Galveston: Suicide + accidental shooting of friend

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Galveston: Suicide + accidental shooting of friend

Post by seamusTX »

According to a police report, a 35-year-old Florida resident was staying in a rental house in Galveston for the motorcycle rally that took place this weekend. The man reportedly started talking about killing himself over his impending divorce. He produced a handgun. A 32-year-old friend of the man tried to stop him. The man fatally shot himself in the head. The bullet then entered the head of the friend who was trying to stop him. The friend is now in intensive care.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/270510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clue: If you're going to off yourself, do it in a secluded location where the coyotes can pick your bones clean, instead of acting out a made-for-TV drama in front of your friends or family.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

schufflerbot
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Galveston: Suicide + accidental shooting of friend

Post by schufflerbot »

wow.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:According to a police report, a 35-year-old Florida resident was staying in a rental house in Galveston for the motorcycle rally that took place this weekend. The man reportedly started talking about killing himself over his impending divorce. He produced a handgun. A 32-year-old friend of the man tried to stop him. The man fatally shot himself in the head. The bullet then entered the head of the friend who was trying to stop him. The friend is now in intensive care.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/270510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clue: If you're going to off yourself, do it in a secluded location where the coyotes can pick your bones clean, instead of acting out a made-for-TV drama in front of your friends or family.

- Jim

I agree. It is extremely rude of someone to create such a mess for others indoors. Display a little courtesy and shoot yourself, slit your wrists, etc. outdoors. Thank you.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Oldgringo wrote:
seamusTX wrote:According to a police report, a 35-year-old Florida resident was staying in a rental house in Galveston for the motorcycle rally that took place this weekend. The man reportedly started talking about killing himself over his impending divorce. He produced a handgun. A 32-year-old friend of the man tried to stop him. The man fatally shot himself in the head. The bullet then entered the head of the friend who was trying to stop him. The friend is now in intensive care.

- Jim

I agree. It is extremely rude of someone to create such a mess for others indoors. Display a little courtesy and shoot yourself, slit your wrists, etc. outdoors. Thank you.
Go to Home Depot and buy plastic sheeting, that's how I prepare bodies for easy cle... oh wait, wrong forum. :leaving

All joking aside, if you know someone that is acting strange: QPR (Question Persuade Refer)

ELB

Post by ELB »

seamusTX wrote:...

- Jim
And if you really want to add to the drama, botch the job, blow off half your face, and lay there slobbering your breath through your own blood (which is also all over the bed, the walls, etc). That really impresses the family.

But of course the reality is that someone who is despondent enough to kill himself or herself does not necessarily have the capacity to care about the effect on others. Or if he does, he just may want others to see the results...
USAF 1982-2005

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

ELB wrote:And if you really want to add to the drama, botch the job, blow off half your face, and lay there slobbering your breath through your own blood (which is also all over the bed, the walls, etc). That really impresses the family.
I had that call once. 12g under the chin...made him look like the predator. He lived for about 4 months after the fact.
ELB wrote:But of course the reality is that someone who is despondent enough to kill himself or herself does not necessarily have the capacity to care about the effect on others. Or if he does, he just may want others to see the results...
Suicide is selfish and in many cases a desperate cry for help/attention. Attention in any form is a win for them....even if they aren't around to see it.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I don't want to get too far into the psychological aspects of suicide, but it often has a component of revenge and spite against the survivors. It is not simply a "final exit."

Someone who just wants to shuffle off this mortal coil can go swimming off East Jetty in Galveston or the Texas City Dike. It's hard enough to come back from either of those places if the swimmer really wants to live. I've lost track of the number of drownings this year.

- Jim

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Years ago I decided that if I ever wanted to commit suicide I would run myself to death.

That way, if I have second thoughts I can just sit down and think about it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Oldgringo wrote:I agree. It is extremely rude of someone to create such a mess for others indoors. Display a little courtesy and shoot yourself, slit your wrists, etc. outdoors. Thank you.
Had a neighbor do that a few years ago...
Walked out in the yard, shot himself in the head.

Felt bad for his family (wife, kids). Thought it was decent of him at the time, to do it in the yard after the kids left for school.

