Corbon 45 ACP DPX "Compact Gun Load"...

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Corbon 45 ACP DPX "Compact Gun Load"...

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. I recently got my mitts on some of Corbon's new "Compact Gun Load" in .45 ACP. This standard pressure load uses the Barnes X-bullet as do the company's other calibers in the DPX line.

I did not concentrate on informal expansion testing. Others with access to ballistic gelatin are doing so, but when fired into water from a Colt Defender having a 3" barrel, bullets expanded without fail and looked almost like identical twins. This bullet normally penetrates between about 12 and 13" in 10% ballistic gelatin. Weight-loss is practically nonexistant.

This is Corbon's 160-gr. "Compact Gun Load" and an expanded bullet that was fired into water from a Colt Defender. Dimensions are 0.81 x 0.79 x 0.67" tall.

Even though this round is designed with the compacts in mind, I also fired it from a Commander and a Dan Wesson Patriot with barrels measuring 4.25 and 5", respectively.

Based on 10 shots fired approx. 10' from the chronograph, the following average velocities were obtained:

Colt Defender w/3" bbl:
1082 ft/sec

Colt Commander/4.25" bbl:
1178 ft/sec

DW Patriot w/5" bbl:
1217 ft/sec

Accuracy was very satisfactory and feeding was without hesitation in each of the guns tried. Actual muzzle velocities exceed the "1050 ft/sec" printed on the box. There were no malfunctions.

This 5-shot group was fired with the Defender at 15 yards. Shooting was done in slow-fire, with two-hand hold and from a seated position.

The "Compact Gun Load" is reportedly tweaked to provide performance meeting today's accepted expansion/penetration standards and at standard pressures, not +P.

For those interested in more detail, click on the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corb ... %20DPX.htm

Best.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

Thank you for the review. This is very interesting since my main carry is a Kimber Ultra Compact. I had tried a other offereings from corbon, including powrball. All were almost too hot to handle. The gun almost jumped out of my hand the first time I shot Powrball. I wasn't prepared for how hot it actually was.

Is this stuff available to the general public yet?

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello. Yes, I believe it is available now.

Best.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I fired some of this ammo though several different pistols this week and was quite surprised at how little muzzle flip there was considering it's "+P" designation.
Pistols used were:

HK USPc
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Taurus PT 145 Millenium Pro
Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion

All the above fed and ejected the DPX without any failures. Accuracy was between 2-3" at 15 yards in all guns.

Return to “Camp's Corner”