Active Shooter Standoff continues in Odessa

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
lrb111
Posts in topic: 3

Active Shooter Standoff continues in Odessa

Post by lrb111 »

http://www.cbs7kosa.com/news/details.asp?ID=21599" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kwes.com/Global/story.asp?S=13174909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://permianbasin360.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=75715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An off-the-grid type of survivalist somehow shot two sheriff's deputies and a helpful citizen yesterday (Fri 9-17-2010). He took off in the deputy's vehicle. They are believed have him surrounded at his compound in West Odessa, this morning.
He was on the police radio yesterday taunting the local sheriff Mark Donaldson to come out and shoot him.
One of his neighbors that had been to the man's home in the last few years was describing the tunnels & bunkers under his house. He also went through a list of weapons, including Aks, pipe bombs, booby traps, and lots of ammo. One person said he was sure there were mined areas of his property.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Beiruty

Re: Active Shooter Standoff continues in Odessa

Post by Beiruty »

He has to sleep!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Mando'a
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mando'a »

Just curious as to how these guys get all the time and money to build bunkers, tunnel systems, buy weapons & ammo, booby traps, and possibly land mines...

Didn't see any articles how this guy made a living.
took chl renewal course 11/7/09
sent in paperwork 11/12/09
received new chl 12/09/09

NRA member
Glock 22
Bushmaster Texas Carbine (XM15-E2S)

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

I have to wonder about the reporter that put out this gem:
Medical Center Hospital is in an emergency mode so if you have an emergency you are asked to go to Odessa Regional Medical Center.
:headscratch

(I know what the message is supposed to be, but it could have been written with a little thought.)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Medical Center is prepared to take in people injured while ending the standoff, as such it is 100% ready for dealing with trauma victims and they do not want to be distracted with anything "minor".

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that all three shooting victims are alive and expected to recover.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

From the very sketchy info available at this point, I suspect this may be a "suicide by cop" in the making. Unfortunately, it sounds like he's determined to take others with him in a manner he hopes will garner him lots of attention.

This will be a major challenge to resolve successfully without loss of innocent life.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Excaliber wrote:From the very sketchy info available at this point, I suspect this may be a "suicide by cop" in the making. Unfortunately, it sounds like he's determined to take others with him in a manner he hopes will garner him lots of attention.

This will be a major challenge to resolve successfully without loss of innocent life.
He's in a remote compound all by himself telling the cops to come and kill him? I smell an Air Force training exercise.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Bunker Buster. Problem solved.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

He is in custody now.

There are 2 in custody. http://permianbasin360.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=75885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,

McKnife

Post by McKnife »

All of these news stories describing what this guy is capable of in his 'compound' with his 'assault weapons cache' and 'pipebomb matireals' makes me wonder what the media would say if they had to describe me in my neighborhood 'compound.' *sigh* :confused5
:coolgleamA:

Topic author
lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Beiruty wrote:He is in custody now.

There are 2 in custody. http://permianbasin360.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=75885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One of the other channels had Sheriff Donaldson saying they "have one person in custody and he was the one they wanted." Asked if it was White he gave an affirmative head nod.

There was an explosion that started the fire about 12:30. The black smoke was fully underway at 1:00. I did not go out there but saw the smoke, from the west loop around town.

It's gonna suck to be him.

No one has mentioned if this guy, Victor White, is any relation to Larry White. Larry White is the guy that shotgunned three Odessa Police officers as they came through his back gate. That was about two years ago, iirc. He is yet to go to trial.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

It seems that a "guy with bunker" story pops up every few months or so. I wonder how many "bunkers" are out there?

NOS

Post by NOS »

mctowalot wrote:It seems that a "guy with bunker" story pops up every few months or so. I wonder how many "bunkers" are out there?
I think it boils down to how the media defines bunker. I'm still not totally sure of their definition, but I think I have it basically narrowed down.

"Bunker" Defined by the media as... Any room big enough to house more than one long gun (see Assault Weapon) and a pistol, and having ammunition (see Explosive Devices) for said guns in quantity's over 50 rounds.

As far as I can tell, we are all at risk of being found to have a bunker, at least by the media's definition. :roll:

That being said, I think this guy is just another nut looking for media attention. He got it, and will get more as well. People like this sure don't make it easy on law abiding citizens to keep their 2A rights in tact. :banghead:
06/06/2010 Class Taken
06/17/2010 Packet Mailed
06/19/2010 Packet Received
07/07/2010 Status Online/Application Missing
07/12/2010 Mailed New Application
07/15/2010 Application Complete
08/18/2010 Fingerprints Complete
08/24/2010 Background Complete
08/27/2010 Mailed
09/01/2010 Plastic

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Shooting at LEOs, and one more civilian, now the offender is looking for some long long time in the iron castle. How about a life scentence?
Beiruty,

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

lrb111 wrote: No one has mentioned if this guy, Victor White, is any relation to Larry White.
Maybe he is related to Bill White, our wanna be governor candidate. :smilelol5:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”