 185-gr. DPX +P: 972

Winchester USA 230-gr. FMJ: 797

Winchester Ranger 230-gr. JHP: 843

Federal 230-gr. HST +P: 921

There were no malfunctions of any kind and no shooting was done beyond 15 yards. It was just too hot and I didn't have much time.

In short, I am more pleased with this revolver than I initially expected and will be hanging on to it.

For those interested in a more detailed report:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/S&W% ... uation.htm

Best.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Shots: S&W Model 625-6 w/3" Bbl...

Post by KBCraig »

Stephen A. Camp wrote:Hello. At the last gun show, I came across a like new S&W 3" Model 625 chambered for .45 ACP and Auto Rim.
I'm ignorant about .45 ACP revolvers, but the way you worded this made me curious: are there any revolvers chambered for .45 ACP that would not also accept Auto Rim?

I know there are a few 9mm revolvers out there. I wonder if you could make "9mm Auto Rim" out of .38 Special cases. Hmmmm...

:grin:

Kevin

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I'm not sure on which .45 ACP revolvers will or won't use auto rim. I've heard that Taurus revolvers will not, but I 've not tried one first-hand and there really are not all that many of them. I'm familiar only with the S&W's.

A few years ago Federal offered a rimmed 9x19mm for revolver use and called 9mm Federal...if memory serves.

Best.

Tom
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tom »

KBCraig wrote: I know there are a few 9mm revolvers out there. I wonder if you could make "9mm Auto Rim" out of .38 Special cases. Hmmmm...
Stephen A. Camp wrote:Hello. A few years ago Federal offered a rimmed 9x19mm for revolver use and called 9mm Federal...if memory serves.

Best.
Stephen/Kevin,

Check out:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... .php?t=994

The 9mm Federal lasted from 1989-1992. Very short lifespan.
I use new, Starline 38 S&W (not 38 Special) cases to more of less
replicate the 9mm Federal case. Works out pretty well. The rim
diameter is a slight bit shorter on the 38S&W than the 9mm Federal.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Return to “Camp's Corner”