Mesquite TX - Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 3

Mesquite TX - Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot

Post by knotquiteawake »

He might have been better off saying he "missed". I don't think I totally agree with the law regarding jailing this guy for firing a warning shot into the ground on his own property. Had he waited for whoever to come in then he might have had to kill someone (a kid? a older person? who knows). Had he waited for police to show up his stuff might have been gone. Also, he wasn't the first one to call 911...
MESQUITE, Texas -
A Mesquite man was arrested and hauled off to jail for firing a shot into the ground of his own backyard. He says he was simply protecting his wife and property, but police called his actions reckless.
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/18661404/ ... rning-shot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Mesquite TX - Homeowner jailed for firing warning shot

Post by Rex B »

Interesting that the Mesquite PD website allows electronic communication, but only for officer commendations.
I guess if you don't have anything nice to say, they don't want to hear from you.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

Well, at least they arrested someone.

Cant come back empty handed

Topic author
knotquiteawake
Posts in topic: 3

Post by knotquiteawake »

I didn't listen to the video of the article but apparently from the comments below the homeowner had numerous warrents out on him. So there might be more to this than the basic article says.

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

According to the news report last night, the 'criminals' were leaving the homeowner's grounds when he shot the "warning shot" in the ground. The police said that he was careless.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

knotquiteawake wrote:I didn't listen to the video of the article but apparently from the comments below the homeowner had numerous warrents out on him. So there might be more to this than the basic article says.
IIRC, the Richardson, Texas PD had traffic warrantS on him. Richardson is about 19 miles from Mesquite.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by steveincowtown »

The real question is which was the dumber move:

#1> Firing the warning shot.

#2> Not being the first to call 911 (this is textbook).

#3> After not calling 911, volunteering to talk to the police.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is 100% in the wrong for not calling 911; but the choice he made to speak with the Police is ignorant and regrettable. What was the "upside" of him speaking with the police? There was no direct complainant/ "victim", only a phone call from a neighbor.

Dumb.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 19

Post by barstoolguru »

This is a clear case of not knowing the law; did him over react. He should have waited a few seconds and seen what their intention where and then reacted. It could have been kids looking for a friend’s house. Maybe a little pepper spray over the fence might have saved him a night in jail

sorry, you are asking for more trouble not talking to the cops and letting them come to their own conclusions
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

barstoolguru wrote:This is a clear case of not knowing the law; did him over react. He should have waited a few seconds and seen what their intention where and then reacted. It could have been kids looking for a friend’s house. Maybe a little pepper spray over the fence might have saved him a night in jail

sorry, you are asking for more trouble not talking to the cops and letting them come to their own conclusions
This has been beaten to death....I mean debated elsewhere in the forum, but here is a great link if you want to learn about the "upside" of talking to the police. It has a lawyer explain why, then a judge, then a cop, why you should not talk to the police.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back to the thread....

What conclusion could the police have made? Since there was not a victim (they didn't call, they ran) and the police were just following up to a reports of a gun fired I think any of the conclusions they could have randomly drawn would have put this man in less of a bind than the information the he provided to him.
Last edited by steveincowtown on Thu May 31, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

barstoolguru wrote:#3> After not calling 911, volunteering to talk to the police.
The cop is not the judge & jury. A police officer's conclusions are meaningless except in the immediate instance (i.e. - you might take a ride). Talking to a cop is a guaranteed ticket to self-incrimination of something. The best thing to do (as any reasonably competent lawyer will tell you) is refuse to speak and request your attorney.

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

I can hear it now cop: did you fire a gun?... not saying! was someone breaking in....not saying!...cop: put your hands behind your back..... homeowner: why!.... cop: not saying!
who much did two days in jail and a bail bonds man and a lawyer cost... not saying!
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

barstoolguru wrote:I can hear it now cop: did you fire a gun?... not saying! was someone breaking in....not saying!...cop: put your hands behind your back..... homeowner: why!.... cop: not saying!
who much did two days in jail and a bail bonds man and a lawyer cost... not saying!
What would of the LEO arrested him for in this scenario? There was no "victim" present to sign a complaint.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

For someone not talking to cops, the "not saying!" guy sure is talking a lot. :lol:

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

steveincowtown wrote:
barstoolguru wrote:I can hear it now cop: did you fire a gun?... not saying! was someone breaking in....not saying!...cop: put your hands behind your back..... homeowner: why!.... cop: not saying!
What would of the LEO arrested him for in this scenario? There was no "victim" present to sign a complaint.
He was getting arrested anyway for outstanding tickets but all he had to do say I heard the shot too and came out to see where it came from and it would have been all over with but not saying anything to the cops would be the wrong thing in this case as long as his wife shut her mouth

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

barstoolguru wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:
He was getting arrested anyway for outstanding tickets but all he had to do say I heard the shot too and came out to see where it came from and it would have been all over with but not saying anything to the cops would be the wrong thing in this case as long as his wife shut her mouth

Well I think that solves it.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”