Ruger GP100 Continues to Prove Itself a Very Good Revolver..

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Ruger GP100 Continues to Prove Itself a Very Good Revolver..

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. A while back I took a hard look at the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver. At that time I was looking for a NIB or like new S&W
3" Model 13 or 65 but couldn't find one except either in poor shape or at way too high a price.

For those interested, the original article is here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Rang ... 0GP100.htm

A good friend mentioned a sale on 3" short shroud GP100's. He advised that he'd had good luck with them so I bought one.

Since writing the initial review, I have shot this gun on more than a few range trips with either handloaded or factory 357's, usually using bullets in the 145 to 158-gr. range.

The last time I shot the gun was a week or so back. Nothing was done on paper, just steel targets and plates. I fired just over 200 rnds of S&B 158-gr. JFP ammunition. As has been the case on every other outting with this gun, there were zero problems. I have not yet shot the S&B on paper so I don't know how well it does or doesn't group but at distances out to about 20 or 25 yards, it was no problem smacking the plates and such double-action.

I cannot speak to all Ruger revolvers as I own but two,the GP100 being discussed and a 3 1/16" SP101, but the trigger on the GP has smoothed up very nicely...VERY nicely. It was surprisingly good out of the box but it is slicker than a gut as this is written.

To me, this revolver doesn't have the classic "revolver look" that only an S&W has, but neither do I find it "ugly" as some have suggested. I definitely have found it reliable as homemade sin and am most happy with the smoothed trigger pull. I even like the factory grips and have no intention of changing them.

I would estimate that roughly 1600 rounds have been fired through the gun and it sometimes accompanies me on work days at a friend's ranch...but it also serves as an always loaded house gun as well.

If I could get Ruger to stop with all the lettering on the bbl AND offer this style revolver in .44 Special, rest assured that I would. I think a 5-shot .44 Special GP100 would sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

I know at least one would...and probably two!

I still enjoy and like the older (read that pre-lock) S&W revolvers but have also gained quite a bit of respect for the Ruger revolvers I've tried as well.

These are the only two Ruger revolvers that I own. Both have proven themselves utterly reliable and worthy of serious consideration for folks wanting tough revolvers that seem to just keep on doing what they do. I would trust either of these for "serious" purposes.

Best.

maximus2161
Posts in topic: 1

Post by maximus2161 »

nice review!

Yea I agree with you on the lettering all over the bbl. Thats just ridiculous. I had a 4 inch GP100 but I like the shorter bbl. I may have to look into getting one.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

maximus2161 wrote:nice review!

Yea I agree with you on the lettering all over the bbl. Thats just ridiculous. I had a 4 inch GP100 but I like the shorter bbl. I may have to look into getting one.
Agree w/ all of the above. I am one of those that "gave too much" for a used Ruger GP100. You can bu them for usually around $300.00 I have heard of them selling for $250.00 but need to know the condition. I recently gave $375.00 for mine w/ gun rug & nearly a box of .357 FMJ.
Thing is I had been looking for over a yr.
They are as good as Steven reviews them & if you want a quality hefty revolver they cant be beat.
Now I want one o the SP100s to shoulder carry.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “Camp's Corner”