TX: Lubbock potential self defense death occurs

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TX: Lubbock potential self defense death occurs

Post by dlh »

It is my understanding they had the A.G.'s office present the case to the grand jury due to local conflicts.
I wonder if the A.G. recommended a no bill, true bill, or simply presented the case with no recommendation?
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

dlh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:06 pm It is my understanding they had the A.G.'s office present the case to the grand jury due to local conflicts.
I wonder if the A.G. recommended a no bill, true bill, or simply presented the case with no recommendation?
What is the difference in a no-bill and a true bill? I don't think I ever heard of a "true bill".

dlh
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dlh »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:12 pm
dlh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:06 pm It is my understanding they had the A.G.'s office present the case to the grand jury due to local conflicts.
What is the difference in a no-bill and a true bill? I don't think I ever heard of a "true bill".
A true bill means the defendant is indicted and will proceed to trial. A no bill simply means no indictment at this time.

I am not connected to this law firm but you can read more about it here:

https://www.recordgone.com/articles/tex ... le%20cause.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

dlh wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:55 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:12 pm
A true bill means the defendant is indicted and will proceed to trial. A no bill simply means no indictment at this time.

I am not connected to this law firm but you can read more about it here:

https://www.recordgone.com/articles/tex ... le%20cause.
OK... I got it. Thanks. :tiphat:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:46 pm
AndyC1911 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:50 pm
threoh8 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:02 pm Just posting an update. The Grand Jury no-billed him.

No charges for Kyle Carruth in Chad Read Shooting
He should buy a lottery ticket.
He may also want to buy a rabbits foot. No-Billed does not mean innocent. They could decide to bring it back to grand jury at a later date. I am not saying they will, but it is not the same as being called innocent in a trial. I lived under the fog of a No-Bill for several years. Mine was no billed as self defense but my attorney told me to try and not get involved in a similar use of deadly force for awhile that they could always bring it back to the grand jury. Maybe he was wrong? I never questioned it.
Cases can be presented to a grand jury multiple times, including different grand juries. In my view, this is wrong and should not be the case except with extremely rare fact-patterns.

Chas.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”