Shooting a Revolver Again was Great Fun...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Shooting a Revolver Again was Great Fun...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Of late I've been shooting quite a few semiautos of late for ammo testing, giving shooting lessons, friendly competition, and checking out a 1911 "built" at home.

Yesterday, a good friend and I went shooting and when I went to the safe I automatically was reaching into the bin of 1911's when I spied a little gem I'd not shot in a few weeks.

Nothing fancy a tall, it is just a clean used S&W Model 64 3" that I bought right at a gunshow last year.

Shown here with my Model 638, the M64 has had little done to it. I cleaned up the action very, very little and stuck on a pair of Pachmayr rubber grips. They're not the prettiest in the world, but I do find them extremely comfortable on this revolver.

Anyway it was pleasant not to have to pick up cases other than when practicing the "practical" stuff and shooting double-action always brings back memories from early police revolver shooting.

Though I'm not wedded to semiautos, they are what I shoot most of the time but it seems like each and every single time I shoot a revolver that I wonder why I don't spend at least equal time with them.

This little thing showed itself no slouch on paper, falling plates, or popping cans at about 50 yards.

Even if you are an "automatic man," I respectfully suggest that if you own a good revolver that is being "neglected," don't! Considered "obsolete" by some, they remain really fun shooters and I personally wouldn't be afraid to have one as a primary handgun in a fight.

Best.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I am absolutely a "1911 guy," but I love shooting revolvers. I just bought an S&W 586, because DHart on 1911forum.com was driving me nuts with his photos and bragging about his 586's. I also bought two S&W Mod. 19's with 2 1/2" barrels; one in blue and one nickle. A pristine nickle S&W Mod. 57 rounded out the most recent revolver purchases, but I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet. DHart also has me looking for a 3" S&W Mod. 13 and I have to say your Mod. 64 has me wanting one of those as well.

This is actually a great time to buy revolvers. With most folks buying semi-autos by a huge margin over revolvers, you can actually find some good buys on excellent revolvers.

I'll always carry a 1911 and 90% of the rounds I fire will come from autos. But, you're absolutely right, revolvers a still one heck of a lot of fun!

Regards,
Chas.

Chris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chris »

i carry a 1911 as a primary duty gun, but hidden away on my vest is a smith 640-1 in .357 magnum. apparently i'm the only one in the department with any sense. everyone else carries goofy pocket-sized autos. at qualification, they're all scared to shoot it. it's got some kick to it.

i also own a nickel plated smith model 1905 made in 1923. for being 82 years old, it's a good shooter; it kept my great grandfather safe.

Topic author
SRVA

Post by SRVA »

If anyone in the Houston area is interested, we have been holding a revolver only match at Thunder Gun Range near Conroe on the 4th Sunday of every month. Match is run under ICORE rules and it is a great opportunity to get the wheel gun out and blow the dust off it.

tex45acp

Yes...shooting a revolver is a hoot!!!

Post by tex45acp »

Not only do I like to shoot my revolvers, I actually hunt with a couple of them. My favorite is my Stainless 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk in .41mag. I handload for this gun and with the 2X Leuopold scope it is a tack driver out to 100 yards. This is my favorite whitetail gun. I also have a Stainless 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk in .357mag that I hunt with. This gun was used to take a book Fallow at 85 yards.

I have several other revolvers that I shoot for fun and recreation. Yes revolvers are fun, they are also just as deadly as the semi-autos I carry concealed.
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

KBCraig
Banned

Re: Shooting a Revolver Again was Great Fun...

Post by KBCraig »

Stephen A. Camp wrote:Anyway it was pleasant not to have to pick up cases other than when practicing the "practical" stuff . . .
Even when shooting practical stuff, my buddy pointed out that his revolver grouped brass way better than my auto. :wink:

Kevin

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hahahahaha! Man, that is very true, isn't it?

Best.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I just bought a K-38 Masterpiece that is single action only with a six inch bbl. I took it out and shot it at 10 yards from a rest w/ 148 gr wadcutters and six rounds were covered by a 50 cent piece, four were covered by a quarter.

I called the guy back and told him I wanted to buy the K-22 he had as well. I also bought a 5 screw Ruger Blackhawk in .357 from the same guy, but have not shot it yet.

For shooting fun, it is hard to beat a revolver.

If anyone has a S&W 58 for a good price, let me know.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Chris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chris »

i was at the range today. amongst the "pop, pop" from the semi-autos that could be heard, there was the sporadic "BOOM! BOOM!" from the magnums that a guy down on the end and i were touching off. if i couldn't hit a bad guy, i'd sure set him on fire or blow him to bits from the blast. every shot was knocking all my stuff off the table onto the ground in front of me. 8)

Return to “Camp's Corner”