Minn. Police Beat Man For Gun, Despite Permit

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Minn. Police Beat Man For Gun, Despite Permit

Post by Jumping Frog »

Minneapolis Man: Police Beat Me For Gun, Despite My Permit
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) - A Minneapolis man says he was beaten by police as he left a downtown nightclub.

Zachary King says he was walking to his car when police noticed his gun in his waist band. He claims he told police he had a permit to carry, but they still attacked him.
“I have my conceal and carry, and it’s my gun. And soon as I said that he grabbed me by my neck, slammed me against the wall, snatched my gun out the holster, started waving it in the air saying ‘gun, gun, gun,’” said King.
Five cops beating a licensed conceal carry holder who had done nothing wrong.

Sounds like those five police officers were feeling nostalgic for the old days after Rodney King's recent obituary.
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Minn. Police Beat Man For Gun, Despite Permit

Post by C-dub »

Kaching!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Just ask Erik Scott's estate how much ca-ching there is in suing the police.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Jumping Frog wrote:Just ask Erik Scott's estate how much ca-ching there is in suing the police.
You are correct. However, at least this victim survived and can give his side of what happened.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

"leaving a downtown nightclub" Was it also at 2 am? Was he drunk or had been drinking? Concealed means concealed. "noticed a gun in his waist band" Not in a holster? Oh. We all do that too, the not in a holster waist band thing. I'm sure he passed the attitude test too.

Sorry, I'm not the least bit sympathetic.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

philip964 wrote:"leaving a downtown nightclub" Was it also at 2 am? Was he drunk or had been drinking? Concealed means concealed. "noticed a gun in his waist band" Not in a holster? Oh. We all do that too, the not in a holster waist band thing. I'm sure he passed the attitude test too.

So you are saying he deserved to get beat? You sure are making a lot of assumptions here...
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think OC is legal in MN and I don't know about their restrictions on bars and guns.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

City of Austin Police Dept settlements seem to generally pay 250,000 to 750,000 in shootings/deaths, 175,000 if you are just shot and wounded, and Minneapolis pays 75,000 if they just tase you ...
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/sett ... n-e-austin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thursday's $750,000 settlement with the Sanders family and a separate $175,000 settlement with the victim's friend who was wounded by police gunfire on May 11,2009, will likely help alleviate some of the bitter feelings, ...
CITY (Minneapolis ) PAYS 75K TO SETTLE TASER LAWSUIT - YouTube
The city paid $75,000 to Ruiz in March 2010, plus $45,066 for his attorney's fees to settle the suit
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Legal claims against city have cost Austin taxpayers $14.5 million since '06
http://www.statesman.com/news/statesman ... tArticle=y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.google.com/search?q=austin+p ... 24&bih=636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

jrandyw

Post by jrandyw »

From the article linked above:

King suffered a concussion after five officers beat him on Father’s Day night. King says video of the assault was taken by a bystander. He says it all started when police noticed a bulge near his waist band.

“I have my conceal and carry, and it’s my gun. And soon as I said that he grabbed me by my neck, slammed me against the wall, snatched my gun out the holster, started waving it in the air saying ‘gun, gun, gun,’” said King.

So he wasn't carrying in the waistband. And while the initial statement in the article did make it sound like his weapon was visible, the later sentences make it sound more like they noticed a bulge. Its also sounds like after they noticed the bulge (but before they confirmed their suspicions) he stated he had a permit and it was in fact a gun in his waistband/holster.

It will be very interesting to see if any video did in fact capture the encounter as is stated in the article.
6/16/12 CHL
NRA Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

philip964 wrote:"leaving a downtown nightclub" Was it also at 2 am? Was he drunk or had been drinking? Concealed means concealed. "noticed a gun in his waist band" Not in a holster? Oh. We all do that too, the not in a holster waist band thing. I'm sure he passed the attitude test too.

Just...wow.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

philip964

Post by philip964 »

anygunanywhere wrote:

Just...wow.

Anygunanywhere
Ok it was in a waist band holster and it was not visible the initial report was incorrect. On new evidence I am moderating my earlier view. The incident has racial overtones as the CHL holder is Black and the police appeared to be Caucasian.

http://gillreport.com/2012/06/video-pol ... a-firearm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; video shows very little however, it does show a protest march in support of the CHL holder, that doesn't happen often.
Last edited by philip964 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

jrandyw wrote:From the article linked above:

King suffered a concussion after five officers beat him on Father’s Day night. King says video of the assault was taken by a bystander. He says it all started when police noticed a bulge near his waist band.

So he wasn't carrying in the waistband. And while the initial statement in the article did make it sound like his weapon was visible, the later sentences make it sound more like they noticed a bulge. Its also sounds like after they noticed the bulge (but before they confirmed their suspicions) he stated he had a permit and it was in fact a gun in his waistband/holster.

It will be very interesting to see if any video did in fact capture the encounter as is stated in the article.
Does anyone know if Minnesota is one of those "printing is a crime" states? There are a few, I just don't know which ones.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

philip964 wrote:The incident has racial overtones as the CHL holder is Black and the police appeared to be Caucasian.
:shock:

wow...
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Why is it automatically racial... Why can't it just be full of Idiot Overtones?

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

If the CHL victim was Caucasian, there would be no marching in the streets.
Just sayin'...
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “The Crime Blotter”