A Small Hi Power Project...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

A Small Hi Power Project...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. A couple of days ago, a friend advised me that a local fellow was wanting to sell a "target Hi Power" at a good price and that it was "practically new". I asked if he meant a Competition Model and described it but what it turned out to be was a 1980 Hi Power with adjustable sights, the old round "tin can" looking ones. It came with two holsters and three 13-shot magazines and had the classic checkered walnut grips. The "good price" was not so good as if it has been for a Competition Model, but still wasn't bad so I took a look at the gun.

It wasn't pristine as had initially been described, but it was in very good shape with but a tiny ding here and there but no rust visible anywhere on the bright blue frame or slide.

The pistol had been shot very little and cleaned even less.

I am not a fan of the old factory adjustable sights. In fact, those sights and their inability to hold zero for more than a couple of hundred shots led to my first custom Hi Power.

Still, it was a nice gun at a fair price so I bought it.

I pulled a like-new Mk III slide I happened to have (It had been matte blued but otherwise was stock.), and it fit the older frame very nicely. The bbl that came with the gun and bears the same serial number fit the Mk III slide quite well. Putting it into the slide and then pushing forward on the bbl and then rearward from the muzzle showed no movement that I could feel and the bbl's lugs were fully engaging the recesses in the slide. Checking this with a Blue Marks-a-lot confirmed what I already knew.

With the Hi Power assembled, the is no movement in the bbl-to-slide fit.

The bbl's feed ramp is the old humped version and if it causes any feeding problems, I'll alter it.

I stuck in a Wolff conventional 18.5-lb recoil spring, and knocked out the magazine disconnect. This improved the trigger a bit but not as much as I'd hoped for or experienced on other Hi Powers. I'd estimate this pistol's trigger pull at a clean but heavy 9 or 10-lbs.

Taking a few extra bbls I'd checked for fit in the gun, I grabbed some ammunition and slipped out to the range.

It was quite windy today and the longest distance I shot was 25 yards and did that while seated with my wrists braced. Did the same thing at 15 yards.

I did not bob the hammer spur as is my custom so I did get "bit" a tiny bit today, but I didn't want to alter the hammer if I wasn't going to keep the gun. The magazine "safety" can go right back in, but I cannot make the hammer spur grow so I'd held off.

Here's a picture of the Hi Power with the Mk III slide/bbl assembly in place. When this picture was taken, the magazine disconnect had not yet been removed.

At 15 yards, I blew 2 shots but only called the worst one. With the wind, the light hammer bite, and the heavy trigger, this was just about the best I could do. Others could no doubt do much better. The handload that was shot is not particularly accurate, but will usually do about 2 to 2 1/2" at this distance. I was shooting up the last of this mid-1100 ft/sec load.

At 25-yds, group size increased a bit and I still dropped one shot in the 9-ring. It was a called shot but not marked. The ammo used was Federal 124-gr. FMJ.

This Hi Power has the standard 32-lb mainspring and was used with the Wolff 18.5-lb recoil spring. These two standard pressure pressure loads worked fine although the handload didn't have quite enough "oomph" to lock the slide back once. The Federal ball as well as 115-gr. Fiocchi FMJ worked fine in all aspects as did a 124-gr. cast truncated cone handload, also over 6.9-gr. Blue Dot.

I am satisfied that the factory fixed sights are "on" so it looks like I'll be bobbing the hammer spur on this one. I think it is capable of much better grouping, but I'll need to work on the trigger pull to find that out for sure.

One of my other Mk III's has a bright blue slide with a matte frame. This one is just the opposite: bright blue frame and matte slide. For now, I'll leave the small factory single-sided safety in place as this one is a spare. When I get the trigger pull where it needs to be, I will take a look at fitting a slightly extended single-side thumb safety to the gun.

The way that bbls made during quite a span of years fit the Mk III slide and 1980 frame speaks pretty highly of FN's manufacturing in my opinion. Everything fit and only one bbl showed even a trace of "looseness" in the slide.

So, nothing real special, but sort of a neat way to get another Mk III and get to piddle around now and again to get where I hope to with this gun.

Besides, I just find it a heck of a lot of fun to shoot and mess around with Hi Powers.

Best.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Mr. Camp,
Now my fever for a High Power is getting worse. ;-)

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I understand. I caught it 35 years ago and it just doesn't go into remission.

Best.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I still have your advice in my memory and I am still looking for the right deal. It sounds like you found a good one here.

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I'll keep my eyes open and if I find another, I'll holler at you here via PM.

Best.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Stephen A. Camp wrote:Hello. I'll keep my eyes open and if I find another, I'll holler at you here via PM.

Best.
That sounds wonderful. Right after I corresponded with you I missed what I thought was a good deal and later found out the gun was not in good shape. I will wait my turn.

RodL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RodL »

Dear Mr. Camp,
40 years ago I happened to be in a gun shop in Eugene, Oregon and spotted a used BHP for sale (wow, 40 years went fast). It was made in Belgium with serial #1147XX and was in pretty near new condition. I bought it and to the best of my recollection paid less than $100.00 for it. It is a standard model with fixed sights. Over the years I have used it as a sidearm on fishing trips into the High Sierra Nevada Mountains, a personal and business defence weapon, and a great plinking pistol with dozens of dead ground squirrels and rattlesnakes to it's credit.

I have never liked the magazine safety and want to remove it, and would like to update it a bit without taking away from it's intrinsic value from the historical perspective. I have found a couple of "how to" instructions online for the magazine safety removal, but those articles don't include detailed pictures or diagrams, and I am fearful of messing up the gun. Can you direct me to a comprehensive description of the procedure? You seem to be so experienced at it that it is almost an afterthought for you. By the way, your web pages dedicated to the Hi Power are a terrific resource.

Do you know of a competent pistolsmith in the Fort Worth area for trigger work or other customization on the BHP? I really prefer not send the gun off for work.

Thanks,
Rod L
Colleyville, TX

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I'd contact Williamson Precision Gunsmithing on Pipeline Road in Hurst, TX. Speak to Lou or Scott Williamson. They can do the trigger work you request and are just up the road from you.

Here is a link for magazine disconnect removal:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133740

On the older Hi Powers, the magazine disconnect can often be removed without having to remove the whole trigger assembly. You might try removing the small pin visible on the side of the trigger to the rear. (Have the slide and magazine out of the gun so that you can see.) The disconnect plunger and spring will probably pop out of the rear of the trigger into the magazine well if you wiggle the lifter. Sometimes you will have to shake out the spring and sometimes not. If this doesn't do it, then the trigger assembly will have to be removed before it can be done.

Best.

RodL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RodL »

Thank you very much. The link is very helpfull. I can see the pin in the trigger on my older BHP so it looks at though I may get the easy fix.

Thanks for the gunsmith recommendation also. I am needing to have a rifle re-barreled, I'll chat with them about that too.

Return to “Camp's Corner”