Selfish, unforgivable, but decent.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:I agree. It is extremely rude of someone to create such a mess for others indoors. Display a little courtesy and shoot yourself, slit your wrists, etc. outdoors. Thank you.
Had a neighbor do that a few years ago...
Walked out in the yard, shot himself in the head.

Felt bad for his family (wife, kids). Thought it was decent of him at the time, to do it in the yard after the kids left for school.

Selfish, unforgivable, but decent.
Thass whut ahm talkin' 'bout!

SnIpErMoMmY8510

Post by SnIpErMoMmY8510 »

Pawpaw wrote:Years ago I decided that if I ever wanted to commit suicide I would run myself to death.

That way, if I have second thoughts I can just sit down and think about it.

or you could try and hold your breathe until your suffocate yourself!

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

Ignorance of the psychological events or mind set that often leads people to suicide makes others say ignorant things. Proof is all around us… as close as this thread in fact.

If I was so inclined to look, many such posters would have in other threads posted about prayers, and religious believes, Christianity, forgiveness, and many other like-minded tenants. How interesting that those ideas go by the way side in reference to things by their own postings they seem not to understand.

Suicide is a final solution to often a temporary problem, and having been involved with the before, during and after of more than a few I can say, it is often not preventable (you won’t always know they are about to do something like this). Often, the person is mentally incapable of understanding the feelings of selfishness, or hate to another… I’m not a doc, don’t have a medical degree.. but I have 26 years of experience observing the before, during and aftermath of 5 successful suicides, 3 failures who were committed, just messed it up, more suicidal ideations then I can count any more.

In talking with two that tried, failed, and lived (somewhat) though the illness.. at the time selfishness was not a understood thought at the time, though afterwards embarrassment and anger at them self’s for having put family and friends though the event was real…. Very real..
One was later successful in his quest.. When an IED blew him in to several parts... one struggles every day but lives morning to waking morning and remembers, the guy that died next to him that day, it’s not his fault the sniper shot the guy next to the him, and not my RTO.. Which is whom the sniper was aiming for. ..
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I apologize for being snarky about this particular event.

One man killed himself over a divorce. However painful, millions of people have survived a divorce and moved on with life. That man also wounded someone who was trying to help him, either fatally (time will tell) or with a serious injury and possibly permanent brain damage.

- Jim

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

seamusTX wrote:I don't want to get too far into the psychological aspects of suicide, but it often has a component of revenge and spite against the survivors. It is not simply a "final exit."

Someone who just wants to shuffle off this mortal coil can go swimming off East Jetty in Galveston or the Texas City Dike. It's hard enough to come back from either of those places if the swimmer really wants to live. I've lost track of the number of drownings this year.

- Jim
One of my EMT trainers, after we had a run of suicides in our area right before I took my renewal (I don't know if someone was trying to send me a message) told us that the presence of an audience often led to a more determined attempt by the actor. The theory was that the presence of friends reduced the likelihood of backing off from the threat because the suicide didn't want to be seen as chickening out.

Sounded reasonable to me at the time, but I don't know if things have changed, my EMT expired in 1987.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 2

Post by E.Marquez »

jimlongley wrote:
seamusTX wrote:I don't want to get too far into the psychological aspects of suicide, but it often has a component of revenge and spite against the survivors. It is not simply a "final exit."

- Jim
One of my EMT trainers, after we had a run of suicides in our area right before I took my renewal (I don't know if someone was trying to send me a message) told us that the presence of an audience often led to a more determined attempt by the actor. The theory was that the presence of friends reduced the likelihood of backing off from the threat because the suicide didn't want to be seen as chickening out.

Sounded reasonable to me at the time, but I don't know if things have changed, my EMT expired in 1987.
Interesting.. had not thought of it that way.
As my experience is tied to a very small demographic of the populace (data as of 2 years ago, only 26% of the US population age 18-26 is even eligible to serve in the US military, and less than 1% is serving today), my observations may not be representative across the average US populace. .. So I could be way off in what I see , vs what others observe.

The other thoughts I presented above I stand by. :patriot:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “The Crime Blotter”