BUG: .380 ACP or .38 Special?

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

BUG: .380 ACP or .38 Special?

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. A common topic is which of the two is the best. I've made it no secret that between .380, 9x18mm Mak, and .38 Special, I prefer the latter for "serious" purposes.

Which do you prefer and why?

Between the snub and the .380 auto, which would you prefer as a BUG?

Thanks in advance.

Best.

Jim101
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim101 »

It's really time of year for me.........The 380 is a good summer carry here in Texasa, Bersa for me, with +P's The 9mm is my winter carry....BTW your article on the Bersa 380 is why I bought one.......

Jim
NRA, TSRA

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello and thank you. I think the Bersa's are darned good little guns for the money...at least the ones I've seen and/or shot.

Best.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

As to which is best, I guess that all comes down to personal prefrence. I prefer the snub as well. Now, to be fair I cannot base this on any first hand experience with the .380 and I've only shot the 9x18 mak on 2 occasions. I didn't find the makarov enjoyable to shoot either time.

Chris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chris »

Jim101 wrote:It's really time of year for me.........The 380 is a good summer carry here in Texasa,
i carry a full-size 1911 and a beretta 92FS in a t-shirt and shorts. i also have a .357 magnum 640 that i can hide, but i usually carry it in my pocket, but i like my pockets free for my hands to hang out in. 8)

why compromise?

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I usually carry a full size 1911, also, but my BUG may be an XD9, which can also be my primary, or my wife's PPKS .380, or my .32NAA Guardian.

I have shot a couple of IDPA BUG matches with the Guardian and I like it a lot more than my wife's .380. I may have lost the XD9 to my wife after she fired her perfect score on the CHL requal with it, so I am stuck with either carrying two 1911s, one as a BUG, or the NAA.

Sometimes, rarely though, I carry my BUG as a primary, but I am not real comfortable that way.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

Between the three calibers, I'd go with the .38. The Mak is a great option too, especially for the money. Size to weight, and total package considered however, I would have to give the nod to my Kahr PM9. Smaller, lighter, more compact than the Bersa, yet chambered for 9mm Parabellum. 6+1 for pocket carry, 7+1 IWB or Thunderwear, using the extended magazine. My PM9 is a lot more comfortable for me to shoot than any of the Airweight J-frames.

Although I have not shot the Bersa, it seems that nowdays Kahr and Rohrbaugh have nearly rendered the .380 obsolete for carry, IMHO.
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I like both, at this time I do not have a .38 but i do have a Kel tec P3AT that rides in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. The gun is small, light, and easy to carry. It is a great "get off me!" gun.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

Between the two choices, for me it's easy, .38 snubby. I have one. I don't own any .380 acp's or 9x18's.
:D
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

jimlongley wrote:PPKS .380
How do you like this guns performance? I used to shoot my dad's growing up alot (big james bond fan) and though it looked cool it would jam alot. Part of that was limp wrist because of my youth, but it does it for him too.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Of the 3 I prefer the .38. However, my Beretta .380 carries 13 rounds. interesting question..................

I carry a full sized 1911 even in the scorching Texas Summers though.

I had a PPK, but traded it because it alwaysbit the web of my shooting hand. :?

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I would think the simplicity and reliability of a snub-nosed .38 would be the better choice for a BUG...

Think about why and when you would actually have to use it...

Do you want a firearm you may have to "think" about how to use it???

Or do you at that point want something you can just point and shoot...Pardon the pun...

I would also say that the Bersa is a fine firearm for its size and caliber...And you can certainly stop something with one...

My philosophy is simple..."If it works, and it works for you, work it..."
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

gigag04 wrote:
jimlongley wrote:PPKS .380
How do you like this guns performance? I used to shoot my dad's growing up alot (big james bond fan) and though it looked cool it would jam alot. Part of that was limp wrist because of my youth, but it does it for him too.
It's my wife's gun and she likes it just fine. That said, I talked her into using my XD9 for her CHL requal, mostly because of the BIGGER sights, and she really loved the XD9.

I don't like the PPKS much because it just fits my hand wrong and hurts when I shoot it. My .32NAA Guardian is smaller than the PPKS but it fits my hand better and is mre comfortable to shoot.

Never seen a jam on the PPKS unless it was limp wrist.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I prefer the revolver for BUG duty - so that naturally leads me to the .38Spc as the BUG caliber. Although I wouldn't feel bad with any of the listed rounds.

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I use both, a 380 or 38, like my primary depending how I'm dressed and where I'm going, my favorite bug has to be a nickel mod. 19 S&W 2 1/2 in a Bianchi up-sidedown shoulder rig.
Maybe this comment should be on different post, but since the PPK was mentioned, when I see one come on the range I expect it to jam, and have more confidence in the Bersa. ( PPK copy )
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Return to “Camp's Corner”