First Shots: STI Legacy...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

First Shots: STI Legacy...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Since we had a "cold front" the last couple of days (less than 100 degrees), I couldn't stand it any longer and slipped out to the range to fire my new STI Legacy. I witnessed Chris @ STI shoot it, but I hadn't shot it.

I didn't have much time and will chronograph it later and shoot at different distances. At this time of the evening, the shade was not present beyond about 15 yards so that's where I shot.

Ammunition Used:

Federal 230-gr. Classic JHP: 16 rounds
Winchester 230-gr. Ranger: 50 rounds
UMC 230-gr. FMJ: 50 rounds
Remington 230-gr. Golden Saber/6.3-gr. Unique: 24 rounds
200-gr. Precision CSWC/5.0-gr. Bullseye: 50 rounds
Federal 185-gr. Classic JHP: 24 rounds

I think that totals 214 shots. At STI, Chris had fired a bit under 50 shots so let's approximate and say that the gun's had about 250 shots through it.

I also used the following magazines:

ACT 8-shot, which came with the gun
ACT 8-shot w/Tripp follower & spring*
Wilson 8-shot w/Tripp follower & spring*
McCormick PowerMag 8-shot
Colt 7-shot magazine
(*When using the Tripp follower, 8-shot magazines other than his become 7-shot mags. When used in a standard 7-shot magazine, no capacity is lost.)

This particular pistol showed no preference for one magazine over another and all dropped free when the magazine release was depressed.

Cutting to the chase:

No failures to feed
No failures to extract/eject
No dented cases
Magazines easy to insert when fully loaded
No premature slide lock and no failures of the slide to lock back when the last round was fired with any of the magazines used.

I was most surprised that I didn't find it necessary to move the adjustable rear sight any at all! It was dead-bang "on" but I'll check it on a couple of more sessions just like I do with fixed sights before declaring them "on" or making any adjustments.

This group was fired with the 200-gr. Precision CSWC over 5.0-gr. Bullseye.

Federal's 185-gr. JHP fed fine and grouped nicely.

Winchester's 230-gr. Ranger once again proved itself an accurate defense round. It fed just fine.

Shooting from an improvised rest, I was able to get satisfactory groups at 15 yards, but have no doubt whatsoever that the pistol is capable of much better than I was able to deliver.

This was not a torture test nor really much of a test at all, just some quick shots from a new gun...but I absolutely believe that this pistol is capable of very fine accuracy and I am becoming convinced that the same can be said for reliability with a number of bullet profiles.

Time will tell, but results are positive and encouraging.

When I get some projects that are stacking up done, I will visit the STI Legacy in a more detailed fashion.

Best.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Gorgeous pistol. I'd love to have one, but they're a bit pricey for me.

Wait... you don't actually need both kidneys, do you? Hmmmm.... :headscratch

:grin:

Kevin

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. On another board, a gentleman suggested a comparison article concerning the STI Legacy vs. the STI Trojan in .45 ACP. If interested, it is here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Comp ... Legacy.htm

Today I was able to put another 400 rounds of various types of ammunition through the Legacy.

Zero malfunctions

Slide locked back on last shot and not before with several different magazines

Trigger pull has not changed

Adjustable rear sight has not moved from zeroed position

No wear on the chamber area of barrel from movement of slide

I am to the point that I pretty much trust this pistol for "serious purposes" were such required.

Best.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

Mr. Camp,
Once again, beautiful pistol and beautiful shooting.
Carl :fire

Return to “Camp's Corner”