Sometimes it's best to stay uninvolved

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

Sometimes it's best to stay uninvolved

Post by rp_photo »

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=8553086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We CHL's are taught not to intervene if not in danger ourselves, and this is a great example.

In this case I'm assuming that the victims didn't have weapons, which would make this even more important.

Just be a good witness, as they say.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

SavageMythology

Re: Sometimes it's best to stay uninvolved

Post by SavageMythology »

In this case, I agree with you. The two women were not in any immediate danger, but put themselves in such by making their presence known and thus making them a danger to the burglar. They should have called the police instead and documented everything they possibly could about the situation and suspect.

Of course, this is not taking into account possible variables such as the presence of people in the apartment which was being broken in to. The two women may have known the tenents of that unit, if there were any, and wanted to protect them from possible harm. If that was case, then I can't say that I really blame them for what they did.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

It seems calling the police first would have been the better move in this situation. It sounded like the BG ran into their apartment after they yelled at him. That is pretty unusual behavior for a bad guy. In that scenario, I am not sure I would call, hollering at him, a bad move. It turned out bad, but simply hollering at the guy from a different location does not seem risky on the surface. I don't think they went downstairs and confronted him. Calling the cops should have been first move in any case.

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

That story is so badly written that I am still not sure what went down. :confused5
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

sugar land dave wrote:That story is so badly written that I am still not sure what went down. :confused5
:iagree:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RoyGBiv wrote:
sugar land dave wrote:That story is so badly written that I am still not sure what went down. :confused5
Yep... I had a little trouble knowing what happened also. I have the visual that the two ladies heard noise in the apartment below them. they scream at the guy to go away... he then came upstairs and attacked them??? Afterward, he jumped out their window?

LOL... maybe he was on crack!

philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philip964 »

All I heard on the radio was that they yelled at the robber to stop and he turned and started shooting at them.

Note to self, do not yell stop at any robber unless you are armed and already have your gun out.

Child whose mother was in the hospital said the man was wearing a black hoodie.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote:Child whose mother was in the hospital said the man was wearing a black hoodie.
What the heck is the dealio with black hoodies? You'd think by now that pretty much everybody is suspiscious of people skulking around in black hoodies. You'd think people would react to a black hoodie just like bluejays when a crow shows up.
"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
philip964 wrote:Child whose mother was in the hospital said the man was wearing a black hoodie.
What the heck is the dealio with black hoodies? You'd think by now that pretty much everybody is suspiscious of people skulking around in black hoodies. You'd think people would react to a black hoodie just like bluejays when a crow shows up.
"rlol"
Gray hoodies also look suspicious to me. Image
NRA Endowment Member

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

When it's more than 80 degrees outside, all hoodies look suspicious.
ABIDE

fishfree

Post by fishfree »

rp_photo wrote:http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=8553086

We CHL's are taught not to intervene if not in danger ourselves, and this is a great example.

In this case I'm assuming that the victims didn't have weapons, which would make this even more important.

Just be a good witness, as they say.
Easier said then done viewtopic.php?f=108&t=53546. Do not rights also carry responsibilities? Granted hard decisions may be involved and sometimes wrong decisions will be made.

Glenn61

Post by Glenn61 »

The Dude wrote:When it's more than 80 degrees outside, all hoodies look suspicious.

Unfortunately, our society tends to pay little attention to their surroundings. That attitude left me pretty quick after my first deployments to several terrorist prone locations.
NRA Life Member
TX CHL - Apr 2012
USAF 1989-2011

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

fishfree wrote:Do not rights also carry responsibilities?
Your responsibilities end when you put yourself in danger for a stranger.
NRA Endowment Member

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Rights come with the responsibility to not abuse those rights. As the saying goes, your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
"rlol"
I am told by my son, that I should just say "he was dressed urban" that apparently is now the PC phrase for "black hoodie".

Return to “The Crime Blotter”