UPDATE: A New Rule on quoting work from other sources

UPDATE: A New Rule on quoting work from other sources

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:47 pm

The Rule that prohibited any and all quoting of other material has been repealed. An amended Rule 19 takes it place and is quoted below. The new rule allows the posting of material under reasonable conditions that both allow its use for educational and discussion purposes, while preserving any copyright interests that may exist.

Chas.

Rule 19 wrote:19. Posting material from other sources - When quoting material from other websites or sources, the following rules apply:
    a. Give credit to the author and publication either at the beginning of the quote, or at the end. When the format allows, put the title of the article at the beginning;
    b. Do not post the entire article, post no more than 200 words or 10% of the article, whichever is less;
    c. Enclose the material in quotation marks or use italic font to clearly identify the material as a quote;
    d. Include a link to the website that contains the material or, if the material is not from a website, fully identify the source including the author.
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: UPDATE: A New Rule on quoting work from other sources

Postby Lumberjack98 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:47 pm

I like the change.

Thanks Charles!
Texas XD Practical Shooters Association
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member
Lumberjack98

Postby TXlaw1 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:48 pm

This make sense, Charles. A big improvement from the ban. Thank you. :tiphat:
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)
TXlaw1

Postby OldCurlyWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:11 am

The way it should have been to begin with under the "Fair Use Doctrine" of copyright law.
Follows All of their rules.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison
OldCurlyWolf

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:37 am

OldCurlyWolf wrote:The way it should have been to begin with under the "Fair Use Doctrine" of copyright law.
Follows All of their rules.

The problem is there are no rules; everything is court interpretation. The "Fair Use Doctrine" is vague and a standard applied in one case may be rejected in the next case in the same court. The reason I changed the rule is because I took steps to protect the forum from frivolous claims.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Postby sf340b » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:10 am

Not a quote from another source but overheard everywhere is "settled law" or "the courts have said". What is not mentioned is that there were two sides to every case. I can see where the law can be very vague in numerous areas.

Like the change.
sf340b

Postby steve817 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The problem is there are no rules; everything is court interpretation. The "Fair Use Doctrine" is vague and a standard applied in one case may be rejected in the next case in the same court. The reason I changed the rule is because I took steps to protect the forum from frivolous claims.

Chas.

And I'm sure it was a good idea. I know of at least one gun blog that has been shut down.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan
steve817

Return to Legal Notices