Bought a Ruger SP101

Renown Browning Hi Power Expert - Stephen A. Camp. Unfortunately, Stephen passed away and he will be greatly missed.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Bought a Ruger SP101

Post by Stephen A. Camp »

Hello.

Picked this one up the other day and plan to wring it out thoroughly before long. It's initial range trip indicated considerably better than expected results.

Best.

Braden
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Braden »

I like Ruger. They make a nice gun. Good choice!!
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

Looks just like one I got years ago for student training. The double action trigger needed a little work and I put a little bigger grip on it to help with recoil. It's still running fine - and probably will be long after we're all dead and gone. Accuracy has been quite acceptable, considering of course the primary purpose, design of the sights - and the operators. :wink: Will await your review after wring-out of that one. :)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Sp 101

Post by longtooth »

Excellent choice. Ruger is the only revolver I have carried. I really like them as above. Wish I had another. :wink:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Range Report...

Hello. Yesterday I was able to get to the range with the SP101. My ammo bin is low on .357 Magnum ammunition and I found only three factory loads, one of which I prompty forgot and left at home! Thus, I was able to shoot the gun with only two .357 loads. Several .38 Special loads were fired in addition to the the magnum rounds.

Firing was done at two distances, 7 and 15 yards. At the closer range, all shooting was done double-action with a two-hand hold and as quickly as a "flash sight picture" could be obtained. At 15 yards, all shooting was slow-fire. It was done in single-action and from a rest.

Chronograph figures are based on 10 shots fired approximately 10' from the chronograph screens.

38 Remington 130-gr. FMJ: 821 ft/sec

38 Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P: 906 ft/sec

357 Remington 125-gr. GS: 1189 ft/sec

357 Winchester 145-gr. STHP: 1207 ft/sec

My revolver hit a bit low with .38 Special ammuntion, but was dead-bang on with the Winchester 145-gr. STHP in .357 Magnum. It was also "on" with the mid-velocity Remington 125-gr. Golden Sabers.

The groups from both of the loads shown are about the same. The Remington was much more easy to handle at speed than the Winchester, more so than the paper figures might initially indicate. Felt recoil is subjective, but for me, such is the case.

For those interested, a more detailed report including more ammunition results can be found at the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Ruge ... Report.htm

Best.

tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

I used to have the 2" bobbed hammer version......that is until I let my wife shoot it for the first time. It now belongs to her and SHE has put about 600 rounds through it. She has small hands and the grip fits her perfectly. She can control the gun in rapid fire pretty good, even with the 158gr Hornady XTP's I hand load for her.

I even shot this gun with some factory 180gr. Federal HP's and it was a little rough on recoil but hit the target at point of aim.
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I've managed to work in a few range sessions with the SP101 since the previous posts were put out and continue to be most favorably impressed with this revolver. The action has slicked up very nicely and hitting falling plates as fast as the sights can find them at 15 yards is much easier than might initally be expected with magnum loads. Timing remains just fine and I really like being able to easily "stage" the double-action trigger pull in the quicker type shooting.

Other than to smooth and radius the sharp edges on the sides of the trigger, this revolver's only custom work has been shooting. For now, I will probably not be altered in any form or fashion as it is meeting all expectations now.

If you happen to be interested in a compact, all-steel revolver in .357/.38, I truly believe the SP101 is worth a hard look.

Best.

longtooth

easy look

Post by longtooth »

I have taught several ladies to shoot. I know why Tex45 lost his. The ladies that chose a revolver picked this one. Wish I had another. Said that before so me & money need to quit talking & go find one I guess.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
Stephen A. Camp

Hello. I believe in the "pair and a spare" theory of handguns that "work" for me and have my eyes opened for another clean SP101.

Best and thanks to all for the replies.

tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

Back Up Guns (BUG) are essential. You never know what can happen out there. Whats really great about the SP-101 is it is small enouth to carry as a BUG for the primary of the same gun. I have carried mine many times as a BUG and as a primary as well.
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

Return to “Camp's Corner”