Arlington Parks Mall Shooting

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Arlington Parks Mall Shooting

Post by carlson1 »

Quick story as I understand thr police update: argument starts over one talking to another’s girlfriend. Seventeen year old pulls out gun and hits eighteen year old. He then drops the gun. The eighteen year old oicks it up and shoots the seventeen year old and then accidentally shoots a lady who is not involved in any way. I would assume self defense except the lady who was not involved???

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/texas/news/ ... -shooting/
… According to the news release, the gun fell out of Harris' hand and was picked up by Jackson who fired it at Harris, hitting him in the arm. A 38-year-old woman who was nearby was also struck by a bullet in the leg. She was not involved in the fight….

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Arlington Parks Mall Shooting

Post by C-dub »

Can the shooter claim self-defense it the attacker had dropped the gun and the shooter picked it up? Also, seeing as how neither could legally possess the handgun in public. Unless I'm mistaken on whether or not an 18 can carry according constitutional carry in Texas. That I don't remember.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JRG »

The wife and I ate at the Red Lobster really near that Mall tonight. Lots of traffic in the area. Neither she nor I had any interest in walking around the Mall.

Joe

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

C-dub wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:55 pm Can the shooter claim self-defense it the attacker had dropped the gun and the shooter picked it up? Also, seeing as how neither could legally possess the handgun in public. Unless I'm mistaken on whether or not an 18 can carry according constitutional carry in Texas. That I don't remember.
The Mall used to be posted 30.06 and so was the Cheesecake Factory. I just assume they are posted with everything now. .05/.06/.07.
JRG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:55 pm The wife and I ate at the Red Lobster really near that Mall tonight. Lots of traffic in the area. Neither she nor I had any interest in walking around the Mall.
Joe
I avoid all Malls. I have not been in the Irving Mall in the last 5 years probably twice. My wife does go into the JC Penny's Eye mart that is attached to the mall in Hurst, but I set in the car.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Are 18 year olds under Constitutional Carry legally able to carry?

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:57 pm Are 18 year olds under Constitutional Carry legally able to carry?
Yes sir. They are.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Vol Texan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:10 pm
carlson1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:57 pm Are 18 year olds under Constitutional Carry legally able to carry?
Yes sir. They are.
Thanks. Next question, other than the bystander who was shot, would this not then be self defense?

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Sigh. Another reason why I'm not a fan of constitutional carry. I actually go to this mall, and Northpark, fairly often as far as malls go. But strictly for the movie theater. I only go during the day and almost always a matinee showing. Never at night.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:40 am Sigh. Another reason why I'm not a fan of constitutional carry. I actually go to this mall, and Northpark, fairly often as far as malls go. But strictly for the movie theater. I only go during the day and almost always a matinee showing. Never at night.
I may be wrong, but thugs like these aren't incentivized by permit-less carry laws.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

puma guy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:37 am I may be wrong, but thugs like these aren't incentivized by permit-less carry laws.
True but certainly clears up the grey area of who is legal to carry or not i.e. background check for License To Carry and some thug "who is of age" and wants to carry a gun because he feels he has the right to because of constitutional carry. One more charge to tack on as well.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:21 am
puma guy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:37 am I may be wrong, but thugs like these aren't incentivized by permit-less carry laws.
True but certainly clears up the grey area of who is legal to carry or not i.e. background check for License To Carry and some thug "who is of age" and wants to carry a gun because he feels he has the right to because of constitutional carry. One more charge to tack on as well.
Even thugs have 2A rights until convicted of a crime. Last time I read the 2A it didn't mention thugs or thugless people. Being a thug, jerk, dunce, idiot, fool, dolt, or blockhead doesn't disqualify a citizen from their 2A right to carry a firearm.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:42 am Even thugs have 2A rights until convicted of a crime. Last time I read the 2A it didn't mention thugs or thugless people. Being a thug, jerk, dunce, idiot, fool, dolt, or blockhead doesn't disqualify a citizen from their 2A right to carry a firearm.
Unless they were convicted of a crime. We'll likely never know, like the State Fair shooter.

I know several "thugs" (some I'm even related to) that illegal carry. It's been my experience that good, law abiding citizens, that are lawfully carrying, don't find themselves in those situations and get into shootouts in a mall.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

anygunanywhere wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:42 am
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:21 am
Even thugs have 2A rights until convicted of a crime. Last time I read the 2A it didn't mention thugs or thugless people. Being a thug, jerk, dunce, idiot, fool, dolt, or blockhead doesn't disqualify a citizen from their 2A right to carry a firearm.
I wasn't addressing the ability to possess a firearm by a thug or anyone and I never said they don't have 2nd Amendment rights. I just don't think permit-less carry is the cause of incidents such as the one reported and don't worry that it will lead to blood on the streets.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JRG

Post by JRG »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:21 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:55 pm Can the shooter claim self-defense it the attacker had dropped the gun and the shooter picked it up? Also, seeing as how neither could legally possess the handgun in public. Unless I'm mistaken on whether or not an 18 can carry according constitutional carry in Texas. That I don't remember.
The Mall used to be posted 30.06 and so was the Cheesecake Factory. I just assume they are posted with everything now. .05/.06/.07.
JRG wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:55 pm The wife and I ate at the Red Lobster really near that Mall tonight. Lots of traffic in the area. Neither she nor I had any interest in walking around the Mall.
Joe
I avoid all Malls. I have not been in the Irving Mall in the last 5 years probably twice. My wife does go into the JC Penny's Eye mart that is attached to the mall in Hurst, but I set in the car.
We also haven't been to a mall, any mall, in years. Debbie cannot walk very far and thus far refuses to consider a scooter. So that's just another reason to avoid malls.

Joe

jmra

Post by jmra »

JRG wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:34 pm
carlson1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:21 pm
Joe
We also haven't been to a mall, any mall, in years. Debbie cannot walk very far and thus far refuses to consider a scooter. So that's just another reason to avoid malls.

Joe
I’m at the point where I avoid crowds all together.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”